Well. Three out of Four in the Finals are Privates ...

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

passthepuck2me

Public Outcry

Post by passthepuck2me » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:17 am

north_bear wrote:^^^ Agreed. Great post, well said snap shot.
I'm reading this private school topic and laughing at all the assumptions about private schools. You would all believe that there is a secret underground order of private schools meeting to gather the best hockey players under their own school like the Indiana Jones Temple of Doom movie. I think you all forget about the "recruiting" stories coming from public schools - but that doesn't happen right? C'mon. There are kids playing on the fringe of the rules today open enrolling in public schools or pretending they've moved into school districts to play at contending schools. Keep your head in the sand and pretend most competitive public schools don't turn a blind eye on their own program's recruiting. LOL

SECBLUES

Post by SECBLUES » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:32 am

I was at the game last night, and Hill was definately the better team in the end. I heard an interesting tidbot from an older gentleman I sat next to.

I was told that two of Hills players are from Wisconsin. One from Hudson, and one from River Falls. In my opinion, if this is true, they are no different than Shattuks.

does anyone know of this and or agree?

thorhockey

Post by thorhockey » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:32 am

Sparlimb wrote
There is no competitve unbalance
You have to be kidding me. Privates water down and ruin the spirit of this tournament. nuf said.

urban iceman

Re: Well let me see....

Post by urban iceman » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:42 am

Snap Shot wrote:Let me get this straight.

I get to start a "hockey school."

I can choose from the best players in the city/region that I want to play for me.

Those player do not have restrictions on where they live...in fact they don't even have to live in my school’s "district."

I can recruit them...and basically decide who's on my team.

Sign me up. Why am I not winning state every year?

Don't get me wrong. I love the Benilde story (this year) and Ken Pauley is a great coach.

But why do we still operate under the illusion that MN hockey is realistically equitable? Benilde, Breck, STA, HM. etc might as well be juinor programs that recruit.

Make whatever case you want. It's stupid, unfair, unhealthy, and it's not the best model for MN HS hockey. If you want to go to private school, eligibility rule should start in 7th grade or earlier.

"Districts" should be established for private schools juts like pubic schools, or your kid doesn't play sports there. Want your kid to attend private school for a great education? Great but he/she can't play sports unless you're in the district. Want your kid to be an all star or pro hockey player but go to private school? Awesome. Send them to juniors early. Good on ya mate.

Also, if you kid leaves early from public school ala Literri or Nanne...good for you, but you get to pay for the year you wasted on the coaches and the rest of your teammates.

Make a commitment to a community and stay there.

MN HS hockey is good enough that If your kid is good enough he/she will make it just like the Brotens, Ramseys, Cullens of the world.

The "Private School" hockey concept is really a farce, and it's not good for Minnesota hockey overall.
You are saying what most are thinking! No rebuttal can stand up to it.

Northhcky

Post by Northhcky » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:45 am

defense wrote:I would be embarrassed if I was from hermantown... and mad, just win the stupid game.

Far as aa goes,call me what u will but I lost a lot of interest for the championship game, dangit Moorhead....just win the stupid game.
Be embarrassed and mad about what? Bruce is one of the most successful and well liked coaches in the state. Maybe more coaches should be like him. He loves the kids and they love him and he has fun with the the kids and he wants them to have fun. Thats why he's retired from teaching and still coaching. He feels his players are just kids so have fun with this like they should. After all it's just a game. In the whole scheme of things these hockey games are not life changing events win or lose!

stpaul

HM

Post by stpaul » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:12 am

SECBLUES wrote:I was at the game last night, and Hill was definately the better team in the end. I heard an interesting tidbot from an older gentleman I sat next to.

I was told that two of Hills players are from Wisconsin. One from Hudson, and one from River Falls. In my opinion, if this is true, they are no different than Shattuks.

It's 14 miles from Hudson to Hill-Murray. HM gets students from across the river. If you live in Somerset, River Falls or Hudson, it is the closest private and catholic school.

Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:19 am

urban iceman wrote:
Snap Shot wrote:Let me get this straight.

I get to start a "hockey school."

I can choose from the best players in the city/region that I want to play for me.

Those player do not have restrictions on where they live...in fact they don't even have to live in my school’s "district."

I can recruit them...and basically decide who's on my team.

Sign me up. Why am I not winning state every year?

Don't get me wrong. I love the Benilde story (this year) and Ken Pauley is a great coach.

But why do we still operate under the illusion that MN hockey is realistically equitable? Benilde, Breck, STA, HM. etc might as well be juinor programs that recruit.

Make whatever case you want. It's stupid, unfair, unhealthy, and it's not the best model for MN HS hockey. If you want to go to private school, eligibility rule should start in 7th grade or earlier.

