Section 3A

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

WarriorXL

Post by WarriorXL »

Finally someone that realizes that new ulm isint going to be as strong as they've been in the past. Right now they have goalie and defensive zone issues along with the sleepy eye kids that play, learning their systems and getting used to the speed and talent of their schedule isint going to be easy. They also have quite a few kids out such as dylan schreckenberg, and drew pfaff. Both have played varisty and are solid. It would help round out their team.Give these guys so time to gel and get everyone back. They play a tough schedule which will help get them back to the X again.
They have already gone through two goalies and both havent played good, so my guess is they'll give the next start to sophmore brach kraus. If they can get their D zone and goaltender solidified they will be a good team. They have plenty of firepower up front. I expect them to play a very good game against marshall on thursday. I see to much talent not for these guys to suceed. But ive been wrong before
Sheetice

Post by Sheetice »

WarriorXL wrote:Finally someone that realizes that new ulm isint going to be as strong as they've been in the past. Right now they have goalie and defensive zone issues along with the sleepy eye kids that play, learning their systems and getting used to the speed and talent of their schedule isint going to be easy. They also have quite a few kids out such as dylan schreckenberg, and drew pfaff. Both have played varisty and are solid. It would help round out their team.Give these guys so time to gel and get everyone back. They play a tough schedule which will help get them back to the X again.
They have already gone through two goalies and both havent played good, so my guess is they'll give the next start to sophmore brach kraus. If they can get their D zone and goaltender solidified they will be a good team. They have plenty of firepower up front. I expect them to play a very good game against marshall on thursday. I see to much talent not for these guys to suceed. But ive been wrong before
This might be New Ulm's weekest team in the last ten years, but still have a good chance to win the section. Can't wait till thursday's game against Marshall, should be a good one.
Section 3A HockeyScout

Secction 3A Games

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout »

Section 3A Games Tonight

New Ulm over Fairmont: Eagles should wax a very down fairmont team.
LDC over Morris Benson: Dragons stay hot and go to 3-0
Marshall over Luverne: Tigers continue their dominance over Luverne. Should win by 2 or 3 goals.

My Game of the night
Picking Hutch over Shakopee: Hutch starts to get on a roll after the set back to Marshall. I will be there should be a fun one to watch!
chicagosoxs99

Post by chicagosoxs99 »

what happened to shrekenberg and phaff?
Sheetice

Post by Sheetice »

chicagosoxs99 wrote:what happened to shrekenberg and phaff?
Shrekenberg out because of grades and Phaff is out because of an injury (knee).
dangle snipe n' celly

Post by dangle snipe n' celly »

Well Marshall handily beats luvurne 8-3. Was a good game. Marshall was clearly the better team. Had a mental lapse in the second and that's when luvurne scored all 3 goals but otherwise Marshall dominated the game. Luvurne had a lot of dumb penalties and that really helped Marshall

Should be an interesting game Thursday, Marshall vs new ulm. Any predictions?
WarriorXL

Post by WarriorXL »

Depends on who new ulm starts in net
cellyhard21

Post by cellyhard21 »

WarriorXL wrote:Depends on who new ulm starts in net
I think they should be more worried about defense then who's in the net.

p.s Luverne.... ouchhhhhh
Section 3A HockeyScout

Secction 3A Games

Well looks like the night goes as I predicted

Hutch beat Shakopee 4 to 2. The tigers looked good last night. They outshot shakopee by a 2 to 1 margin. Played tough D and got some timely goals. The Cowger boys were impressive good win rebound for Hutch.

Other 3A Scores:
New Ulm did wax faimoint 14-2
LDC beats Morris Benson 6 to 4
Waconia beats redwood 8 to 0
Marshall dominates Luverne 8 to 3
Chalk_Talk

Post by Chalk_Talk »

Has New Ulm ever lost to Fairmont in school history?

