Fast Ice

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

blueliner5

Fast Ice

Post by blueliner5 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:47 pm

Ok for all you x zamboni drivers/arena workers was wondering what concept is there to make hard and fast ice? Coon Rapids has a new beautiful rink, but I was at the Girls HS game this past weekend and resurfacing between periods the ice would not harden to a dry surface. The ice was wet from end to end and the game was delayed due to this. Talking to some of the players they feel like they are going in slow motion compared to the old Cook Arena. Any tips you can give the folks operating this nice facility

northern_guy

Re: Fast Ice

Post by northern_guy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:14 pm

blueliner5 wrote:Ok for all you x zamboni drivers/arena workers was wondering what concept is there to make hard and fast ice? Coon Rapids has a new beautiful rink, but I was at the Girls HS game this past weekend and resurfacing between periods the ice would not harden to a dry surface. The ice was wet from end to end and the game was delayed due to this. Talking to some of the players they feel like they are going in slow motion compared to the old Cook Arena. Any tips you can give the folks operating this nice facility
call the MAC in st. cloud...they remodelled, put in a geothermal system and replaced cooling lines and it is hard/fast ice in a reasonably warm building...only cost the tax payers a ton of money. its a bad system they have if they cant cool the ice fast enough. tune up a pinto all you want but it wont be a ferrari

Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:40 pm

From what I've heard - ice that is too thick may be a cause. One indicator of thick ice is lines/dots that are harder to distinguish/blurry.

GordonBombay99

Post by GordonBombay99 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:34 pm

I think this is usually a problem found in many newer rinks until they figure out how the ice will work in a new building. Like mentioned before the thickness plays a huge roll in it, the amount of water layed down and the temp in the building also. The post above on the MAC, that ice they have there now is great compared to how it used to be, its very hard, the only downfall is that snow tends to build up more on harder ice, but ask anyone and most of them would say that they would take that over soft ice any day.

Zamman

Post by Zamman » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:44 pm

Agree....gotta give them a year or so to work the kinks out of the system. Try less Water and cut more to shrink the ice. Turn the compressor down a degree or so. I will tell you this: Ice at the Richfield Arena is in great shape and ready for some hockey.....

GordonBombay99

Post by GordonBombay99 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:59 pm

Zamman wrote:Agree....gotta give them a year or so to work the kinks out of the system. Try less Water and cut more to shrink the ice. Turn the compressor down a degree or so. I will tell you this: Ice at the Richfield Arena is in great shape and ready for some hockey.....
Gotta love fresh ice at the start of the hockey season! Actually gotta love fresh and great ice for the whole season!

C-dad

Post by C-dad » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:30 am

Another factor often misunderstood is the humidity in the building. Too high a dewpoint in the building will slow the set-up of the ice, cause soft and slow ice surface. If they don't have a dehumidifier, or it is not yet running correctly that can contribute to the issue.

Using at least softened, if not de-ionized, water will cause the ice to set-up faster too.

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:01 pm

When I went to the WBL-Hill game last year at the new Vadnais arena I noticed that it took a long time to freeze after resurfacing. I 'm pretty sure they used two Zambonis to resurface, too. I'm sure it takes some fine tuning between all of the variable at play.

ndirishfighting

Post by ndirishfighting » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:57 am

Snake pit in coleraine always had and am sure still does have hard fast ice. Conditioner and 1 compressor fully on the other compressor 1/2 on. Ice temp 15-20, seating temp about 40-45