Edina Junior Gold A better than Varsity team?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

highschoolhockey2323

Edina Junior Gold A better than Varsity team?

Post by highschoolhockey2323 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:26 pm

First off let me just say I am NOT a parent of one of the kids that got from the varsity team. I will admit I am an Edina hockey parent but neither one of my kids are of high school age, I am however very knowledgeable of Edina hockey and have heard much about the recent varsity tryouts, and I just want to give my two cents on the subject.

I currently have both the Junior Gold A and boys' varsity rosters pulled up on my desktop and doing a side by side comparison, I can honestly conclude that the Junior Gold A team could very well beat the varsity team. Many of these Junior Gold A kids have Varsity experience, and almost all of them have JV experience (with those who dont have experience already having two years of junior gold hockey under their belt). Looking at the varsity roster, it's filled with kids who played bantams of all levels last season. Now I'm not saying this automatically puts the Junior Gold A team at a higher level than the Varsity team, but myself along with many others in edina hockey are well aware that this may be true. My own opinion is that if you take away Varsity's first line (Nanne, Nelson, Reno) the Junior Gold A team beats the Varsity squad 6 to nothing. I did not personally watch the varsity tryouts, but from what I have heard kids who were obviously at a lower level than returning seniors were taken on the team, while the seniors were cut. The objective was obvious for the varsity team, go young and try to build another dynasty. My simple question is, what ever happened to simply taking the 20 best players on the ice? Or am I just talking crazy? Anyone else have any thoughts on this situation?

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:38 pm

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

HockeyGuy81

Re: Edina Junior Gold A better than Varsity team?

Post by HockeyGuy81 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:39 pm

highschoolhockey2323 wrote:First off let me just say I am NOT a parent of one of the kids that got from the varsity team. I will admit I am an Edina hockey parent but neither one of my kids are of high school age, I am however very knowledgeable of Edina hockey and have heard much about the recent varsity tryouts, and I just want to give my two cents on the subject.

I currently have both the Junior Gold A and boys' varsity rosters pulled up on my desktop and doing a side by side comparison, I can honestly conclude that the Junior Gold A team could very well beat the varsity team. Many of these Junior Gold A kids have Varsity experience, and almost all of them have JV experience (with those who dont have experience already having two years of junior gold hockey under their belt). Looking at the varsity roster, it's filled with kids who played bantams of all levels last season. Now I'm not saying this automatically puts the Junior Gold A team at a higher level than the Varsity team, but myself along with many others in edina hockey are well aware that this may be true. My own opinion is that if you take away Varsity's first line (Nanne, Nelson, Reno) the Junior Gold A team beats the Varsity squad 6 to nothing. I did not personally watch the varsity tryouts, but from what I have heard kids who were obviously at a lower level than returning seniors were taken on the team, while the seniors were cut. The objective was obvious for the varsity team, go young and try to build another dynasty. My simple question is, what ever happened to simply taking the 20 best players on the ice? Or am I just talking crazy? Anyone else have any thoughts on this situation?
Bantam's of all levels? I have no knowledge of their team so please explain...there are multiple A and B players from last year on varsity? Also, if the Jr Gold team could very well beat the Varsity team, why would you bring up removing the 1st line for a game like that? That comment totally weakens your argument.

HockeyGuy81

Post by HockeyGuy81 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:39 pm

east hockey wrote:Image

Lee
=D>

highschoolhockey2323

Post by highschoolhockey2323 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:47 pm

HockeyGuy81 wrote:
highschoolhockey2323 wrote:First off let me just say I am NOT a parent of one of the kids that got from the varsity team. I will admit I am an Edina hockey parent but neither one of my kids are of high school age, I am however very knowledgeable of Edina hockey and have heard much about the recent varsity tryouts, and I just want to give my two cents on the subject.

Bantam's of all levels? I have no knowledge of their team so please explain...there are multiple A and B players from last year on varsity? Also, if the Jr Gold team could very well beat the Varsity team, why would you bring up removing the 1st line for a game like that? That comment totally weakens your argument.

I simply was saying that if you remove the first line the varsity team would stand no chance (hence the 6 to nothing prediction). In my opinion, the juniorl gold A team could still beat the varsity team's full roster. I guess the message I am trying to convey is that line 2-4 for Edina is extremely weak, and in a game against the junior gold A team their only chance would be if the first line on the varsity team carried them. Sorry if that was a little confusing.

mghockey18

Post by mghockey18 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:28 pm

I'm sure the players on the Jr. Gold team were cut for a reason. I am concluding you don't know very much about hockey after reading this. Give it up. Top 15 in the state varsity team losing to its own Jr. gold A team? I want whatever you are on!

oldshad77

Post by oldshad77 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:05 pm

highschoolhockey2323 wrote:
HockeyGuy81 wrote:

I simply was saying that if you remove the first line the varsity team would stand no chance (hence the 6 to nothing prediction). In my opinion, the juniorl gold A team could still beat the varsity team's full roster. I guess the message I am trying to convey is that line 2-4 for Edina is extremely weak, and in a game against the junior gold A team their only chance would be if the first line on the varsity team carried them. Sorry if that was a little confusing.
Did the Jr. Gold guys who played on the Varsity last year contribute? If not, maybe it's time for fresh blood. I'm sure there were players who didn't make the Varsity when the super-sophs came through a couple of years ago. Didn't seem to hurt the team.

