2011-2012 Mr Hockey Watch List

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

57special

Post by 57special » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:43 pm

Curt Giles is well liked by his players. He is a down to earth, shy guy from Northern Manitoba who enjoys passing on his knowledge of the game to kids, whether they be 8 or 18.

Walker might be one of those kids who doesn't see himself spending much time in a classroom after he finishes High School. Might be that Major Junior is the right fit for him. Just like some Canadian kids prefer the US College route, some US kids are a better fit up there.

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:21 am

I think that is the big question....where exactly is the whl a route to? By my count there are 57 major junior teams in Canada, after you factor in players from Europe, US colleges and all the other junior leagues what are the realistic chances of moving on to meaningful professional hockey. Obviously Ben feels this is the right path to take but I just can't help wondering what the WHL is selling him as far as his future in hockey is concerned. I pray he lights it up and goes on to big and better things.

mngopherfan

Post by mngopherfan » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:29 am

keepyourheadup wrote:I reluctantly support Ben's choice if that is truly what he wants but he was hardly a dominating player in the elite league this fall. As a ten year old He was, IMO, the best player in the state but hasn't produced at nearly the same rate in the years since. The competition will be better but if I'm not mistaken he was elidgible to be drafted last year. So its two years in the WHL and then what? The high school hockey landscape is changing very quickly, I'm afraid before too long it will be a shadow of what it once was. Good luck to Ben and I really hope this decision works out well for him.
Couldn't agree more. The WHL is a great league, but I don't see the benefit of leaving when he is. He has the rest of this year, next year then he has to be one of 3 overage kids on the team to play another year. If kids from MN are going to go play Major Jr, get the most out of it...go as a 16 year old. That being said, best wishes to him...he can boogie, hopefully it turns out well for him!

Tenoverpar

MAJ

Post by Tenoverpar » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:55 am

The WHL is scouted by the NHL every night and every game. Minnesota High School hockey games (outside of the Elite League and the State Tournament) are not. I know this is shocking to everyone and can't possibly be true, but it is. The WHL produces more NHL draft picks than any other league. So, if the players dream is play in the NHL, then is there a bettter place to be?

oh, and please save all the stay and home and play with your friends, you'll still make it talk. We all know about that top 1% that has, and yes, it's one of many many routes. Good luck to the young man and his leap of faith.

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:23 am

Tenover you kind of made my point for me, Ben was draft eligible last year, best case senario it he does great and signs as a free agent. I'm all for letting a kid chase his dream but from the outside looking in this one just doesn't seem to fit the mold. Best of luck to Ben, he has been a joy to watch the last 10 years.

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:25 am

Further discussion about Mr. Walker should be continued here:

http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26392

Since he is leaving high school, he's no longer a candidate for Mr. Hockey.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

mngopherfan

Post by mngopherfan » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:35 am

keepyourheadup wrote:Tenover you kind of made my point for me, Ben was draft eligible last year, best case senario it he does great and signs as a free agent. I'm all for letting a kid chase his dream but from the outside looking in this one just doesn't seem to fit the mold. Best of luck to Ben, he has been a joy to watch the last 10 years.
Exactly, not to mention there were scouts and more Edina games than not the last couple years. I'm sure plenty of teams came and watched Everson and Fogarty last year (not to mention the bevy of talent in the lake conf). If Walker didn't stand out then, I have a hard time believing he'll stand out in a better league. Once again, best wishes to the kid...hope he proves me wrong.

D6Rocks

Post by D6Rocks » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:14 am

Kloos, Kloos, Kloos.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:04 am

North

Travis Underwood - Grand Rapids?
Jared Thomas - Hermantown
JT Kohlquist - Hermantown
Trevor Olson - Duluth East
Terry Leabo - Moorhead?
Judd Peterson - Duluth Marshall?