"Districts" should be established for private schools juts like pubic schools, or your kid doesn't play sports there. Want your kid to attend private school for a great education? Great but he/she can't play sports unless you're in the district. Want your kid to be an all star or pro hockey player but go to private school? Awesome. Send them to juniors early. Good on ya mate.

Also, if you kid leaves early from public school ala Literri or Nanne...good for you, but you get to pay for the year you wasted on the coaches and the rest of your teammates.

Make a commitment to a community and stay there.

MN HS hockey is good enough that If your kid is good enough he/she will make it just like the Brotens, Ramseys, Cullens of the world.

The "Private School" hockey concept is really a farce, and it's not good for Minnesota hockey overall.
You are saying what most are thinking! No rebuttal can stand up to it.
'83 Hill, '91 Hill, '02 and '05 AHA, and '08 Hill are the only privates to have won a AA title since 1980. This is also only the second all-private AA final.
I can splash in the rink puddles!

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:28 am

Here is a thought. Since we all know the "A" tourney is a joke, maybe we don't let schools opt up. That way these small privates have to play in the joke tourney, and maybe make it more interesting. :idea:

stpaul

Post by stpaul » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:13 am

"No rebuttal can stand up to it." I'll try anyway.
Snap Shot wrote:I get to start a "hockey school."
Hill-Murray and Benilde-St.Margaret's are not "hockey schools". Both have been around for more than 50 years. Thousands of alumni, families and current students go there for reasons other than hockey. They are also academic schools, drama schools, music schools, religious schools, service schools, football, basketball and girls sports schools.
Snap Shot wrote:I can choose from the best players in the city/region that I want to play for me.

"I" don't get to "choose" anybody. They have to choose me and pay me about $12,000 per year when the other option is a free, taxpayer paid for school. Many of these free schools are quite good, have great facilities, great hockey teams and coaches. A hockey player can pick one any one of them through open enrollment. They don't have to live in that district. No cost for that either. Our friends, the taxpayers, got it for them.
Snap Shot wrote:I can...basically decide who's on my team.
Well, as long as they enroll at my school, pay $12,000 per year tuition, are willing to wear a uniform every day, start at 7:30am with a nasty tardy policy, handle tougher academics and do more homework, take religion classes, go to Catholic masses and retreats and do required community services projects. That's all. Oh yeah, we have a tougher alcohol and drug policy and will boot you off the team instead of a 2 week suspension, even if it means top players and giving up a state title chance.

Snap Shot wrote:If you want to go to private school, eligibility rule should start in 7th grade or earlier.

Send them to juniors early.

Also, if you kid leaves early from public school...you get to pay for the year...
Really? What other restrictions on freedom would you like to impose?
Snap Shot wrote:Make a commitment to a community and stay there.
A community and a high school are not the same thing. Also in our American free society, I don't have to make a pledge to either one and "stay there".
Snap Shot wrote:MN HS hockey is good enough...that If your kid is good enough he/she will make it just like the Broten, Ramseys, Cullens of the world.
Private schools have been a part of MN HS hockey for 70 years and the MSHSL and state tournaments for almost 40. How about adding the Craig Johnsons, Blake Wheelers and other great college and NHL players that came from MN private schools to that list.
Last edited by stpaul on Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

defense

Post by defense » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:56 am

Northhcky wrote:
defense wrote:I would be embarrassed if I was from hermantown... and mad, just win the stupid game.

Far as aa goes,call me what u will but I lost a lot of interest for the championship game, dangit Moorhead....just win the stupid game.
Be embarrassed and mad about what? Bruce is one of the most successful and well liked coaches in the state. Maybe more coaches should be like him. He loves the kids and they love him and he has fun with the the kids and he wants them to have fun. Thats why he's retired from teaching and still coaching. He feels his players are just kids so have fun with this like they should. After all it's just a game. In the whole scheme of things these hockey games are not life changing events win or lose!
Embarrassed because the high profile coach representing my town just lowered himself to complaining about something he cannot control. Role model?
Mad because he just publicly gave his team an excuse to lose a game that hasn't been played and that his team has a very good chance at winning.

Then, I'm not from hermantown.
just win the stupid game!

stpaul

Post by stpaul » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:58 am

Nostalgic Nerd wrote:'83 Hill, '91 Hill, '02 and '05 AHA, and '08 Hill are the only privates to have won a AA title since 1980. This is also only the second all-private AA final.
Not to be picky, but you left out 2006 Cretin-DH. Still 7 state titles in 38 years (counting this year) is not exactly dominance.

