Lucia/Guentzel

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Murray Chadwick

Lucia/Guentzel

Post by Murray Chadwick » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:38 am

Can anybody offer any insight or shed any light on what the relationship is between Don Lucia and Mike Guentzel? It seems as though Guentzel was the scapegoat in 2008 when he got fired after the Gophers lost in the first round of the NCAA tourney. Now, after they've failed to reach the NCAA's the last three years, Guentzel is hired back as associate head coach. Guentzel deserves a lot of credit for the success of this year's club, but does that only create more friction in an already chilly relationship with the Don? Was it boosters/alumni that pushed for Guentzel to be back on the staff?

FightingSioux5

Re: Lucia/Guentzel

Post by FightingSioux5 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:13 pm

Murray Chadwick wrote:Can anybody offer any insight or shed any light on what the relationship is between Don Lucia and Mike Guentzel? It seems as though Guentzel was the scapegoat in 2008 when he got fired after the Gophers lost in the first round of the NCAA tourney. Now, after they've failed to reach the NCAA's the last three years, Guentzel is hired back as associate head coach. Guentzel deserves a lot of credit for the success of this year's club, but does that only create more friction in an already chilly relationship with the Don? Was it boosters/alumni that pushed for Guentzel to be back on the staff?
The gophers have been an underachieving team since Guentzel left. I think "The Don" finally realized that he made a mistake in letting him leave and decided to bring him back (in order to help save his own job). All I can say is Guentzel is a good recruiter, and it seems to me like he does a very good job with the gopher defensemen.
As a Sioux fan, however, I was somewhat disappointed that the Goofs were able to get him to come back to Minnesota :lol: