Hill-Murray vs. BSM 3/10 AA Championship

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who Wins?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:18 pm

Hill-Murray
33%
BSM
68%

Total votes: 40

hockeyhockeyhockey

Post by hockeyhockeyhockey » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:53 am

private hater Dads lets just cut to the chase...We get it you really want for your local community team where you played or your PEE wee kids play to make it to St. Paul more frequently. why? so you can have some pride, see some old friends, have some beers, brag it up a bit and enjoy that part of your life. All of that is actually very cool!!! ...I do agree that having private schools in the tourny do minimize in some sections your local communities chances of that (ie less appearances). but here is an idea, go anyway with your same buddies, rink rats, get the kids off school for the day, stay for the late games, get your traditions started and enjoy all the players in the state at the same time....its not ALL about you and your buddies and your bragging for your community.

puck81

Post by puck81 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:53 am

luckyEPDad wrote:
CB00 wrote:It will be interesting to see what the TV ratings and overall attendance of the tournament this year. I would think it's going to be down.

Not much interest in the final. :cry:
That is the problem with privates, no hometown = no hometown fans. The only kids dreaming of playing for HM or Benilde have brothers or sisters playing there. That the large metro schools don't blow all other competiton out of the water shows how poorly the youth/highschool connection is being managed. Youth players should be frothing at the mouth to play for their HS when the come of age. Current players and recent alums are the greatest ambassadors of the sport. Get them working with youth early at camps and get youth attending HS games on a regular basis. Sure, you'll still lose a few players to privates, but it will be a lot less.

The best way to fix the "private school poaching" problem is to fix your own HS and association.
"Private school poaching"? Andrew Alberts (Vancouver Canucks) was told in 9th grade by the EP "brass" that he would never make it in hockey so he went to Benilde for an "opportunity" to play somewhere else. Youth hockey association players are not the "property" of the government school monopilies. Your point on trying to convince these players to play at the local HS is valid but "poaching"? Please!!

BTW, how many roster spots are going to be available at Edina and EP the next few years since their varsity rosters had so few seniors on them?

luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:16 am

puck81 wrote:
luckyEPDad wrote:
CB00 wrote:It will be interesting to see what the TV ratings and overall attendance of the tournament this year. I would think it's going to be down.

That is the problem with privates, no hometown = no hometown fans. The only kids dreaming of playing for HM or Benilde have brothers or sisters playing there. That the large metro schools don't blow all other competiton out of the water shows how poorly the youth/highschool connection is being managed. Youth players should be frothing at the mouth to play for their HS when the come of age. Current players and recent alums are the greatest ambassadors of the sport. Get them working with youth early at camps and get youth attending HS games on a regular basis. Sure, you'll still lose a few players to privates, but it will be a lot less.

The best way to fix the "private school poaching" problem is to fix your own HS and association.
"Private school poaching"? Andrew Alberts (Vancouver Canucks) was told in 9th grade by the EP "brass" that he would never make it in hockey so he went to Benilde for an "opportunity" to play somewhere else. Youth hockey association players are not the "property" of the government school monopilies. Your point on trying to convince these players to play at the local HS is valid but "poaching"? Please!!

BTW, how many roster spots are going to be available at Edina and EP the next few years since their varsity rosters had so few seniors on them?
Do I misunderstand forum etiquette? Unless quoting from another post I thought putting a phrase in quotes was like using hand quotes and indicates irony or sarcasm. Oh well, as usually someone completely missied my point which is private schools don't steal players from public schools as much as public schools are losing them through their own mismanagement of the youth program.

Gems

Post by Gems » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:25 am

luckyEPDad wrote:
puck81 wrote:
luckyEPDad wrote:

Do I misunderstand forum etiquette? Unless quoting from another post I thought putting a phrase in quotes was like using hand quotes and indicates irony or sarcasm. Oh well, as usually someone completely missied my point which is private schools don't steal players from public schools as much as public schools are losing them through their own mismanagement of the youth program.
Agreed...

UntouchableFlow

Post by UntouchableFlow » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:32 am

Getting back to the game, after seeing BSM last night they are going to be very tough. Very complete team. If Quale plays a solid game they'll be even tougher to beat. One thing to take into consideration is that Dugas hasn't had to play a GREAT game yet this tournament, just play well. He's going to need to play a great game tonight to give the Pioneers a good chance. Hill can match BSM's speed, and physical contact. Benilde really needs to pick up their coverage in front of the net, if Schumacher wouldn't have let in those softies in the first period, and Lakeville could have capitalized, it would have been a much different game.