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:01 am

Sparlimb wrote:There is no competitive unbalance, just a lot of bitter folks mad their team isn't playing for a final.
=D>

8)
The Puck
LGW

hockeyhockeyhockey

Post by hockeyhockeyhockey » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:03 am

BodyShots wrote:Here is a thought. Since we all know the "A" tourney is a joke, maybe we don't let schools opt up. That way these small privates have to play in the joke tourney, and maybe make it more interesting. :idea:
no Roseau fans would still cry too much

Northhcky

Post by Northhcky » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:12 am

defense wrote:
Northhcky wrote:

Embarrassed because the high profile coach representing my town just lowered himself to complaining about something he cannot control. Role model?
Mad because he just publicly gave his team an excuse to lose a game that hasn't been played and that his team has a very good chance at winning.

Well you have the right to your opinion about what he said and i respect that. But...he only stated facts. They are the public school state champs and it is not a level playing field. Not just for Hermantown but for all public schools. He wasn't complaining just stating a fact. See nothing wrong with what he said at all. And i think reading the posts about that subject on here lately most ppl agree with him. An excuse to lose? You don't know him. There will be no excuses. He will say the better team won is all. He's a much bigger person than to look for excuses. As far as his comments about the kids sitting there. You have to know Bruce. Thats him having fun with the kids and thats how he feels. First and foremost everyone have fun. Its just a game not a life changing event.
Last edited by Northhcky on Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

FREDFLINTSTONE

Post by FREDFLINTSTONE » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:14 am

Well atleast the Gophs are on tonight so I can watch a game that I care about. :lol:

hockeyhockeyhockey

Post by hockeyhockeyhockey » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:16 am

Northhcky wrote:
defense wrote:
Northhcky wrote:

Well you have the right to your opinion about what he said and i respect that. But...he only stated facts. They are the public school state champs and it is not a level playing field. Not just for Hermantown but for all public schools. See nothing wrong with what he said at all. And i think reading the posts about that subject on here lately most ppl agree with him. As far as his comments about the kids sitting there. You have to know Bruce. Thats him having fun with the kids and thats how he feels. First and foremost everyone have fun. Its just a game not a life changing event.
not true .... does he not realize that St Thomas and Breck beat some public schools along the way?????? hmmm this guy is a real BOZO.,....

public school champs...NOT

thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:23 am

Northhcky wrote:Well you have the right to your opinion about what he said and i respect that. But...he only stated facts. They are the public school state champs and it is not a level playing field. Not just for Hermantown but for all public schools. He wasn't complaining just stating a fact. See nothing wrong with what he said at all. And i think reading the posts about that subject on here lately most ppl agree with him. An excuse to lose? You don't know him. There will be no excuses. He will say the better team won is all. He's a much bigger person than to look for excuses. As far as his comments about the kids sitting there. You have to know Bruce. Thats him having fun with the kids and thats how he feels. First and foremost everyone have fun. Its just a game not a life changing event.
He didn't "only state" facts, there is no "public school state championship". :roll:

He WAS complaining, its a joke to say he wasn't, stop being fanboys for the northern publics and call a spade a spade. He basically laid out an excuse in case Hermantown loses, period. He even offered the "we're already winners" line more or less. Its stunning. If I were a Hermantown player how could you not feel disrespected? Your coach can't even publicly go to bat for you at a press conference without hedging his bets. SMH sometimes...
Last edited by thestickler07 on Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Northhcky

Post by Northhcky » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:23 am

hockeyhockeyhockey wrote:
Northhcky wrote:
defense wrote:
Northhcky wrote:

Well you have the right to your opinion about what he said and i respect that. But...he only stated facts. They are the public school state champs and it is not a level playing field. Not just for Hermantown but for all public schools. See nothing wrong with what he said at all. And i think reading the posts about that subject on here lately most ppl agree with him. As far as his comments about the kids sitting there. You have to know Bruce. Thats him having fun with the kids and thats how he feels. First and foremost everyone have fun. Its just a game not a life changing event.
not true .... does he not realize that St Thomas and Breck beat some public schools along the way?????? hmmm this guy is a real BOZO.,....

public school champs...NOT
Well Breck and ST Thomas got beat a few times this year too. Would that not make them State Champs if they won? What about in AA? There are no undefeated teams playing for the AA title. So then under your reasoning whoever wins would not be the state champs either then. Whoever beat them would be. Oh and by the way Hermantown did beat all of the public school teams in the tourney either in the regular season and/or the tourney except New Ulm who they didn't play. And beat Duluth Marshall.
Whos the real BOZO here? LOL

zamboni14

Post by zamboni14 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:12 pm

SECBLUES wrote:I was at the game last night, and Hill was definately the better team in the end. I heard an interesting tidbot from an older gentleman I sat next to.

while I was at 'Tonka they had a starting goalie from Mound, a forward from Finland, a D-man from Canada and another forward from Osseo. Before that, I know they had 2 starting goalies from EP.

but public schools don't recruit :roll:

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:03 pm

zamboni14 wrote:

while I was at 'Tonka they had a starting goalie from Mound, a forward from Finland, a D-man from Canada and another forward from Osseo. Before that, I know they had 2 starting goalies from EP.

