Future Minnesota recruits

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Irish

Future Minnesota recruits

Post by Irish » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:36 pm

Each and every year Minnesota loses some good players early to the NHL.
I realize it's hard for these players to turn down NHL contracts and signing bonuses. I also realize that the money will still be there when they turn pro.

What will it take to keep these players for at least three years at Minnesota?

warriors41

Post by warriors41 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:59 am

Well let's face it. Minnesota is probably the premier college program when you take into account a bunch of different factors. First, the are in the heart of recruiting country. Most Minnesota high school hockey stars grow up watching and cheering for the Gophers. Those kids are the ones who are going to leave early. They also have a bunch of history when it comes to championships. I think one of the problems in the last few years is that those kids with an opportunity to leave early could see that there just wasn't that chance to win the college championship they wanted so why not leave early. The success that the Gophers have had this year might change that to some people on the team who might be considering jumping up to the next level. If Minnesota is competitive in the NCAA tournament but doesn't quite win it maybe someone like Bjugstad will decide it's worth sticking around for another year to try again.
They could also recruit more kids out of juniors. And I'm not talking about the 16,17,18 year old junior kids. Go and grab the 20 year olds. The ones who have worked for years and are able to play at that level but don't already have a pro career in mind. Those are the ones who will be leading your team and just a year two by the they act on and off the ice. In other words, winning solves most problems in sports. When your team leaders stick around the full four years and don't "abandon" the team that impression will stick with everyone and make them think twice when they have the chance. A classic example of this kind of player would be like a Matt Read from Bemidji State last year. Granted, there aren't many kids on the BSU roster that will have a chance to play at the next level, but he is someone who played Canadian juniors, was overlooked by most NCAA teams but had an awesome college career. He turned down pro tryouts after his junior year and decided to finish up and get his degree. Now he is in the NHL and has 35 points in his rookie year and was one of the pre-season favorites to win rookie of the year. If he plays for the U of M or UND his commitment to the team would be invaluable. In the last few years Lucia has staterd recruiting the grinders and Juniors players but he could probably still look a little harder. I know a lot of Gopher fans rip on UND for it but there is no shame in recruiting Canadian Junior leagues either.

LetsPlayHockey22

Post by LetsPlayHockey22 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:31 pm

Parenteau would be a good example of a gritty junior player Lucia picked up. Although he put up a lot of points in the NAHL, he started in the Mnjhl, and now is a solid defensive defenseman for the gophs. I like watching his play and how he jumps into the play and gets the puck up the ice. Players like that or like Tom Serratorre get me excited to watch the gophers play. If Bjugstad comes back next year, the whole first line should still be intact and they have an opportunity to make a run.

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:53 pm

You're not going to win as much if your strategy is to load up on 20 year old guys that have little future on the next level.

The reality is you simply have to find a blend of players.

The main adjustment the Gophers have made in the last year or so is they have focused recruiting more on smaller forwards with elite skill. The types of players that have the kind of skill that could get to the NHL some day but maybe not the prototypical size to leave college after a year or two. Cammarata, Guertler, Lettieri, Kloos, Rau, and a few others are very skilled kids but don't have the type of physical size that the pro teams find ideal. Hence, these are the kinds of kids that you are more likely to see playing for three or four years in college and having some pretty productive offensive numbers.

Then you build off of those types of guys by adding some bigger, older players with more of a physical mentality.

But for me, the key to all the top Gopher teams was what they had for talent on the blue line. When they are at their best, they are usually pretty loaded up on defensive players with skill. This year's group lacks the super skilled types like Leopold, Martin, etc but they have overcome some of that with a strong team defensive concept. I am really excited about them adding Brady Skjei and Mike Reilly to the mix next year. The blue line group next season is going to be VERY good.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:07 pm

Gopher Blog wrote:You're not going to win as much if your strategy is to load up on 20 year old guys that have little future on the next level.

The reality is you simply have to find a blend of players.

The main adjustment the Gophers have made in the last year or so is they have focused recruiting more on smaller forwards with elite skill. The types of players that have the kind of skill that could get to the NHL some day but maybe not the prototypical size to leave college after a year or two. Cammarata, Guertler, Lettieri, Kloos, Rau, and a few others are very skilled kids but don't have the type of physical size that the pro teams find ideal. Hence, these are the kinds of kids that you are more likely to see playing for three or four years in college and having some pretty productive offensive numb will leave early?

Then you build off of those types of guys by adding some bigger, older players with more of a physical mentality.

But for me, the key to all the top Gopher teams was what they had for talent on the blue line. When they are at their best, they are usually pretty loaded up on defensive players with skill. This year's group lacks the super skilled types like Leopold, Martin, etc but they have overcome some of that with a strong team defensive concept. I am really excited about them adding Brady Skjei and Mike Reilly to the mix next year. The blue line group next season is going to be VERY good.
With no seniors on D and if they all return, who do you see Skjei and Reilly replacing?

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:21 pm

mulefarm wrote:With no seniors on D and if they all return, who do you see Skjei and Reilly replacing?
We'll see if they all return. But I'd rather see either of the two rookies out there as opposed to Holl. Holl really annoys me with his play.

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:08 pm

I feel bad for Holl...he is stuck with the worst D in the WCHA. Helgeson has got to go!!

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:16 pm

Tigers33 wrote:I feel bad for Holl...he is stuck with the worst D in the WCHA. Helgeson has got to go!!
Helgeson isn't perfect but at least he isn't as soft as a pillow. Holl also makes too many mistakes with the puck given that is supposed to be one of his strengths.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:27 pm

The defense is light years ahead of where it has been in the past. It drove me nuts watching unskilled small guys like Wehrs, Fairchild, and Ness tip toe around in the defensive zone. You could just see teams like ND dump the puck in and expect to get control of it. Now we have size and strength throughout the group. Granted Helgy isn't real gifted, but at least he has a mean streak in him. Also having Mike back coaching the D has made a world of a difference. I don't know who you would replace if they all come back. I'm happy with their progress, and they will only get better with another year of experience under their belt.

I will add, that I expected more offense out of Marshall. He scares me some times in the D zone. He gets caught watching the puck instead of staying in front of the on-coming attack. But then again, he is only a Frosh.

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:58 pm

He is a freshman...give him time. If Marshall scares you than what about Thompson?? Schmitt wasnt much as a freshman. Same with Ness, and he is playing in the NHL now. Give Marshall time.

Helgy was supposed to be the real deal, not sure Holl has that reputation. Not sure where these defenseman will fit in next year. Parenteau is a must and should play every game.

LetsPlayHockey22

Post by LetsPlayHockey22 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:26 am

Tigers33 wrote:He is a freshman...give him time. If Marshall scares you than what about Thompson?? Schmitt wasnt much as a freshman. Same with Ness, and he is playing in the NHL now. Give Marshall time.

Helgy was supposed to be the real deal, not sure Holl has that reputation. Not sure where these defenseman will fit in next year. Parenteau is a must and should play every game.
Agreed, Parenteau is a steady defenseman who rarely makes mistakes. Marshalls downfall is trying to do too much with the puck, and sometimes he likes to puck watch on 1-on-1s. I know he is a good defenseman and maybe he'll be like Schmidt who had a breakout year this year and came into his own.

DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:34 am

Good conversation... Gopher D... :D Like talking D...

Agree with many of you, Holl has had some trouble with the puck, passes, and decision making this year... :shock: That cross pass to D partner last weekend on PP, that gave up the breakaway goal... :shock: No No...

Marshall has scared me all year, but also agree that as a freshman, he has time to make a jump next year, too much going on with the puck, just carry it youngman, just carry it... He will do fine next year...

Helgeson is Helgeson. Too aggressive at times, but like to have that size in lineup. Just let others shoot, and make the offensive plays... play tough, play D...

Alt. Not sure he has had a good year. Nice player. Nice size... Steady for the most part. But has tended to give up the puck the second half of this season too much, and has been burnt a time or two on D... Get puck control issues under wraps, and a makes jump in 2012/13...

Parenteau has played nice steady, no nonsense D... like this kid... He makes you feel comfortable with him on D for a shift, while watching the game...

Schmidt has been fun to watch. He really made a jump from freshman year to this year. Kudos to him! :!:

Next year brings in two very good young D in Skjei and Reilly... My guess is that it will cost time for Holl, definitely Thompson, and maybe Helgy...

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:36 pm

Helgeson sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Irish

Post by Irish » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:42 pm

Playing rival Wisconsin
Playing at home against rival Wisconsin
Playing at home and potentially clinching the WCHA title against your rival

Losing to Wisconsin at home? Priceless! :roll:

Irish

Post by Irish » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:52 pm

Regardless how Minnesota finishes the year. We need all the underclassmen to stay next year. Including Bjukstad and Alt.

Bottom line: We need our talent to stay as long as we can. Then we can build up some depth like we used to have.

How much size do the new recruits have coming to Minnesota?
Where does Minnesota rank for next year's recruiting class? What is a good site to look at?

DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:01 pm

Irish wrote:Regardless how Minnesota finishes the year. We need all the underclassmen to stay next year. Including Bjukstad and Alt.

Bottom line: We need our talent to stay as long as we can. Then we can build up some depth like we used to have.

