# 9 Moose Lake (11-14) @ #1 Hermantown (25-0) 2-23-12 7pm

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

GA for Hermantown?

Poll ended at Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:17 pm

Shutout
50%
35%
3%
3+
12%

Total votes: 34

HShockeywatcher

# 9 Moose Lake (11-14) @ #1 Hermantown (25-0) 2-23-12 7pm

Post by HShockeywatcher »

The question isn't who is going to win, it's "how many goals will the Cisar trio score?" While there are 194 points between the three of them, there are also only 3 other players on the rosters with 10 or more points, compared to Hermantown's 15.

How many goals will the awesome Hermantown defense allow?
DuluthMMA

Re: # 9 Moose Lake (11-14) @ #1 Hermantown (25-0) 2-23-12 7p

Post by DuluthMMA »

HShockeywatcher wrote:The question isn't who is going to win, it's "how many goals will the Cisar trio score?" While there are 194 points between the three of them, there are also only 3 other players on the rosters with 10 or more points, compared to Hermantown's 15.

Honestly. I'd be surprised if they scored one goal. Hermantown has a great defense and penalty kill. So let's see how the Cisar boys do against a good defense

They scored 3 against proctor and lost pretty badly, I don't think there is much hope but then again, I'm sure grand rapids was pretty confident on an easy win a few days ago too :)
HShockeywatcher

Re: # 9 Moose Lake (11-14) @ #1 Hermantown (25-0) 2-23-12 7p

DuluthMMA wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:The question isn't who is going to win, it's "how many goals will the Cisar trio score?" While there are 194 points between the three of them, there are also only 3 other players on the rosters with 10 or more points, compared to Hermantown's 15.

Honestly. I'd be surprised if they scored one goal. Hermantown has a great defense and penalty kill. So let's see how the Cisar boys do against a good defense

They scored 3 against proctor and lost pretty badly, I don't think there is much hope but then again, I'm sure grand rapids was pretty confident on an easy win a few days ago too :)
Well, for the Cisars it would be nice to see some goals/assists from these brothers. Scouts to see players on both teams I bet.

That being said, one of the shut out votes is from me. If the Hawks can shut down Judd, my guess is the bros won't be an issue.
The Best in the Bizz3

Post by The Best in the Bizz3 »

imho, if the cisar's dont score, I'd be disapointed. H-town has a couple good D, but with the number of pts these guys have scored this year, they will either prove they have atleast a little potential, or has many on this board think, just a couple decently skilled guys playing a horrid schedule. We will have to wait and see though...
The best, period
HShockeywatcher

The Best in the Bizz3 wrote:imho, if the cisar's dont score, I'd be disapointed. H-town has a couple good D, but with the number of pts these guys have scored this year, they will either prove they have atleast a little potential, or has many on this board think, just a couple decently skilled guys playing a horrid schedule. We will have to wait and see though...
My opinion, of course:
I agree to a point. They are literally the whole team. If Hermantown's goal is a shut out (and it should be imo) then you play those guys. If you shut one or two out, they have nothing.

And the Hawks aren't going to the box and have a clearly good D group. I guess only time will tell. Maybe they'll upset the Hawks and prove to all the neigh-sayers they can play :shock:
blacklung

Post by blacklung »

No team has managed to shut-out Moose Lake Area this year. Only 1 team limited them to 1 goal. I have seen the Cisar boys play and they are skilled.
Imo, it will take a great defensive game by Hermantown with few if any mistakes. I don't think there will be an upset, but a Rebel goal would not surprise me.
BobSaget

Post by BobSaget »

blacklung wrote:No team has managed to shut-out Moose Lake Area this year. Only 1 team limited them to 1 goal. I have seen the Cisar boys play and they are skilled.
Imo, it will take a great defensive game by Hermantown with few if any mistakes. I don't think there will be an upset, but a Rebel goal would not surprise me.
I would be astonished if Moose Lake put up a single tally...I understand these guys have racked up some serious points, but their best competition has been who? Proctor? Princeton? Not saying they are bad players...but the cisars don't know what they are dealing with in the beast that is hermantown. Pine city was the only team that could hold these guys to one goal...they were the 11 seed in the section...
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

I guessed one, figuring they would at least get a goal with a man advantage. Not unreasonable, IMO.
rainier

Post by rainier »

