tired of the propaganda

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

dzonecoverage

tired of the propaganda

Post by dzonecoverage » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:12 pm

I am not sure if I am the only one who is tired of seeing more of "grandpa so proud of the 2 cousins signing at the U"!?!?! No mention of grandpa having endowed a scholarship, or that grandpa endorsing Coach Lucia got the coach an extension and the grandkids a scholarship.

We did get to read on Hockeyhub that the Edina grandson is "hoping a NHL team will have an opinion" on his staying in high school, or playing juniors next season. I am sure the 73 other juniors who scored 23 points or more are also waiting for the NHL to weigh in.

C'mon, at the end of the day do we really care that much about the cousins, it's almost as bad as the press around the 3 brothers from Chaska

Zamman

Post by Zamman » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:04 pm

Someone is really upset the U is back on track....Oh and you can use names.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:07 am

Zamman wrote:Someone is really upset the U is back on track....Oh and you can use names.
Reilly boys are who dzonecoverage is referring too and he is correct. dzone is not the only hockey rube tired of the spin on the kid from Edina by any stretch.

Zamman

Post by Zamman » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:40 am

I know it was the Reilly's and the Nanne's...still so what?

MNpuckfanatic77

Post by MNpuckfanatic77 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:44 am

I'd say Mike Reilly is doing pretty well for himself but hey if you wanna throw them all in the same boat be my guest.

thle0701

Post by thle0701 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:11 pm

someones upset that their kid hasn't been signed yet :lol:

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:15 pm

Unfortunate that there has to be such jealousy on a holiday like Thanksgiving.

markp

Post by markp » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:22 pm

speaking of the Reilly's, where are they playing? Their names aren't on the Gophers roster.

Zamman

Post by Zamman » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:27 pm

They play in Penticon (SP) BC along with Lucia and another Minnesota...
The Reilly's, Lucia are leaders in stats>

http://www.pentictonvees.ca/leagues/tea ... gueID=8370

markp

Post by markp » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:23 pm

Their in the BCHL, very similar to our NAHL. Although now that the NA has expanded so much, the BC is probably stronger. Good for them, Looks like the younger finally got his growth spurt, from 5-7 to 6-0 in one year, ouch those are some growing pains...I still wonder why the older just didn't play in the USHL, which in my opinion the stronger league. But it's not often you get to play with family... I've spent time in Penticton with the son watching him play hockey, and it's a great town right between two lakes. They will have a great time there.

Oldtimehockeyguy23

Post by Oldtimehockeyguy23 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:24 pm

Look, college teams are serious businesses and they make decisions on players SOLEY on the belief that that player with help them win. It's NOT about who had the most points in HS or juniors, and it is most definitely not because of famous "surnames." The gophers are the gophers of old and will continue to be so if they continue to sign top end talent. Which they are doing by signing Kloos, Reilly's, Brodzinski, Nanne, and Leitteri etc... The notion that a last name is capable of getting you a D-1 scholarship when you don't deserve one is completely ludicrous. Wise up people :shock:

xy

Post by xy » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:56 pm

Oldtimehockeyguy23 wrote:Look, college teams are serious businesses and they make decisions on players SOLEY on the belief that that player with help them win. It's NOT about who had the most points in HS or juniors, and it is most definitely not because of famous "surnames." The gophers are the gophers of old and will continue to be so if they continue to sign top end talent. Which they are doing by signing Kloos, Reilly's, Brodzinski, Nanne, and Leitteri etc... The notion that a last name is capable of getting you a D-1 scholarship when you don't deserve one is completely ludicrous. Wise up people :shock:
I underlined the key word here - scholarship. A moment's reflection reveals that it's almost certainly the case, given that they have only 18 scholarships, and that not all of the kids who have committed were highly recruited prospects with multiple other options, that not all of the players they have committed are getting full rides. And if you don't think the fact that their parents/families have the wherewithal to pay for them to attend the U even if they're getting little or no scholarship help had something to do with some of these commitments, I just don't think you're being realistic.

You are right that if they weren't viewed as being players who could help the Gophers someday this wouldn't happen - coaches like Lucia don't last long if they go around shooting themselves in the foot. And this whole discussion is really unfair to 16-to-20-year-old kids who probably dreamed of playing for the Gophers just as much any other kids whose parents don't have the same financial wherewithal. Those kids are becoming the target of resentment that, if it exists at all, should be aimed elsewhere. But on some level you can understand where it comes from.

youngblood08

Post by youngblood08 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:59 pm

NAHL teams went 12-2 vs BCHL teams in pre-season play.

That includes Wenatchee Wild win over the Penticton Vees.

goaliewithfoggedglasses

Post by goaliewithfoggedglasses » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:29 pm

Zamman wrote:They play in Penticon (SP) BC along with Lucia and another Minnesota...

Don't forget Benik and Fogarty. Looks like the Minnesota Mafia is doing quite well up in Penticon.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:46 am

What happenend to Garrett Hendrickson, he was on their roster earlier?

Zamman

Post by Zamman » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:18 am

goaliewithfoggedglasses wrote:
Zamman wrote:They play in Penticon (SP) BC along with Lucia and another Minnesota...

Don't forget Benik and Fogarty. Looks like the Minnesota Mafia is doing quite well up in Penticon.
Those are the other two that I forgot. I know that they are all in the top of stats....

MnMade-4-Life

Re: tired of the propaganda

Post by MnMade-4-Life » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:33 am

dzonecoverage wrote:I am not sure if I am the only one who is tired of seeing more of "grandpa so proud of the 2 cousins signing at the U"!?!?! No mention of grandpa having endowed a scholarship, or that grandpa endorsing Coach Lucia got the coach an extension and the grandkids a scholarship.

We did get to read on Hockeyhub that the Edina grandson is "hoping a NHL team will have an opinion" on his staying in high school, or playing juniors next season. I am sure the 73 other juniors who scored 23 points or more are also waiting for the NHL to weigh in.

C'mon, at the end of the day do we really care that much about the cousins, it's almost as bad as the press around the 3 brothers from Chaska
Mmmmmm ... fresh cup of h8terade this morning?!?!?:D
/chugga chugga
/chugga chugga
WOOOOOOOOO
WOOOOOOOOO

wingman

Post by wingman » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:06 am

Regarding the number of Minnesota kids on one team (vee's). Are Canada Juniors allowed as many imports as they want per year or are they held to a minimum each year? If they don't use their quota for one year can they 'carry over' to another year? I had heard it was only 2/year...yet on several teams it appears more are allowed? Anyone?

woodley

Post by woodley » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:24 am

I've followed this thread from the beginning. . . and while DZone may be tired of the "propaganda" I'm really tired of people whining about this connection, that endowment, etc.

How 'bout if we stop for a minute, think about what a great thing it is that these Minnesota kids are out there representing hockey from this state, that they have a chance to live their dreams!!

Too often we want to attribute others success to the advantages they have. However, the advantages still don't put on the skates. The advantages don't invest the time in the weight room. The advantages don't sweat and bleed to succeed.

I, for one, say Congratulations to these kids. Enjoy your success.

trev2k1

Post by trev2k1 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:46 am

mulefarm wrote:What happenend to Garrett Hendrickson, he was on their roster earlier?
not sure what happened to him in penticton, but he now plays for salmon arm silverbacks

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:56 am

trev2k1 wrote:
mulefarm wrote:What happenend to Garrett Hendrickson, he was on their roster earlier?
not sure what happened to him in penticton, but he now plays for salmon arm silverbacks
Hendrickson was traded a few weeks ago.