Section 8AA Championship 2/29 7pm Moorhead vs. Brainerd

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who will win Section 8AA?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:43 pm

Moorhead Spuds
61%
Brainerd Warriors
39%

Total votes: 46

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

Gotta go with Brainerd 4-3.
Im on the bandwagon.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

Bitzer leads Moorhead to the W.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Syd Barrett wrote:
whos_it wrote:Brainerd can all wear number 99 and it aint going to make no difference.
Just looks out for numbers 16, 17 & 18 if the Spuds plan to remain healthy :idea:
Archy's 5th line is more than ready!

CitiesSpudsGuy

Post by CitiesSpudsGuy »

The Spuds are ready too!

50+ years of Spuds Hockey
SPUDNUT

Post by SPUDNUT »

Green and White Fan wrote:Spudnut, hang something better than a Runner-Up banner and then come and talk trash! Always a bridesmaid. 2007 still stings doesn't it!!
Nope - doesn't. Wasn't talkin' trash - just stating a fact: Sheep will be listening to Thursday nite's game on the radio. What stings Sheep fans is the Taters' record against the Sheep for the last 20 years: 32-15-0 (8-4-0 in Section playoffs) !

Go pick on someone you can win against more than 30% of the time.
Cornermukker

Post by Cornermukker »

Go Warriors!
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Nothing against Moorhead personally, but the Shady Bunch (almost typed Shaky there) deserves a trip to State. And a quarterfinal matchup against East, assuming the Hounds can get past Andover tonight.

But my head says Moorhead by two.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
butterball5

Post by butterball5 »

Spuds 3-0
CitiesSpudsGuy

Post by CitiesSpudsGuy »

east hockey wrote:Nothing against Moorhead personally, but the Shady Bunch (almost typed Shaky there) deserves a trip to State. And a quarterfinal matchup against East, assuming the Hounds can get past Andover tonight.

Lee
To be perfectly honest, if Brainerd wins tonight and goes to the big dance for the first time ever, it really won't bother me that much. The Spuds have been there many times and had better chances to win it all and didn't get it done. And I'm sure this year's team isn't going to bring home the big prize if they go to St. Paul either. But I'll still be in Bemidji tonight cheering them on. :D
50+ years of Spuds Hockey
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

Bitzer and the Spuds...
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

east hockey wrote:Nothing against Moorhead personally, but the Shady Bunch (almost typed Shaky there) deserves a trip to State. And a quarterfinal matchup against East, assuming the Hounds can get past Andover tonight.

Lee
Are you suckin' up to thsoe ingrats....
Brainerd deserves didly....
Pohlkamp's old man is such a loser....
:lol:
in 12 year-old baseball anyway.

I really wish that Brainerd would win, but just do not see it....

Moorhead by 3....
:(
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

CitiesSpudsGuy wrote:

Lee
To be perfectly honest, if Brainerd wins tonight and goes to the big dance for the first time ever, it really won't bother me that much. The Spuds have been there many times and had better chances to win it all and didn't get it done. And I'm sure this year's team isn't going to bring home the big prize if they go to St. Paul either. But I'll still be in Bemidji tonight cheering them on. :D
I will be in Bemidji tonight....
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

elliott70 wrote:I will be in Bemidji tonight....
I'm sure you'll have a good time. Probably be a competitive tilt. Although I think the Spuds will win.
Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan »

spudnut, you can throw out all the stats you want. Ram fans are not stung by the Spuds what so ever. Again, we have 7 of something you have ZERO and if you tell me that doesn't eat at you, you are a liar! Maybe this is your year, but chances are, still no banner in Spudville. Good luck against Brainerd.
northwoods oldtimer

Coach Archibald: What are you guys doing?
Syd Barrett: Puttin' on the foil!
Video Scout: Every game!
Bluesbuddy: Yeah, you want some?
whos_it

Post by whos_it »

Things just are not the same in these posts these days ................ "Slapshooter", where are you?