You're not listening though. It's okay because they play AA :lol:

pioneer83

Post by pioneer83 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:03 pm

Northhcky wrote:
defense wrote:
Northhcky wrote:

Well you have the right to your opinion about what he said and i respect that. But...he only stated facts. They are the public school state champs and it is not a level playing field. Not just for Hermantown but for all public schools. He wasn't complaining just stating a fact. See nothing wrong with what he said at all. And i think reading the posts about that subject on here lately most ppl agree with him. An excuse to lose? You don't know him. There will be no excuses. He will say the better team won is all. He's a much bigger person than to look for excuses. As far as his comments about the kids sitting there. You have to know Bruce. Thats him having fun with the kids and thats how he feels. First and foremost everyone have fun. Its just a game not a life changing event.

Sorry I have to jump in on this one...

He has already given them an excuse to loose. If Hermantown looses (and that is no sure thing) it is because the playing field wasn't level. He has pretty much said that they would beat ANY class A public school today and only a private team with an unfair advantage can beat them. I do not know the coach and do not believe he will do anything but give STA credit if they win, however he has already given the "excuse."

Look at AA, what was Moorhead's advantage over Eagan? LS's over DE? Easy, they played better ON THAT DAY. Moorhead spent most of their game one shot away from the title game- that is the risk of being too defensive.

You are not the champs until you win the final game no matter who you play against.

Ogie

Post by Ogie » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:15 pm

pioneer83 wrote:

He has already given them an excuse to loose. If Hermantown looses (and that is no sure thing) it is because the playing field wasn't level. He has pretty much said that they would beat ANY class A public school today and only a private team with an unfair advantage can beat them. I do not know the coach and do not believe he will do anything but give STA credit if they win, however he has already given the "excuse."

Look at AA, what was Moorhead's advantage over Eagan? LS's over DE? Easy, they played better ON THAT DAY. Moorhead spent most of their game one shot away from the title game- that is the risk of being too defensive.

You are not the champs until you win the final game no matter who you play against.
The private v. government school stuff notwithstanding, he was also making a commentary on the available population base, of which schools like Hermantown have precious little to draw from when compared to schools like Breck and St. Thomas....And he's right.

Add to the fact that St. Thomas has an all-male student body and they have a tremendous advantage, in terms of the in-school pool of potential players, even when stacked up against the likes of HM and Breck.

pioneer83

Post by pioneer83 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:28 pm

Melvin wrote:
pioneer83 wrote:

The private v. government school stuff notwithstanding, he was also making a commentary on the available population base, of which schools like Hermantown have precious little to draw from when compared to schools like Breck and St. Thomas....And he's right.

Add to the fact that St. Thomas has an all-male student body and they have a tremendous advantage, in terms of the in-school pool of potential players, even when stacked up against the likes of HM and Breck.

And that I will not dispute, the potential talent pool of (most) metro schools vastly outstrips that of (most) outstate schools. HM, BSM, STA all are A sized school with a AA population around them. That is simply a matter of location. Eagan has a much bigger potential pool than Moorhead and STA over Cathedral. For better or worse enrollment is what divides the classes and I am not aware of any school that limits its enrollment to stay in AA.

My issue is with saying he is already the public school champion.

Unfortunately for the Hawks it looks like the coach will be saying what a great team STA has and how they played a great game.

Truth be told I am private biased, if my login didn't give it away :D , but I think STA should move up too.

zamboni14

Post by zamboni14 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:30 pm

HShockeywatcher wrote:
zamboni14 wrote:

I agree with that... in AA, I don't mind if a private school wins consistently. Heck I'd love to see SSM play the dominate public schools as well. I think it would open more than a few eyes in terms of our hockey ability (I honestly think that SSM wouldn't dominate, but would still be a good team.)

pioneer83

Post by pioneer83 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:33 pm

zamboni14 wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:
zamboni14 wrote:

I agree with that... in AA, I don't mind if a private school wins consistently. Heck I'd love to see SSM play the dominate public schools as well. I think it would open more than a few eyes in terms of our hockey ability (I honestly think that SSM wouldn't dominate, but would still be a good team.)

Bring them in, and loosen the rules so MN teams can travel more. Show the country who has the best hockey.