Just wondering
Cujo

Post by Cujo »

Im sure they have lost to them at some point in history. I know they had an overtime game a few years back that they ended up winning.
Prediction for tomorrows New Ulm vs Marshall game. I think it will be a close one for sure as they always are in recent years. Ill give the edge to New Ulm. I think after a shaky start their out to prove something. I also think they have the best offense in the section. I seen that schreckenberg is back to. Him and Peterson will be big threats in the offensive zone. Also they probably have the worst defense among the usual top 4 teams. That could cost them game and maybe another shot at a state tourny appearence.
But at the same time you could give the edge to Marshall because of how they've played in the last two games. Two big wins they're coming off of and they'll have plenty of confidence coming in. It could be their downfall or lead them to a hefty vicorty. I also seen that there goalie was in the top 10 save percentages in the state on hockeyhub. Who knows who New Ulm will start tomorrow. Should be interesting to see who it is.
Im going to say itll be a 5-4 or 4-3 game with either team winning. Maybe add another goal from an EN. But you get the point
Bettman's Bender

Post by Bettman's Bender »

Game will be decided in net. New Ulm is better up front but much weaker than Marshall is defensively. New Ulm is very shaky in goal, to be expected as they never developed a goalie during burgau's three years on varsity.

Where's TimmyC and newtohockey? Somebody has to explain the upset of the century Marshall over Luverne... :lol:

Luverne a contender.... please. :roll:
Section 3A HockeyScout

Section 3A

Marshall vs. New Ulm Area

Should be a fun game to see what happens. New Ulm really had Marshall's number last year. It will be interesting to see what happens. Both team don't have the best goaltending. (Sorry Bettman but your brother is not the best he fights the puck really bad as mentioned on here before). However, he does have a great defense in front of him!

New Ulm Area has a lot of weapons up front for offensive talent. There D is very suspect. Marshall will need to stay smart they have been known to get dumb penalties against New Ulm in the past.

I think this will be a good game I honestly think New Ulm wins because it is on their ice and they have Marshall's number. We shall see...
TheSiouxSuck

Post by TheSiouxSuck »

Chalk_Talk wrote:Has New Ulm ever lost to Fairmont in school history?

Just wondering
New Ulm has never lost to fairmont at the varsity level. As far as I can remember the only loss New Ulm has ever had within their conference was an 8-6 loss at home to Waseca in 04.
new2coachin

Post by new2coachin »

Bettman's Bender wrote:Game will be decided in net. New Ulm is better up front but much weaker than Marshall is defensively. New Ulm is very shaky in goal, to be expected as they never developed a goalie during burgau's three years on varsity.

Where's TimmyC and newtohockey? Somebody has to explain the upset of the century Marshall over Luverne... :lol:

Luverne a contender.... please. :roll:
Sorry, I'm still in awe of the awesome tigers & trying to digest all of the talent I saw tuesday evening in Marshall :roll:
no5hole

Re: Section 3A

Post by no5hole »

Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:Marshall vs. New Ulm Area

Should be a fun game to see what happens. New Ulm really had Marshall's number last year. It will be interesting to see what happens. Both team don't have the best goaltending. (Sorry Bettman but your brother is not the best he fights the puck really bad as mentioned on here before). However, he does have a great defense in front of him!

New Ulm Area has a lot of weapons up front for offensive talent. There D is very suspect. Marshall will need to stay smart they have been known to get dumb penalties against New Ulm in the past.

I think this will be a good game I honestly think New Ulm wins because it is on their ice and they have Marshall's number. We shall see...

Buysse, is that u :shock:
Gretzky9

Post by Gretzky9 »

TheSiouxSuck wrote:

Just wondering
New Ulm has never lost to fairmont at the varsity level. As far as I can remember the only loss New Ulm has ever had within their conference was an 8-6 loss at home to Waseca in 04.
How far back are you going? Clearly there were a number of years where NU did not win the conference they were in. I know for fact. Now, if you are just going back maybe 10 years or so I could possibly buy that.
Chalk_Talk

Post by Chalk_Talk »

Gretzky9 wrote:
TheSiouxSuck wrote:

Just wondering
How far back are you going? Clearly there were a number of years where NU did not win the conference they were in. I know for fact. Now, if you are just going back maybe 10 years or so I could possibly buy that.
What conference was in NU in prior to the current?

The next question is, How long has Fairmont had a program?
TheSiouxSuck

Post by TheSiouxSuck »

Chalk_Talk wrote:
Gretzky9 wrote:
TheSiouxSuck wrote: New Ulm has never lost to fairmont at the varsity level. As far as I can remember the only loss New Ulm has ever had within their conference was an 8-6 loss at home to Waseca in 04.

I'm talking about the formation of the SCC conference. The only conference loss I can recall is that 8-6 loss in 03-04 (in which I think the shots were 60ish to 14 in favor of New Ulm.) New was previously in the central minnesota conference which I beleive was New Ulm, Northfield, St. Peter, and a team that escapes me, on a hunch I feel like it was STMA.

