Breck (0-0) vs. St Cloud Cathedral (0-0) 11-25-11 5pm

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Poll ended at Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:56 am

Breck Mustangs
85%
Cathedral Crusaders
15%

Total votes: 26

HShockeywatcher

Breck (0-0) vs. St Cloud Cathedral (0-0) 11-25-11 5pm

Post by HShockeywatcher » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:56 am

One of the very first games of the season in this private school match up in Duluth should be a great game. These two played in St Cloud two years ago with Breck winning 8-3 and last year in Minneapolis with Breck winning 6-4. With this game on neutral ice, which team will start their season 1-0?

rainier

Post by rainier » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:25 pm

7-1 Breck is loaded. If they don't win the Class A title, it is a huge disappointment. They should be AA. If these super power private schools continue to be in Class A, then we might as well have Shattuck play AA and dominate every year.

trev2k1

Post by trev2k1 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:59 pm

Breck wins 5-1

in2hockey

Post by in2hockey » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:58 pm

Not even close. Breck by 10

GordonBombay99

Post by GordonBombay99 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:16 pm

I think it will be closer than a 10 goal difference but Breck has too much fire power. Breck 5-1.

Goldy23

Post by Goldy23 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:38 pm

GordonBombay99 wrote:I think it will be closer than a 10 goal difference but Breck has too much fire power. Breck 5-1.
Have to agree here. Breck for the the third year in a row will likely be the highest scoring team in the State due to the above mentioned firepower and relativley easy schedule. They did however add games with Moorhead and Holy Angels but will be playing down in the Schwanns Cup's Silver division this year. My guess is as long as the defense holds up and steady goaltending emerges, they will end this year in the Championship game at he Xcel. At most, they should lose only 1-2 games all year other than Shattuck.

flatontheice

Post by flatontheice » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:17 pm

Goldy23 wrote:
GordonBombay99 wrote:I think it will be closer than a 10 goal difference but Breck has too much fire power. Breck 5-1.
Have to agree here. Breck for the the third year in a row will likely be the highest scoring team in the State due to the above mentioned firepower and relativley easy schedule. They did however add games with Moorhead and Holy Angels but will be playing down in the Schwanns Cup's Silver division this year. My guess is as long as the defense holds up and steady goaltending emerges, they will end this year in the Championship game at he Xcel. At most, they should lose only 1-2 games all year other than Shattuck.
Here we go. Goldy and his famous predictions...why dont you win your first game before you predict state championship in March..

Goldy23

Post by Goldy23 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:37 pm

flatontheice wrote:
Goldy23 wrote:
Here we go. Goldy and his famous predictions...why dont you win your first game before you predict state championship in March..
Whats the fun in that? :lol: Only famous because the the other two (09 &10) came true! Come on Flat, who in Class A has a better chance this year? The only two that should even be close are STA and Hermantown and they simply don't have enough returning proven scorers to keep up with Breck this year. Breck has lost the least amount of last years goal scorers. In fact, they have more goals coming back (147) that either STA (134) or Hermantown's (128) entire teams scored last year. Like it or not, while anything can happen come tourney time, they are going to be the favorite's to win it all again this year. It's too bad the school won't let them go AA.

Getting off subject though. Breck 8-3 in the opener.

GordonBombay99

Post by GordonBombay99 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:48 pm

Goldy23 wrote:
flatontheice wrote:
Goldy23 wrote:
Whats the fun in that? :lol: Only famous because the the other two (09 &10) came true! Come on Flat, who in Class A has a better chance this year? The only two that should even be close are STA and Hermantown and they simply don't have enough returning proven scorers to keep up with Breck this year. Breck has lost the least amount of last years goal scorers. In fact, they have more goals coming back (147) that either STA (134) or Hermantown's (128) entire teams scored last year. Like it or not, while anything can happen come tourney time, they are going to be the favorite's to win it all again this year. It's too bad the school won't let them go AA.

Stats dont lie, its gonna be hard to shut down the depth that Breck has coming back but its gonna come down to goaltending, we all know they can score but can they keep the puck out of the net.

flatontheice

Post by flatontheice » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:11 am

Goldy23 wrote:
flatontheice wrote:
Goldy23 wrote:

Les is still your coach

whlscout

Post by whlscout » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:56 am

St. Cloud was brutal. It easily could have been 12-1.
Opperman (Dartmouth) danced around their defense all night.
Maybe if Breck wins it all this year, they will opt up to AA for the next 2 seasons. (Coaches and players want this, but school administration said it will never happen)

Goldy23

Post by Goldy23 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:56 pm

flatontheice wrote:
Goldy23 wrote:
flatontheice wrote:
Goldy23 wrote:

Les is still your coach
Come on. Whats wrong with Coach Larson? He's been to the Tourney the last three years winning it twice. How bad can he be? Like him or not, this years team is going to score so many goals, there isn't much anyone can do to screw that up!

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:44 pm

Goldy23 wrote: Come on. Whats wrong with Coach Larson? He's been to the Tourney the last three years winning it twice. How bad can he be? Like him or not, this years team is going to score so many goals, there isn't much anyone can do to screw that up!
Doubt anyone would disagree with this statement with how much scoring they did against teams like SCC and DM this weekend being they play in the Tri-Metro. Until recently, AHA used to do the same in conference play. I wonder from a coaching perspective if they will work on things during conference play, or just score a lot. They could probably average more than 20 goals a game in conference play if scoring a lot was their goal, but for some reason I doubt that will happen.