UntouchableFlow

Post by UntouchableFlow » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:36 am

Anybody else on this forum think that instead of targeting Hill-Murray and other private high schools, the parents in the youth association should target their own high school coaches? Big associations cannot get their own players to play high school for them because the coaches don't have good track records of success, even when they do get talent. What is the motivation to play a school with a bad high school coach? Kids that go to Benilde and Hill know that they will play for great coaches and be part of a tradition.

Heard an interesting stat on another thread, only 7 of the last 38 state champions have been a private school.

Also, for those complaining about Hill and Benilde being in the final, let's all remember that they took out seeded PUBLIC school teams in the first round and Hill had as close of a game as you can get in the semi-finals. Take your sour grapes somewhere else, because these two teams both deserve to be playing tonight in the state final.

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:42 am

Hey Flow, I watched the first peiod replay this morning and kind of thought the same thing. South would have had to have things really break their way to win but the first half of the first period it easily could have been 1-0 or 2-0 south. No rose colored glasses here..its hard to imagine the onslaught would have never come but what happend after it went 3-0 was unfortunate.
Benilde should win but I'm pulling for Hill, man that wasn't easy to spit out! Good luck to both teams they earned the right to be there.

zamboni14

Post by zamboni14 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:46 am

luckyEPDad wrote:That is the problem with privates, no hometown = no hometown fans. The only kids dreaming of playing for HM or Benilde have brothers or sisters playing there. That the large metro schools don't blow all other competiton out of the water shows how poorly the youth/highschool connection is being managed. Youth players should be frothing at the mouth to play for their HS when the come of age. Current players and recent alums are the greatest ambassadors of the sport. Get them working with youth early at camps and get youth attending HS games on a regular basis. Sure, you'll still lose a few players to privates, but it will be a lot less.

you are leaving out a key group... alumni. Private schools have alumni that have kids that end up going to their former private high school. You think parents who went to these private schools don't play into this at all?

With that in mind, if these kids play in the local youth program while attending private school... who poached who? I know many kids that couldn't wait to play for BSM, yet ended up going to their local public high school and playing for that team (and those were easily the best players on that public schools roster.)

And believe it or not, but some public schools don't center their existence around the athletics program... so their youth program isn't nearly as strong either. And they are "ok" with that... so those kids go to other programs where it is more of a central element.

Personally, if my kid has a lot of talent in anything and the local schools don't focus on that area... you can bet my kid will be transferring schools to help them develop that talent/skill.

zamboni14

Post by zamboni14 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:50 am

ok... the game...

Hill is going to come out playing as physical as possible to slow BSM down. Edina did this in their game against BSM and it was a close game (I would even say that Edina had control most of the game.)

If Hill doesn't play physical, they can't skate with BSM.

I'm picking BSM 4-2 (EN)

Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:50 am

puck81 wrote:
luckyEPDad wrote:

At Edina that was because Giles cut most of the seniors since the underclass were better (Malmquist, Hurley, etc).
I can splash in the rink puddles!

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:53 am

puck81 wrote:
luckyEPDad wrote:

Beautiful. Couldn't have been put any better.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:56 am

puck81 wrote:
luckyEPDad wrote:

Turned out to be a pretty good decision for Alberts. Great hockey player. That 99 Benilde team with Alberts, the Riddle bros, Irwin, Schumann and company could have competed with the top 5 AA teams that year. (Roseau, Hastings, Elk River, Blaine, Holy Angels)

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:59 am

UntouchableFlow wrote:Getting back to the game, after seeing BSM last night they are going to be very tough. Very complete team. If Quale plays a solid game they'll be even tougher to beat. One thing to take into consideration is that Dugas hasn't had to play a GREAT game yet this tournament, just play well. He's going to need to play a great game tonight to give the Pioneers a good chance. Hill can match BSM's speed, and physical contact. Benilde really needs to pick up their coverage in front of the net, if Schumacher wouldn't have let in those softies in the first period, and Lakeville could have capitalized, it would have been a much different game.
What impressed (and surprised) me about Hill was the open ice hits they delivered against MG and Moorhead...the Heinrich kid can really bring it. We are all very sensitive about the concussion epidemic (and rightfully so)...but if you play with your head down in open ice...look out..and that is an aspect of physical hockey that shouldn't go away.