Fairmont has had varsity hockey since... 96 I beleive.
Gretzky9

Post by Gretzky9 »

TheSiouxSuck wrote:
Chalk_Talk wrote:
Gretzky9 wrote: How far back are you going? Clearly there were a number of years where NU did not win the conference they were in. I know for fact. Now, if you are just going back maybe 10 years or so I could possibly buy that.

I'm talking about the formation of the SCC conference. The only conference loss I can recall is that 8-6 loss in 03-04 (in which I think the shots were 60ish to 14 in favor of New Ulm.) New was previously in the central minnesota conference which I beleive was New Ulm, Northfield, St. Peter, and a team that escapes me, on a hunch I feel like it was STMA.

That is correct. Not sure when the conference exactly went totally SCC, but the Central MN conference had New Ulm, Northfield, St. Peter, Le Sueur, Fairbault, and Waseca as it's members originally....with the possiblility of one or two more teams. I would have to look it up. New Ulm lost plenty back then, even when the Steinbach brothers rolled through there.
Chalk_Talk

Post by Chalk_Talk »

Gretzky9 wrote:
TheSiouxSuck wrote:
Chalk_Talk wrote: What conference was in NU in prior to the current?

That is correct. Not sure when the conference exactly went totally SCC, but the Central MN conference had New Ulm, Northfield, St. Peter, Le Sueur, Fairbault, and Waseca as it's members originally....with the possiblility of one or two more teams. I would have to look it up. New Ulm lost plenty back then, even when the Steinbach brothers rolled through there.
If Fairmont's varsity program started in 96, the Steinbach bros were long gone by then (Prior to 96 I would emagine Fair played junior gold, if so they would not be playing NU) In 95 New Ulm lost like 4 games. This was the year they were upset by Kato West. I'm not a big New Ulm hockey history buff, I just don't see a time when NU would have lost to Fair.
Section 3A HockeyScout

Section 3A

Marshall 4 New Ulm 3

The Tigers pull out a huge road win. They were out shot 2 to 1 in this game but find a way to win. Huge win for Marshall they are very quickly locking up the #1 seed in Section 3A. Marshall is the early favorite to get the X. If they can beat beat Litch they will have passed every test.

Other Scores:
Waseca 7 Fairmont 5

Worthington 5 Windom 5 OT: Wow dont sleep on the Trojans anymore!!
Grocery_Stick

Post by Grocery_Stick »

Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:Marshall 4 New Ulm 3

The Tigers pull out a huge road win. They were out shot 2 to 1 in this game but find a way to win. Huge win for Marshall they are very quickly locking up the #1 seed in Section 3A. Marshall is the early favorite to get the X. If they can beat beat Litch they will have passed every test.

Other Scores:
Waseca 7 Fairmont 5

dont start handing seeds out yet, its still early in the season and anything can happen. 3 of the big 4 are still finding their core d-men and goalies, by the end of the season i would say the whole section could be flipped.
Section 3A HockeyScout

Grocery_Stick wrote:

Other Scores:
Waseca 7 Fairmont 5

dont start handing seeds out yet, its still early in the season and anything can happen. 3 of the big 4 are still finding their core d-men and goalies, by the end of the season i would say the whole section could be flipped.

So do you mean Worthington will have the #1 Seed?? Or just a bitter New Ulm fan that his team lost a game they should of won last night?

Seriously though Marshall is #1 seed as of now if they beat Litch they have a very solid case.... They are the only team of the top 4 that actually plays a Section schedule.
Grocery_Stick

Post by Grocery_Stick »

Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:
Grocery_Stick wrote:

Other Scores:
Waseca 7 Fairmont 5

So do you mean Worthington will have the #1 Seed?? Or just a bitter New Ulm fan that his team lost a game they should of won last night?

Seriously though Marshall is #1 seed as of now if they beat Litch they have a very solid case.... They are the only team of the top 4 that actually plays a Section schedule.
Not saying marshall hasnt earned anyrthing. im just saying most teams are 4-5 games into the season if that. too early to get excited about anything. everyone knows where worthington stands but in southwest mn even they could make a run. The best team is the one that keeps winning, and whether its Marshall, New Ulm, Hutch, Litchfield, Windom, Luvurne, Redwood, or Worthington, any seed is still up for grabs.