I think Moose Lake will get a goal or two because it will likely be 7-0 with 8 min. left and Herm's 3rd and 4th line will play the rest of the game, giving the Cisar's a good chance of burying one.
BobSaget

Post by BobSaget »

rainier wrote:I think Moose Lake will get a goal or two because it will likely be 7-0 with 8 min. left and Herm's 3rd and 4th line will play the rest of the game, giving the Cisar's a good chance of burying one.
I can buy in to that logic far more than I can buy in to the logic that they will score because they haven't been shut out yet this year.
blacklung

Post by blacklung »

BobSaget wrote:
rainier wrote:I think Moose Lake will get a goal or two because it will likely be 7-0 with 8 min. left and Herm's 3rd and 4th line will play the rest of the game, giving the Cisar's a good chance of burying one.
I can buy in to that logic far more than I can buy in to the logic that they will score because they haven't been shut out yet this year.
My point was that they are talented players and have scored al least one goal in every game this year.
I did not know that until I looked at their record.
Not saying they will score just because of that. I was just giving them a little credit.
I agree with what rainier said. Even then, it is going to be tough for ML to even get the puck out of their zone let alone score a goal.
FYI, I voted shut out. :D
KICKED-IN-THE-PRIVATES

Post by KICKED-IN-THE-PRIVATES »

5-0 Hermantown. Playoff hockey, things get tighter. Sorry Mlake, no goals, not against Hermatown's defense.
Cornermukker

Post by Cornermukker »

8 rip for the Hawks..
HShockeywatcher

BobSaget wrote:
During the regular season, I buy this, as many teams do this and, as I've said many times, I'm sure much of Hermantown's GA have been the result of switching up lines. But, as evidence by their last 4 shut outs in a row, it's playoff time, and time to get serious.

I highly doubt that, especially with a shut out streak alive, players will be resting with the brothers on the ice.
BobSaget

Post by BobSaget »

HShockeywatcher wrote: During the regular season, I buy this, as many teams do this and, as I've said many times, I'm sure much of Hermantown's GA have been the result of switching up lines. But, as evidence by their last 4 shut outs in a row, it's playoff time, and time to get serious.

I highly doubt that, especially with a shut out streak alive, players will be resting with the brothers on the ice.
Are you saying that in an 11-0, even 5-0, game with 5 minutes left in the third Hermantown will be more concerned with a shutout than maintaining player health? I understand that shutouts are cool and all...but I don't think Bruce Plante will even be thinking about a shutout. He'll be trying to keep Jared Thomas from getting a concussion from the proverbial "senior shift" that you see in a lot of high school playoff games like this.

That said, I stick by my original post and say I don't think that Hermantown will give up a goal. They are simply superior to Moose Lake in every aspect of the game.
blacklung

Post by blacklung »

BobSaget wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote: During the regular season, I buy this, as many teams do this and, as I've said many times, I'm sure much of Hermantown's GA have been the result of switching up lines. But, as evidence by their last 4 shut outs in a row, it's playoff time, and time to get serious.

Are you saying that in an 11-0, even 5-0, game with 5 minutes left in the third Hermantown will be more concerned with a shutout than maintaining player health? I understand that shutouts are cool and all...but I don't think Bruce Plante will even be thinking about a shutout. He'll be trying to keep Jared Thomas from getting a concussion from the proverbial "senior shift" that you see in a lot of high school playoff games like this.

That said, I stick by my original post and say I don't think that Hermantown will give up a goal. They are simply superior to Moose Lake in every aspect of the game.
Right on. Obviously he needs to win this game, but he could give a rip about a shut out. It’s just us fans that like to talk about it. If Herm gets one, it’s not going to be because it was his primary objective that’s for sure.
HShockeywatcher

blacklung wrote:
BobSaget wrote:

Right on. Obviously he needs to win this game, but he could give a rip about a shut out. It’s just us fans that like to talk about it. If Herm gets one, it’s not going to be because it was his primary objective that’s for sure.
They are a very good defensive team; so it seems and many of their fans have said. Their fans have also said that throughout the season their team has been switching up lines for development purposes.

With the last 4 games' results as evidence I doubt they are doing this as much anymore. They will be running their top lines because they have at most 6 more games and they want the best guys on the ice playing the best hockey and getting the most experience together they can.

