AA Preseason Rankings and Preview 2011-2012

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:54 am

LPH's offering:

1 DULUTH EAST
2 Eagan
3 Benilde-St. Margaret’s
4 Minnetonka
5 Maple Grove
6 Edina
7 Hill-Murray
8 Eden Prairie
9 Grand Rapids
10 Wayzata
11 Burnsville
12 Blaine
13 Moorhead
14 Lakeville South
15 Bemidji
16 Elk River/Zimmerman
17 Apple Valley
18 White Bear Lake
19 Jefferson
20 Holy Angels

bafata88

Post by bafata88 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:12 pm

Edina cut all but two seniors; they are now stacked with a bunch of 96's; I seriously doubt they are a top ten team unless these young guys grow up pretty quickly. It's Lou Nanne, Bo Brauer, Matt Nelson, Parker Reno and a bunch of frosh and sophs. This is not the EP team with Rau's soph group and Leddy leading the way. Edina struggles and their pre-season rankings so far are way too high.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:17 pm

Bafata, what do you think about Giles as a coach though?
Be kind. Rewind.

bafata88

Post by bafata88 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:33 pm

O-townClown wrote:Bafata, what do you think about Giles as a coach though?
That sounds like a trick question!! I'm feeling like I should take a pass on that one, eh.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:44 am

Bemidji will be at a disadvantage the first few weeks of the season as several players are still with the HS football team in their quest for a state championship.

Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:53 am

O-townClown wrote:Bafata, what do you think about Giles as a coach though?
O town... you trying to get this thread locked? Lol

Potatohead9

Football

Post by Potatohead9 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:43 pm

elliott70 wrote:Bemidji will be at a disadvantage the first few weeks of the season as several players are still with the HS football team in their quest for a state championship.
Elliot70....Congrats to Bemidji on making it to the State Championship game in football.

I know the Spuds had 5 players from last years Varsity Hockey Team playing football until last weekends loss to Wayzata.

How many players on the Bemidji team are there playing football? Im betting it will be well into the new year before their legs are hockey ready.

HShockeywatcher

Re: Football

Post by HShockeywatcher » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:07 pm

Potatohead9 wrote:
elliott70 wrote:Bemidji will be at a disadvantage the first few weeks of the season as several players are still with the HS football team in their quest for a state championship.
Elliot70....Congrats to Bemidji on making it to the State Championship game in football.

I know the Spuds had 5 players from last years Varsity Hockey Team playing football until last weekends loss to Wayzata.

How many players on the Bemidji team are there playing football? Im betting it will be well into the new year before their legs are hockey ready.
Are games like this ever rescheduled? Not only are some of the players still playing, but the game is the same day. Football game at 3pm and hockey at 7pm. Travel to the dome or to Rapids...

hockeyma

Post by hockeyma » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:24 pm

Potatohead9 wrote:

Ten football players also play hockey -- four are seniors, 2 forwards, defensman and a goalie-- who also start on the football team team (defense, offensive line, and center)

mn man

Post by mn man » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:44 am

I have to put Eagan #1 for now and DE #2, Eagan looked in total control yesterday at EPCC versus a very talented DE squad and good Centennial and Blaine teams. HHF, you must be very proud...

green4

Post by green4 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:31 pm

bafata88 wrote:Edina cut all but two seniors; they are now stacked with a bunch of 96's; I seriously doubt they are a top ten team unless these young guys grow up pretty quickly. It's Lou Nanne, Bo Brauer, Matt Nelson, Parker Reno and a bunch of frosh and sophs. This is not the EP team with Rau's soph group and Leddy leading the way. Edina struggles and their pre-season rankings so far are way too high.
to be fair though even without most of there seniors this is a good team i mean you named some good players up there and included hurley and reno who didnt play last year with some good sophs in tyler nanne and fidler who i think is better then nanne. im not saying there bring home a state championship this year but they will be a solid team with young players

HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:28 pm

mn man wrote:I have to put Eagan #1 for now and DE #2, Eagan looked in total control yesterday at EPCC versus a very talented DE squad and good Centennial and Blaine teams. HHF, you must be very proud...
Proud? Well its not like I developed these players or anything, lol...but I am excited about the coming season yes... :lol:
It's not the Best players, it's the Right players! HB

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:44 pm

Sounds like BSM is going to be yound this year and they had so many kids tryout this year (60 vs 45 last year) that the JV has no Jrs.

