Section 3A

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Cujo

Post by Cujo » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:10 pm

I think New Ulm and Hutch were the clear cut top teams. Id give New Ulm the edge. Both teams have question marks for their goalies. Also Adams and Cowger were the only standouts to me on that team. I thought NU's #1 line played offly well with Peterson and two underclassmen(davis 10th grade, peterson 9th). On a side note from that I seen that schreckenberg wasnt playing on that line. Any reasons why?
Also, I was suprised to see such a talent loss from Litch. Did not look very good and their goalies are well below average.
But that doesnt say much because almost all the goalies are average or a little better.
I dont really know what to think of Marshall. I know Pearson likes roll lines but this year i dont think thats a possibility. I saw two average lines and after that there isint much left. But they did have two good puck moving defensmen.
Like my first post. Ill put New Ulm and Hutch in the #1-2 spots and Litch and Marshall in the #3-4 spots. I have yet to see Luverne play or here anything about them.

Section 3A HockeyScout

section 3a action

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:39 pm

Marshall 7 Worthington 0

Took in my first Section 3A action of the season.

Marshall is NOT the same club as last year. They have a ton hustle I liked their grit. They still have #7 and #3 on the blue line like both of them a lot. Will need to find more scoring options as the year goes along I think that will happen. Like I said Marshall is not the same team not nearly as talented how could you when you lose that many seniors. They will be tough in the end saw lots of positives.

Worthington short on kids short on talent. Will be another long season in Trojanville however, they are better than last year.

That all i got for now any other scores get them in Hockey is HERE!!

Bettman's Bender

Post by Bettman's Bender » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:22 pm

Marshall 5

Windom 2

Shots 33-32 in favor of Windom.

Watched the game from a web stream.

Marshall played awful and Windom is just not very good. Windom #4 and #7 is all they have and they arent even very good. Marshall didnt come to play but still came away with the win.

Interesting note--- Windom absolutely dominated in the faceoff circle. I wouldnt be shocked if they were in favor 75:25 in faceoffs.

Section 3A HockeyScout

Section 3a action

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:26 am

Holy Family 11 New Ulm Area 5

Holy Family was way out of New Ulm's league last night at one point it was 9 to 1 with still plenty of time in the 2nd period. To the Eagles credit they battled back and made it respectable for awhile. However, the Fire were just much more talented The Holy Family 9th grade Sensation Shane Geirsh was a beast 3 goals and 4 assists.

New Ulm Area has a some weapons still. They are still one of the my personal favorites to win this Section.

Hope everyone has a good and fun weekend!

new2coachin

Post by new2coachin » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:52 am

Bettman's Bender wrote:Marshall 5

Windom 2

Shots 33-32 in favor of Windom.

Watched the game from a web stream.

Marshall played awful and Windom is just not very good. Windom #4 and #7 is all they have and they arent even very good. Marshall didnt come to play but still came away with the win.

Interesting note--- Windom absolutely dominated in the faceoff circle. I wouldnt be shocked if they were in favor 75:25 in faceoffs.
I was at the game & to be honest with you I think both teams did not play their best game, I think we saw glimpses of what both teams are capable of. Windom controlled the first half of the first period, Marshall got lucky with a dirty goal to tie it up and it seemed to suck the energy out of Windom & the rest of the first was all Marshall. The second period was dominated by Windom, they just couldn't put it in the net. #4 & #7 probably played their worst game ever, at least from what I've seen them play. If they pick up their play to what they are capable, this is a totally different game. Can only think that Windom is struggling with new coaching & new system, I see more upside for them when they get things ironed out. After watching this game, I gotta predict.
#1 New Ulm
#2 Hutch
#3 Luverne
#4 Litch
#5 Marshall
#6 Windom
#7 Redwood
#8 Fairmont
#9 Worthington

dangle snipe n' celly

Post by dangle snipe n' celly » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:49 am

Marshall vs Hutch today in Marshall. Should be a good game if Marshall comes to play. If they play like they did against windom, hutch will run all over them.

I gotta predict it being a close one. Either team winning by one. Could go either way

Bettman's Bender

Post by Bettman's Bender » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:59 pm

Marshall -3

Hutch-2

Marshall Strong in Net (what else is new) :P :lol:

New2Hockey or whoever you are. You are sniffing glue. Who is Luverne?

dangle snipe n' celly

Post by dangle snipe n' celly » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:24 pm

Bettman's Bender wrote:Marshall -3

Hutch-2

was a very good game from what i saw. Marshall controlled most of the game even though the shots didn't show that.

Didn't see much from trace Adams though....didn't really stick out. best player is definitely Cowger. very very solid.

dangle snipe n' celly

Post by dangle snipe n' celly » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:18 pm

Hockey hub says new ulm lost to minnehaha academy? Is this true?

Iranger33

Post by Iranger33 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:02 pm

Hutch-2

I would assume that you are joking about strong in net. The Marshall goalie was fighting the puck most of the night.

As far as the game went the shots were even and the game was pretty even. Hutch had issues with turnovers which led to all of Marshalls goals and had issues breaking out of their end on the powerplay.

Cowger on D was trying to do too much with the puck today.

dangle snipe n' celly

Post by dangle snipe n' celly » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:54 pm

Iranger33 wrote:

Hutch-2

I would assume that you are joking about strong in net. The Marshall goalie was fighting the puck most of the night.

As far as the game went the shots were even and the game was pretty even. Hutch had issues with turnovers which led to all of Marshalls goals and had issues breaking out of their end on the powerplay.

Cowger on D was trying to do too much with the puck today.
Pretty sure 30some saves is a strong performance? A lot better than hutchs goalies performed. He's only played 3 varsity games and he played pretty solid for Marshall so I don't know how you can be hating on him.

SweetBabyRay

Post by SweetBabyRay » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:07 pm

Yes, the marshall goalie was definetely not strong but did do enough to get a W.

This game was not really dominated by marshall. They capitalized on hutchs several turnovers. But overall hutch controlled the offensive zone and marshall was forced to just ice the puck whenever they touched it. Shots were heavily in hutchs favor.

Marshall's D are very disciplined. And some forwards have decent speed. Also not mentioned yet, the goal that shouldve counted with seconds left for hutch....

Bettman's Bender

Post by Bettman's Bender » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:16 pm

I dont know i didnt see the game. Just saw the stats. Assumed the goaltending for Marshall was good, although I know the goalie is young, inexperienced, and needs work in many areas. Not a strong goalie by any means. Either way he did enough to win. Top 4 D for Marshall are solid. I dont know much about Hutch but After Swenson and Johnson?... I assume they have a void in net which obviously contributed to the loss.

owntheice1

Post by owntheice1 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:43 pm

no matter how you slice it, marshall beat hutch, that's all there is to it. if marshall was weak in net how could their goalie stop 30 of 32 shots while hutch's goalie stopped 13 of 16? marshall's goalie is young and needs work, but he knows how to play especially with a team like marshall.

Iranger33

Post by Iranger33 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:24 am

I will help explain some of the goaltending for you. I was actually at the game and saw how both the goalies played and was able to keep shot totals since I know most people running the clock don't know what a shot actually is.

So the shot total for the game was 27 shots for Marshall and 26 shots for Hutch.

As far as the play for the Marshall goalie he was fighting the puck most of the night. His D played very well in front of him which makes it an easy night. He was able to see the shot and Hutch didn't generate alot scoring chances.

The Hutch goalie was seeing his first start, he played just fine. All 3 of the Marshall goals were because of turnovers. 2 of them in the Hutch zone and the other at the Marshall blue line to create a 2 on 1. And the Hutch goalie saw just as many shots as the Marshall goalie did.

The D for Marshall was the bigger part of the game, Hutch's D on the other hand was terrible, how many turnovers did they have in their own end.

So since I was at the game and not going by what I read somewhere I would say the play of both goalies were average.

Now I won't get into the disallowed goal at the end of the game or the icing that took place after the disallowed goal.

bardown27

Post by bardown27 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:53 am

Iranger33, what is this disallowed goal you are talking about? would like to hear what happened there.

