Saint Thomas Academy

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Irish

Saint Thomas Academy

Post by Irish »

I was at the X the past couple days. I keep hearing people ask the question. When will STA make the move to class AA?

I'm watching the game today on TV and the announcer says the STA kids are chanting "Always second place" to the Hermantown fans.

Really? :oops:
sparty

Post by sparty »

Classy.
Irishhockey007

Post by Irishhockey007 »

maybe if the hermantown boys worked a little harder in the off season and didn't play such a weak schedule they would be able to compete?
WayOutWest

Re: Saint Thomas Academy

Post by WayOutWest »

Irish wrote:I was at the X the past couple days. I keep hearing people ask the question. When will STA make the move to class AA?

I'm watching the game today on TV and the announcer says the STA kids are chanting "Always second place" to the Hermantown fans.

They are high school kids. No, it's not the most sensitive thing to chant, but you have to put it into perspective.
That being said, I do think it is high time STA moves up. The playing field between private and public schools is not level.
hockeyhockeyhockey

Post by hockeyhockeyhockey »

Irish wrote:I was at the X the past couple days. I keep hearing people ask the question. When will STA make the move to class AA?

they should have chanted PUBLIC SCHOOL CHAMPS...as their head coach proclaimed yesterday..
kpryan88

Post by kpryan88 »

hockeyhockeyhockey wrote:

they should have chanted PUBLIC SCHOOL CHAMPS...as their head coach proclaimed yesterday..
Hermantown fans should have chanted "Tro-phy Chas-ers" because that's what STA is...
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

STA admin sucks!! Sack up!!
ssppuck

Post by ssppuck »

Lets Hope they move up to AA. That would have made that tournement that much better.
WB6162

Post by WB6162 »

ssppuck wrote:Lets Hope they move up to AA. That would have made that tournement that much better.
Definitely agree.

The best way to handle it is to give the private schools their own section and allow only one of them in the State Tourney on the AA side.

The A tourney should be used for SMALL TOWNS, not small schools in the metro area.
LetsPlayHockey22

Post by LetsPlayHockey22 »

Irishhockey007 wrote:maybe if the hermantown boys worked a little harder in the off season and didn't play such a weak schedule they would be able to compete?
Kind of an ignorant comment, don't you think? STA is a metro team capable of playing good AA teams, Hermantown is a suburb of the Duluth area and plays teams within traveling distance. Not everyone wants to travel as much as East does to play the states toughest schedule. Hermantown may draw from a talented area, but they are still a small town with an enrollment of around 600 students and have pride in representing their small community at the state tournament. Three years in a row they have lost to private schools that could be very competitive with the AA schools, and although it's life, it must not seem very fair for the Hawks. They play a pretty average schedule during the season with a few tough opponents each year, but prove themselves at state making it to the finals, only to lose to a team with players who would be very solid players at their respective schools, which in many cases the players come from associations where the high school team is good. A lot can be argued, but STA has the option of not opting up, whether they should or not, but Hermantown is a perfect example of a small town school with homegrown talent, STA the opposite.