Tuuk2score

Post by Tuuk2score » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:20 pm

The bunch of 96ers Edina took this year were in Rochester N.Y. for the 15's National Development Camp. They will do just fine this year.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:05 am

Potatohead9 wrote:

6 players that I know.
starting goalie, back up goalie,
starting D, 2nd line F
2 3rd line F

I am sure I have forgotten some off the top of my head.
Several BB players as well, must be a wrestler or two or three...

Bronc

Post by Bronc » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:23 am

Tuuk2score wrote:The bunch of 96ers Edina took this year were in Rochester N.Y. for the 15's National Development Camp. They will do just fine this year.
That group is extremely skilled and can skate. Not very big and in the past did not deal with physical play very well. Will see how they make the jump. My bet is they will do well and in the thick of things for a few years (next year more than this one though).

green4

Post by green4 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:00 am

Bronc wrote:
Tuuk2score wrote:The bunch of 96ers Edina took this year were in Rochester N.Y. for the 15's National Development Camp. They will do just fine this year.
That group is extremely skilled and can skate. Not very big and in the past did not deal with physical play very well. Will see how they make the jump. My bet is they will do well and in the thick of things for a few years (next year more than this one though).
i agree with what both of you are saying, they are a very talented team skating wise. My biggest concern is not there size though its there situation at goalie. they have a good junior goalie in benjamin and then a small beaupre who does not have more talent then the other two senior goalies they cut and now are on junior gold A. And with beaupre's dad being the coach you can bet to see him in a lot of games even when he should not be out there

bsmguy

Post by bsmguy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:59 pm

Karl
will you be at Pagel on Friday morning to watch -East-EP-Mtka-BSM battle?

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:34 pm

bsmguy wrote:Karl
will you be at Pagel on Friday morning to watch -East-EP-Mtka-BSM battle?
Afraid not--I'll be in Chicago for Thanksgiving. I would love to hear some detailed updates, though.

minnscout

Post by minnscout » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:39 pm

What time fridauy?

SPUDNUT

Post by SPUDNUT » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:40 pm

Go Jacks - hope you go all the way ! Everyone in Tater country is pullin' for ya.

(Tsk, tsk)

SPUDNUT

Post by SPUDNUT » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:49 pm

hockeyhound16 wrote:
HappyHockeyFan wrote:If I was more sure about the goaltending situation Karl I would be yelling much louder about Eagan being higher... :lol: :lol: For now I will be content at #4 ... :lol: :lol:
Eagan solidified their goaltending with the transfer in of a Senior goaltender from Montana. From the sounds of it he is just what they ordered. They have their Freshman transfer goaltender from Lakeville So. for future years. Believe me, Taylor is planning ahead.

Eagan should be #1 with the work they've put into it. If goaltending is the unknown to most, not to worry, they've taken care of it.

Gonna be interesting to see if a kid transferring from MT can cut it at the level of Eagan and MN hockey in general. More power to him if he can - got my doubts.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:45 am

HShockeywatcher wrote:
Potatohead9 wrote:

Are games like this ever rescheduled? Not only are some of the players still playing, but the game is the same day. Football game at 3pm and hockey at 7pm. Travel to the dome or to Rapids...
The game has been rescheduled for January sometime. The 26th I think.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:45 am

SPUDNUT wrote:

Go Jacks - hope you go all the way ! Everyone in Tater country is pullin' for ya.

(Tsk, tsk)
Thanks, Spud.

auld_skool

Post by auld_skool » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:10 am

east hockey wrote:Personally, I would put Eagan at #2. If not #1.

That being said, another excellent job, Karl.

Lee
Agreed. If they're not in the championship game they've underachieved this year.