BSM is simply on a roll...playing fast, explosive hockey...some speedster forwards who can finish...really like #27...also12, 21, 23 are playiing very well and #8 really controls play from the blueline. (he and #14 for Edina are really impressive young D.

In the end...goaltending will likely be the tipping factor (as it always is with evenly matched teams). The BSM goalie was hot against Edina and Hill's goalie has also played well.

I'm predicting BSM 4-3.

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:11 pm

There you have it, " Personally, if my kid has a lot of talent in anything and the local schools don't focus on that area... you can bet my kid will be transferring schools to help them develop that talent/skill."

The high School season lasts roughly 3 months, Kids now play year around. Most of the development takes place outside this time frame when the coaches can't even be on the ice with the team. Lets not confuse development with exposure or winning. No bashing here but good coaches develop good TEAMS...ie Lechner, Randolph, Ikola, etc.. Not all good coaches are lucky enough to have good players.
There is far to little time during the season for emphasis on individual development. No crime in wanting to win but I know for a fact that the coach at Minnehaha Academy is outstanding, you don't see a bunch of studs beating their door down to get in there do you! The tradition at Hill attracts kids and Benilde is now headed in that direction. Not a thing wrong with it but why are people so afraid to admit they just would like to win.
There is another big dynamic at work here that no one taks about, I've played, coached and watched hockey for 45 years and the landscape has changed dramatically. Its become a game of the privaleged so should we be at all surprised that a greater percentage of its best players end up in private education?
The Mike Ramseys and Reed Larsons are a thing of the past, there are no more city rink rats.....hell, there are no more city rinks. It only takes a little introspection to get a bit of an idea what is happening, Its a monster of our own creation. To complain about it seems foolish.
Anyway...GO HILL!

UntouchableFlow

Post by UntouchableFlow » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:18 pm

Hill also needs to really lock down and not allowing any odd man rushes. This Benilde team is one of the fastest teams that I've seen at the High School level. They need to set a physical tempo for the game, but they can't afford to go for an open ice hit, miss, and give up an odd man rush. Their defensive scheme needs to be conservative: no pinching, and safe defensive choices.

zamboni14

Post by zamboni14 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:18 pm

keepyourheadup wrote:There you have it, " Personally, if my kid has a lot of talent in anything and the local schools don't focus on that area... you can bet my kid will be transferring schools to help them develop that talent/skill."

The high School season lasts roughly 3 months, Kids now play year around. Most of the development takes place outside this time frame when the coaches can't even be on the ice with the team. Lets not confuse development with exposure or winning. No bashing here but good coaches develop good TEAMS...ie Lechner, Randolph, Ikola, etc.. Not all good coaches are lucky enough to have good players.
There is far to little time during the season for emphasis on individual development. No crime in wanting to win but I know for a fact that the coach at Minnehaha Academy is outstanding, you don't see a bunch of studs beating their door down to get in there do you! The tradition at Hill attracts kids and Benilde is now headed in that direction. Not a thing wrong with it but why are people so afraid to admit they just would like to win.
There is another big dynamic at work here that no one taks about, I've played, coached and watched hockey for 45 years and the landscape has changed dramatically. Its become a game of the privaleged so should we be at all surprised that a greater percentage of its best players end up in private education?
The Mike Ramseys and Reed Larsons are a thing of the past, there are no more city rink rats.....hell, there are no more city rinks. It only takes a little introspection to get a bit of an idea what is happening, Its a monster of our own creation. To complain about it seems foolish.
Anyway...GO HILL!
I wasn't even saying that I'd put my kid into a private school. I live in Plymouth, right near the boarders of Hopkins, Armstrong, Cooper and Wayzata. If my kid was really good at football... which program do you think I'd put him in? If my kid was really good at basketball, which program do you think I'd put them in?

UntouchableFlow

Post by UntouchableFlow » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:31 pm

keepyourheadup wrote:There you have it, " Personally, if my kid has a lot of talent in anything and the local schools don't focus on that area... you can bet my kid will be transferring schools to help them develop that talent/skill."