While I know coaches think about statistical things more than people here seem to give them credit for, I doubt the coach is going into this game for his 5th shut out in a row, but the shut out should be a result of how they are playing now in their season.
BobSaget

Post by BobSaget »

HShockeywatcher wrote: With the last 4 games' results as evidence I doubt they are doing this as much anymore. They will be running their top lines because they have at most 6 more games and they want the best guys on the ice playing the best hockey and getting the most experience together they can.

You really think that they would rather have guys risking injury in a blowout and getting "experience together" instead of letting the 3rd and 4th liners go out there for mop up duty? That's an outrageous thought, IMO. I don't know where you played but where I come from the top liners would ride pony late in blowouts and us third and fourth liners would take the lumps for the talent.
HShockeywatcher wrote:While I know coaches think about statistical things more than people here seem to give them credit for, I doubt the coach is going into this game for his 5th shut out in a row, but the shut out should be a result of how they are playing now in their season.
I agree with the statement that a shut out should be a result of them playing well and being a better team.
HShockeywatcher

BobSaget wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote: With the last 4 games' results as evidence I doubt they are doing this as much anymore. They will be running their top lines because they have at most 6 more games and they want the best guys on the ice playing the best hockey and getting the most experience together they can.

You really think that they would rather have guys risking injury in a blowout and getting "experience together" instead of letting the 3rd and 4th liners go out there for mop up duty? That's an outrageous thought, IMO. I don't know where you played but where I come from the top liners would ride pony late in blowouts and us third and fourth liners would take the lumps for the talent.
The part of this that I never understand is comments like "it will likely be 7-0 with 8 min. left and Herm's 3rd and 4th line will play the rest of the game, giving the Cisar's a good chance of burying one." I haven't seen Hermantown play this year unfortunately, but don't they get the best experience playing alongside their good teammates?

The coach doesn't say, "ah, this one's in the bag, back up goalie, you're going in, bottom defenders and 3rd and 4th lines, you'll finish up for us, 1st and 2nd lines, hit the showers" or anything to that effect.

In my experience as a fan of this game, and talking to players, you see the lower players mixed in with the better to help them improve. Mixing up lines; 1st and two 4ths, two 2nds with a 3rd, top D with lower D, etc. Sure, you are worse, but not quite to say you're bad yet.

Anyway, 8 hours from now, we'll know.
BobSaget

Post by BobSaget »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
BobSaget wrote:

The part of this that I never understand is comments like "it will likely be 7-0 with 8 min. left and Herm's 3rd and 4th line will play the rest of the game, giving the Cisar's a good chance of burying one." I haven't seen Hermantown play this year unfortunately, but don't they get the best experience playing alongside their good teammates?

The coach doesn't say, "ah, this one's in the bag, back up goalie, you're going in, bottom defenders and 3rd and 4th lines, you'll finish up for us, 1st and 2nd lines, hit the showers" or anything to that effect.

In my experience as a fan of this game, and talking to players, you see the lower players mixed in with the better to help them improve. Mixing up lines; 1st and two 4ths, two 2nds with a 3rd, top D with lower D, etc. Sure, you are worse, but not quite to say you're bad yet.

Anyway, 8 hours from now, we'll know.
Well, I guess I would say we did things differently at the school where I played than the school that you watched.

I think you are just rambling with mindless drivel, IMO. To each their own, I guess.
HShockeywatcher

In just the last 4 games Jared Thomas has been involved in goals with 8 different teammates, 4 being different forwards. While I don't know who is on which line, I highly doubt their top line has 5 forwards on it.

Lines get mixed up for various reasons during a game. But you can be right, Thomas, Mattson and Benson will most likely warm the bench the 3rd period.
Hoc2x21

3rd Liners and Backup Goalie

Post by Hoc2x21 »

4-0 Htown aft 1 period. I hope the 3rd liners and the backup goalie are ready. \:D/
Northhcky

Post by Northhcky »

Hermantown up 9-1
SOG 57-9
Don't see the score changing much from that. Plante will call them off.
2good4u

Post by 2good4u »

welp saw this coming from a mile away, the next game for hermantown should look a lot like this one too
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

Northhcky wrote:Hermantown up 9-1
SOG 57-9
Don't see the score changing much from that. Plante will call them off.
Which Cisar scored for ML? Wasn't the consensus that if they scored one goal they were for real?