Iranger33

Post by Iranger33 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:31 am

Cowger had scored what seemed to be his 3rd goal of the game to force overtime. The ref had waved the goal off after and marshall had iced the puck with 4 seconds left on the clock. The goal didn't count and the icing was never called. Now Hutch should have never been in that position in the first place so by no means do I blame the refs for the call. I just feel that they missed a couple of calls at a critical point in the game.

Redlight

Post by Redlight » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:36 am

This is all good info, but will whoever emerges from this section be able to actually put up a W once they get to state? It seems like most years the 3A section champs are headed home by Saturday.

owntheice1

Post by owntheice1 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:39 am

The ref makes the final call not some sore loser parents like you. Marshall won fair and square. You wanna cryabout it how bout i call wine-1-1 so the wambulance can come get ya.

Cujo

Post by Cujo » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:00 pm

I dont he was whining at any point. He gave out good information on the game. Sure he put in his opinion about the called off goal. Its all it is, an opinion. No need to get all worked up.. So much drama early in the year already!!

On another note, litch beat willmar? is willmar any decent?
Also whats going on in the new ulm "area"? 0-2 record

To be honest I think it will be very unlikely that section 3 will have a win at state. Section is weaker then prior years.. No "complete" teams

dangle snipe n' celly

Post by dangle snipe n' celly » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:02 pm

Iranger33 wrote:Cowger had scored what seemed to be his 3rd goal of the game to force overtime. The ref had waved the goal off after and marshall had iced the puck with 4 seconds left on the clock. The goal didn't count and the icing was never called. Now Hutch should have never been in that position in the first place so by no means do I blame the refs for the call. I just feel that they missed a couple of calls at a critical point in the game.
the puck never did cross the goal line. hit both pipes and came out. and also when that happened the person doing the scoreboard stopped the clock with 4 seconds left but he or she didn't realize the puck didn't go in therefore the clock looked like there was 4 seconds left when really they should have let it run because there wasn't any whistle to stop play so they had to let the 4 seconds go and not blow the icing

Section 3A HockeyScout

Section 3A Hockey Rankings Week #2

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:13 pm

Greetings Fellow 3A Followers,

Well every team is now in action. Some interesting games this past week and some great matchups coming up this week!

Section 3A Rankings Week #2
1. Marshall (3-0-0)
2. Hutchinson (1-1-0)
3. New Ulm Area (0-2-0)
4. L-D-C (2-0-0)
5. Luverne (1-0-0)
6. Windom (2-1-0)
7. Redwood Valley (1-3-0)
8. Fairmont (0-1-0)
9. Worthington (0-3-0)

Marshall shoots up to number one they are the biggest surprise so far Huge Win over Hutch! Big week for the Tigers having both Luverne & New Ulm Area this week. They could solidify there early hold on the Section's #1 seed. Tigers should beat Luverne cant wait for Thursday's match up with New Ulm Area!

Interesting Section 3A Notes: LDC shows all those nay sayer why you never count them out off to a 2 and 0 start never count out the Dragons.

New Ulm Area has a rough start still trying to find their goalie they will be tough in the end most offensive weapons in the Section!

Worthington Takes Redwood to OT the Trojans are not an easy win for the Average teams in this section like Luverne, Windom and Redwood this year!

Coach Ammerman has Windom at (2-1-0) big win over Mankato East on Saturday they were fun to watch. I almost put Windom over Luverne in this weeks ranking they seem pretty equal. Ammerman brings coaching creditability to a program that needed it. It is something that almost every other program in Southwest MN still lacks!

There is my outlook fun to see lots of chatter on 3A Hockey Again!

dangle snipe n' celly

Post by dangle snipe n' celly » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:18 pm

is minnehaha academy a good team this year? or how did new ulm lose to them? I watched them play last year and they were not a good team at all. is New Ulms goalie weak? or whats going on over there?

timcorbin21

Post by timcorbin21 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:23 am

Minnehaha isnt very good at all.

computerguy

3a

Post by computerguy » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:02 am

Is it a possibility that after two straight trips to the state tournament that New Ulm is a little down this year? New Ulm and Hutch won't have good records this year because of the strength of schudule. Marshall is the #1 right now but it's a long way from seeding time. Where is everyone getting New Ulm Area from? I have looked everywhere (hockey hub, MSHSL, follow the puck) and I can't find it like that?