Anyway...GO HILL!
Which brings into consideration a point that I've tried to make several times. The youth association is not what "develops" youth players. The kids develop in the 9 months of the off season by doing camps and other AAA programs. The youth coaches are responsible for very little of a players development. Aside from all of the very basic concepts that any coach could teach.

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:33 pm

Exactly, and if your kid is good at hockey...which almost always now days means the family has the financial where with all, where do yo go...aint gonna be the team with a great coach and a record of 5-25 is it.

zamboni14

Post by zamboni14 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:41 pm

UntouchableFlow wrote:

Anyway...GO HILL!
Which brings into consideration a point that I've tried to make several times. The youth association is not what "develops" youth players. The kids develop in the 9 months of the off season by doing camps and other AAA programs. The youth coaches are responsible for very little of a players development. Aside from all of the very basic concepts that any coach could teach.
to a degree I agree... camps and AAA does help the "top tier" players across the state, but I think local coaches still have a bigger impact. Take 'Tonka for example... Urick controls what is being coached/taught at the youth levels (much like Sats did with Jefferson) and look at how good 'Tonka has been.

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:52 pm

Great example, they keep their kids, for the most part so does Burnsville and Eagan as well but they all have one thing in common...they are WINNING programs. At or near the top their conference every year. These coaches..ie Urich..are teaching systems just like sats did and Ikola before him. A certain syle of play, the individual skills are being learned the other nine months.

zamboni14

Post by zamboni14 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:55 pm

keepyourheadup wrote:Great example, they keep their kids, for the most part so does Burnsville and Eagan as well but they all have one thing in common...they are WINNING programs. At or near the top their conference every year. These coaches..ie Urich..are teaching systems just like sats did and Ikola before him. A certain syle of play, the individual skills are being learned the other nine months.
exactly... they teach a system, while individual skills are almost always learned away from the game (be it in AAA, camps or at the local park.) Because of this, they win... and because they win and show that they "care" about every level, kids/parents stay in the program. When you are in a program/team that doesn't "care" to develop good teams... why would you want your kid to stick around?

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:07 pm

They have youth programs with numbers, produces more good players. Did sats forget how to coach at the end of his run? nope, the heart and soul of his pipeline bailed and went to AHA. At the same time Kennedy is still producing good players at the youth level and they start heading to Jefferson...In my opinion, to win. Its one of those things people just hate to admit...losing sucks and the the high school experience is greatly enhanced when you go 25-3 and not 6-19. The best coach in the world can't do much if he hasn't got any tools to work with. I just feel that knowing you are going to win and likely play in state every year is a big part of the answer to the public private debate.

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:11 pm

Sorry all, way off topic and i'll stop here.

GO HILL, be physical

zamboni14

Post by zamboni14 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:22 pm

keepyourheadup wrote:They have youth programs with numbers, produces more good players. Did sats forget how to coach at the end of his run? nope, the heart and soul of his pipeline bailed and went to AHA. At the same time Kennedy is still producing good players at the youth level and they start heading to Jefferson...In my opinion, to win. Its one of those things people just hate to admit...losing sucks and the the high school experience is greatly enhanced when you go 25-3 and not 6-19. The best coach in the world can't do much if he hasn't got any tools to work with. I just feel that knowing you are going to win and likely play in state every year is a big part of the answer to the public private debate.
I think the public vs private debate goes deeper than that though. Even though some of the kids might do better on the ice at a private school, they might suffer academically. So they go to a different public school (prime example would be Kennedy and how the best players usually ended up in Jefferson.)

As for Tom not being able to dominate any more.. I think several factors go into that. Transfer rules started to be looked at closer (I know that in '94 their goalie was actually from 'Tonka, then his family had to move to Colorado while he was still in grade school.. then he moved in with his aunt in Bloomington so he could play HS hockey in MN.) The rise of EP (they were poached all the time) and other teams started to copy what Tom did (just like teams/programs were copying what Ikola was doing in Edina.)

Of course it doesn't hurt to have a large pool of kids either. But even with a larger pool, you still need a coach who knows what he's doing (example... Maple Grove, there is a reason why they can't "get over the hump" and be a dominating team.)

zamboni14

Post by zamboni14 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:23 pm

keepyourheadup wrote:Sorry all, way off topic and i'll stop here.

GO HILL, be physical
yeah we did :lol:

GO BSM!