Tater's by 4, by the way.
RoseauHockeyFan

Good Game

Post by RoseauHockeyFan »

Wow, games tied 1-1. It looks like a battle to the end.
Hockey22

Post by Hockey22 »

1 to 1 after 2 periods
northwoods oldtimer

told you boys it would be a barn burner....should listen to the old man :wink:
hotpotato81

Post by hotpotato81 »

It's a final 3-1 spuds with an EN.
section8aafan

Post by section8aafan »

hotpotato81 wrote:It's a final 3-1 spuds with an EN.
Not until Moorhead got a 2 man advantage late in the third. Good win for Moorhead. It's too bad for Brainerd because they had the momentum until the penalties.

Either way, hoping Section 8 represents at state.
northwoods oldtimer

Can someone give us a fair ruling on the 5 minute major. Should it have been called?
What about the 2 minute minor to give the Spuds the 5 on 3?

Refs step up at the wrong time to make calls or were they necessary to call with 7 minutes left in a section final game?

The timing looks a little odd to take over a game.
gowest

Post by gowest »

elliott70 wrote:

Lee
Are you suckin' up to thsoe ingrats....
Brainerd deserves didly....
Pohlkamp's old man is such a loser....
:lol:
in 12 year-old baseball anyway.

I really wish that Brainerd would win, but just do not see it....

Moorhead by 3....
:(
I thought Pohlkamps 12 year-old baseball team went to the cal rypkin world series :oops:
Potatohead9

Post by Potatohead9 »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:Can someone give us a fair ruling on the 5 minute major. Should it have been called?

Refs step up at the wrong time to make calls or were they necessary to call with 7 minutes left in a section final game?

I have seen the best and worst of the refs this year......the Moorhead vs Roseau Section Semi was one of the best called games I have seen in awhile.
Then there is last nights game....I think Brainerd and Moorhead fans will agree they missed calls all night.
As for the 5 min major.....it was on the Brainerd side of the boards along the blue line. So they did not see what the Moorhead side did. And yes it was a major.
As for the second 2 min minor called in front of Brainerds goal crease.......a spud player was in screening the goalie and gets checked on to his butt. The puck was behind the goal line so yes they had to call it......
Earlier in the game Moorhead had an odd man scoring opportunity and one penalty was called on Brainerd yet two Spuds were hauled down to the ice? Perhaps they should have called both?

We could go back and forth on this and I would agree both sides there were missed calls. On team had to win the game and the Section Championship. But I dont think anyone who could have come out to the Section will have a chance at State. Spuds will go 2 and out at state. Maybe they will surprise me and win a game, but that would be due to the play of Bitzer in net.

Congrats to a great Season Brainerd!
section8aafan

Post by section8aafan »

Potatohead9 wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote:Can someone give us a fair ruling on the 5 minute major. Should it have been called?

I have seen the best and worst of the refs this year......the Moorhead vs Roseau Section Semi was one of the best called games I have seen in awhile.
Then there is last nights game....I think Brainerd and Moorhead fans will agree they missed calls all night.
As for the 5 min major.....it was on the Brainerd side of the boards along the blue line. So they did not see what the Moorhead side did. And yes it was a major.
As for the second 2 min minor called in front of Brainerds goal crease.......a spud player was in screening the goalie and gets checked on to his butt. The puck was behind the goal line so yes they had to call it......
Earlier in the game Moorhead had an odd man scoring opportunity and one penalty was called on Brainerd yet two Spuds were hauled down to the ice? Perhaps they should have called both?

We could go back and forth on this and I would agree both sides there were missed calls. On team had to win the game and the Section Championship. But I dont think anyone who could have come out to the Section will have a chance at State. Spuds will go 2 and out at state. Maybe they will surprise me and win a game, but that would be due to the play of Bitzer in net.

Congrats to a great Season Brainerd!
So Brainerd trying to kill a 5 on 3 with less than ten minutes left in the game is fair? The first penalty may have been one but it was not a five minute penalty. And even with the make-up calls, the 5 minute penalty was still going on so Brainerd never really got a powerplay at the end. There may have been missed calls on both sides but you can't make it seem like Brainerd benefitted at all because they didn't.

I'm not saying that Brainerd would have won. Moorhead always wins the big section games when it matters. But putting Brainerd down 2 men including a 5 minute penalty was the nail in the coffin.

Everyone will always look at this section as Moorhead and Roseau but I don't think anyone realizes how many good games Bemidji and Brainerd give these two.