HockeyGuy81

Post by HockeyGuy81 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:09 pm

HockeyGuy81 wrote:

I still want to know about the "kids who played bantams of all levels last season."

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:21 pm

Haven't heard what went on at Edina tryouts but it seems there is ,as they say, more to the story.

Last year Varsity and JV teams have 9 Jrs. 5 on Varsity. This year only 2 make the cut and one sure to make the team leaves for Canadian juniors right before tryouts.

This just doesn't pass the smell test.

spin-o-rama

Post by spin-o-rama » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:27 pm

I believe all fresh and soph on the varsity roster were bantam A last year. I do know at least 1 player on the jv roster was never on an A team his whole youth career (some B2 teams), but this is not about jv.

The cuts of returning seniors has happened before. Quantitywise, this year stuck out. There are only 2 seniors on the varsity roster this year, 1 wasn't varsity last year. There were 6 juniors on varsity last year. Walker went to juniors, that's a lot of cuts.

mn miracle man

Post by mn miracle man » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:59 pm

Are you for real guy? If you honestly suggest that a junior gold team could beat a top AA program you obviously have no business evaluating hockey teams/players. I am positive Edina's JV would prove a stiff challenge for the Junior Gold "All Stars." Like someone previously posted, they were cut for a reason...

Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:02 pm

mghockey18 wrote:I'm sure the players on the Jr. Gold team were cut for a reason. I am concluding you don't know very much about hockey after reading this. Give it up. Top 15 in the state varsity team losing to its own Jr. gold A team? I want whatever you are on!
Yes, I'd like some too! This argument plays out every year, and the truth is we will never know the what-if's. Is it possible a Junior Gold team could beat a varsity team ~ maybe, if they viewed it as their "Super Bowl" and lightning struck the building; remember even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in awhile.

Is it probable ~ no; even the thought that your best Junior Gold team would challenge their local varsity is tough to process. Now could Edina's Junior Gold team, beat say, Kittson Central or Minneapolis, sure. But Hornet vs. Hornet results in a varsity win 99 out of 100 times. 8)

Sunsetcliffs98

Post by Sunsetcliffs98 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:16 pm

Why so much gnashing of teeth and bitterness over the Edina Varsity tryouts? I'm guessing that the coach wants to field the best team possible.

highschoolhockey2323

Post by highschoolhockey2323 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:19 pm

mn miracle man wrote:Are you for real guy? If you honestly suggest that a junior gold team could beat a top AA program you obviously have no business evaluating hockey teams/players. I am positive Edina's JV would prove a stiff challenge for the Junior Gold "All Stars." Like someone previously posted, they were cut for a reason...
Obviously you aren't informed as to which players make up the varsity and JGA team in Edina. I'm not saying this happening is normal at all, but these are very special circumstances.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:37 pm

mn miracle man wrote:Are you for real guy? If you honestly suggest that a junior gold team could beat a top AA program you obviously have no business evaluating hockey teams/players. I am positive Edina's JV would prove a stiff challenge for the Junior Gold "All Stars." Like someone previously posted, they were cut for a reason...
Obviously you aren't informed as to which players make up the varsity and JGA team in Edina. I'm not saying this happening is normal at all, but these are very special circumstances.
I'm sure Giles and his staff wouldn't want to keep the players that would make the best team? The very special circumstances are, the players cut were not good enough to be on the varsity!

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:03 pm

To automatically assume the players cut were not good enough to make the team might not be the case. I have no horse in this race but it seems entirely possible that given a group of players with very similar abilities to help the team the staff chose to go with kids that have two or three years left versus taking the senior. Some of those cut were good enough last year.......one could use simple logic in this case and assume that this years team must be better. I think we know that probably is not the case, so it would appear that these cuts/decisions were made looking forward and not nessecarily for this year. In the end its a problem most other high schools would love to have.......too many qualified varsity level players.

hockeyhound16

Post by hockeyhound16 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:06 pm

spin-o-rama wrote:I believe all fresh and soph on the varsity roster were bantam A last year. I do know at least 1 player on the jv roster was never on an A team his whole youth career (some B2 teams), but this is not about jv.