How much size do the new recruits have coming to Minnesota?
Where does Minnesota rank for next year's recruiting class? What is a good site to look at?
Chris Heisenberg's 2012 website:

https://spreadsheets0.google.com/pub?hl ... utput=html

Gophers do not have big players coming in, but highly skilled offensive players that display better puck control than the current roster...

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:26 pm

Gophers for sure lose:
Matson
Hansen
Bjugstad - lets get real, he is gone!
Sachetti
Patterson

Any other forwards? Wow! Are we going to suck next season?

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Joey Miller

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:37 pm

Tigers33 wrote:Gophers for sure lose:
Matson
Hansen
Bjugstad - lets get real, he is gone!
Sachetti
Patterson

Any other forwards? Wow! Are we going to suck next season?
I don't think so.

DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:03 am

Nick Larson

gorilla1

Post by gorilla1 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:42 am

While Minnesota is a nice hockey program it is not the premier program in the country. Irish other programs have this issue. Perhaps they should look to other programs. The u simply does not have the depth they used to

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:23 pm

BodyShots wrote:The defense is light years ahead of where it has been in the past. It drove me nuts watching unskilled small guys like Wehrs, Fairchild, and Ness tip toe around in the defensive zone.
To be fair, you have to consider who their position coach was during most (or all) of their time in college. John Hill was not a good defensive coach. Obviously that situation has been rectified with Guentzel being back.

You shouldn't be too tough on Fairchild or Ness. Which I think goes to show how much better they could have been if they had a good position coach in college. They've both played some in the NHL this year.

Fairchild also had a tough time staying healthy the last two seasons as he had some shoulder issues each season that he had to play through (which wasn't well known to most people). It's not easy to play your best when you have a tough time even raising your hands to shoulder height.

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:31 pm

DmanDad1980 wrote:Gophers do not have big players coming in, but highly skilled offensive players that display better puck control than the current roster...
Kloos and Connor Reilly should be solid to good scorers in college. Maybe not right away but in time. Lucia was smart to spend wisely on forwards for the 2012 class because they knew the 2013 class had the potential to be special (and they were right as they landed their major targets for that class). If they spend too much on 2012, they would have had a tougher time landing the boatload of talent they got for 2013.

Skjei and Mike Reilly will be major additions next fall. I think people don't entirely realize how good they are. Reilly was at Shattuck (and now Penticton) so many locals aren't overly familiar with him since he didn't go through the usual MN HS route but he has a better PPG average in the BCHL that Laleggia at DU had the prior season (and Leleggia has been a stud at DU this year). Skjei is going to give them size and great speed from the blue line. Likely a 1st round pick this summer.

What might be an interesting idea would be to move Marshall up to forward for one season next year. Sort of play an Erik Westrum kind of role where he could play forward or defense. I say that because the team is going to be pretty deep on defense and maybe Marshall's dynamic offensive skills would be better suited at forward for next year's team. I guess we'll see.

sinbin006

Post by sinbin006 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:16 am

Gopher Blog wrote:
DmanDad1980 wrote:Gophers do not have big players coming in, but highly skilled offensive players that display better puck control than the current roster...
Kloos and Connor Reilly should be solid to good scorers in college. Maybe not right away but in time. Lucia was smart to spend wisely on forwards for the 2012 class because they knew the 2013 class had the potential to be special (and they were right as they landed their major targets for that class). If they spend too much on 2012, they would have had a tougher time landing the boatload of talent they got for 2013.

Skjei and Mike Reilly will be major additions next fall. I think people don't entirely realize how good they are. Reilly was at Shattuck (and now Penticton) so many locals aren't overly familiar with him since he didn't go through the usual MN HS route but he has a better PPG average in the BCHL that Laleggia at DU had the prior season (and Leleggia has been a stud at DU this year). Skjei is going to give them size and great speed from the blue line. Likely a 1st round pick this summer.

What might be an interesting idea would be to move Marshall up to forward for one season next year. Sort of play an Erik Westrum kind of role where he could play forward or defense. I say that because the team is going to be pretty deep on defense and maybe Marshall's dynamic offensive skills would be better suited at forward for next year's team. I guess we'll see.
FYI:

http://www.pentictonherald.ca/stories_l ... ?id=405138

Murray Chadwick

Post by Murray Chadwick » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:47 am

I see a recurring theme on here that Nate Schmidt has come into his own this year and improved a great deal from his freshman year and the hope seems to be that Marshall makes similar progress. However, there is a fundamental difference. Marshall has played in 35 of 37 games this year while Schmidt played in only 13 of 36 games last year. Of those 13 games played by Schmidt many were at forward. So, maybe Schmidt was this player all along and didn't get the opportunity under Hill that he is getting under Guentzel.