The cuts of returning seniors has happened before. Quantitywise, this year stuck out. There are only 2 seniors on the varsity roster this year, 1 wasn't varsity last year. There were 6 juniors on varsity last year. Walker went to juniors, that's a lot of cuts.
You are incorrect. You should do your homework before trying to heat up a topic. One sophmore on the roster did not play Bantams last year. He played Varsity and scored around 37 points. Also, a good handful of their rostered Juniors had playing time on Varsity last year and had points. Also, Edina had a good number of players play in the Elite League and these players all contributed to their Elite teams. Then there were a few more who played Elite D. How many JG A Edina players played Elite? How many played Elite D? Enough said. Your argumemt has no merit.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:49 pm

* Ducks v. Hawks
* Team USA at the Jr. Goodwill Games
* Varsity-JV scrimmage at Eden Hall Academy

....and now.......

* Edina Hornets v. Junior Gold A!!!
Be kind. Rewind.

pipersniper12

Post by pipersniper12 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:08 pm

O-townClown wrote:* Ducks v. Hawks
* Team USA at the Jr. Goodwill Games
* Varsity-JV scrimmage at Eden Hall Academy

....and now.......

* Edina Hornets v. Junior Gold A!!!
:D :idea: :D
Hunt|Fish|Hockey

Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:43 am

spin-o-rama wrote:I believe all fresh and soph on the varsity roster were bantam A last year. I do know at least 1 player on the jv roster was never on an A team his whole youth career (some B2 teams), but this is not about jv.
There are ALWAYS kids on JV that never played A hockey.

And as far as Nanne, Reno and Nelson being the "top line" two of them are defensemen, not forwards. The top line may very well have a very skilled ninth grader on it.

spin-o-rama

Post by spin-o-rama » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:00 am

hockeyhound16 wrote:

You are incorrect. You should do your homework before trying to heat up a topic. One sophmore on the roster did not play Bantams last year. He played Varsity and scored around 37 points. Also, a good handful of their rostered Juniors had playing time on Varsity last year and had points. Also, Edina had a good number of players play in the Elite League and these players all contributed to their Elite teams. Then there were a few more who played Elite D. How many JG A Edina players played Elite? How many played Elite D? Enough said. Your argumemt has no merit.
Argument has no merit? Stating some figures to bring clarity to the discussion is hardly making an argument.

Here's the correction: The soph/fresh figure I gave was for those kids who played Bantams last year. They were all A players.
Also, the number of juniors playing last year should be reduced by 1. The list I looked at had a kid listed as a junior last year who is listed as a junior on this year's roster as well.

Now about the Soph who played varsity last year: It sounds like you are trying to heat things up. He has been a topic of conversation.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:51 pm

Lots of pressure on these kids! If they don't win the Junior Gold state title it'll be a huge disappointment.
Be kind. Rewind.

The Best in the Bizz3

Post by The Best in the Bizz3 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:41 pm

spin-o-rama wrote:
hockeyhound16 wrote:

Argument has no merit? Stating some figures to bring clarity to the discussion is hardly making an argument.

Here's the correction: The soph/fresh figure I gave was for those kids who played Bantams last year. They were all A players.
Also, the number of juniors playing last year should be reduced by 1. The list I looked at had a kid listed as a junior last year who is listed as a junior on this year's roster as well.

Now about the Soph who played varsity last year: It sounds like you are trying to heat things up. He has been a topic of conversation.

how has he been a topic of conversation?
The best, period

edinahornetkid24

Post by edinahornetkid24 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:31 pm

Edina's top two lines would light them up, it wouldn't be a contest

bafata88

Post by bafata88 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:14 pm

Wow, a topic I can sink my teeth into.

Five JGA players from the class of 2012 have varsity experience; another senior with varsity experience did not tryout for any team. The Class of 2012, more than any class I can think of in recent memory at Edina, got pushed aside [shafted??] From those seniors, there would be, at the very least, a strong number two varsity line at Edina. Early last season the coaching staff dropped most of the juniors on the varsity team to the JV; at that point, the writing, seemingly, was on the wall: Giles had given up on the Class of 2012.

For those of you who dismiss the argument that the JGA team could beat the varsity team and pontificate that such claims could come only from someone who knows "nothing" about hockey obviously do not know how the Edina system works or who the players are. Like many programs, there are favorites at Edina and it has nothing to do with who is better or who has more potential. The top line or two, without question, is going to made up of superior players. After that, there is little difference between the next 25 players or so. And that is where the coaches get to wield their discretion. And those guys have made some mysterious decisions; just ask anyone from Edina.

Pound for pound the Varsity team this year probably has too much speed and skill to lose to the JGA. The JGA would win against the JV team 9 out of 10 times. A Varsity vs. JGA match-up would be a fun one to watch though; and I think it would be alot closer than some of you hockey "experts" would like to believe; goaltending is undoubtedly a big question mark.