Now we can go back to hating all private

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

toivo22

Now we can go back to hating all private

Post by toivo22 »

Now that the emotional story of BSM is over we can all go back to hating private schools and there recruiting ways
Ogie

Post by Ogie »

easton18

Post by easton18 »

Not going to let the Red Knights enjoy the victory at all? Besides, what do you want from Benilde? They won 2 class A titles, then moved up, and 10 years later here they are with a AA title. Let's all take the night off from bashing private schools and let them enjoy the moment.
Orty

Re: Now we can go back to hating all private

Post by Orty »

toivo22 wrote:Now that the emotional story of BSM is over we can all go back to hating private schools and there recruiting ways
Sorry. Based on the posts from other topics, I don't think it ever stopped.

Orty
toivo22

Post by toivo22 »

easton18 wrote:Not going to let the Red Knights enjoy the victory at all? Besides, what do you want from Benilde? They won 2 class A titles, then moved up, and 10 years later here they are with a AA title. Let's all take the night off from bashing private schools and let them enjoy the moment.
I commend BSM for moving up!!
toivo22

Post by toivo22 »

Melvin wrote:Image
that is actually really funny :lol:
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Private teams are here to stay do not rip on them at all.
send your kid to play Juniors get the hell out of MSHSL league.
toivo22

Post by toivo22 »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:Private teams are here to stay do not rip on them at all.
I have no problem with private schools just let the rest of the teams recruit like they can. The restrictions on a public school is to there district a private shool can recruit from the entire city. Give them district guidelines and it wouldn't be so bad
mnhockey30

Post by mnhockey30 »

easton18 wrote:Not going to let the Red Knights enjoy the victory at all? Besides, what do you want from Benilde? They won 2 class A titles, then moved up, and 10 years later here they are with a AA title. Let's all take the night off from bashing private schools and let them enjoy the moment.
They also have a 3rd place trophy in 2008
Ogie

Post by Ogie »

toivo22 wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote:Private teams are here to stay do not rip on them at all.
I have no problem with private schools just let the rest of the teams recruit like they can. The restrictions on a public school is to there district a private shool can recruit from the entire city. Give them district guidelines and it wouldn't be so bad
The way I hear it told, there's open enrollment.

IOW, if you live near Hopkins but would rather go to Edina, there's nothing stopping you.

Am I right or wrong on this one?

Anyone?

Beuller?
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

toivo22 wrote:
Boycott MSHSL. That is the source of the problem. Better development elsewhere. State tournament is pure window dressing, an illusion, a myth.
toivo22

Post by toivo22 »

Melvin wrote:
toivo22 wrote:

IOW, if you live near Hopkins but would rather go to Edina, there's nothing stopping you.

Anyone?

Beuller?

The open enrollment has to do with district lines, and those are drawn in pen so if you live in the Hopkins district and you want to go play hockey for Edina you have to play on jv for one year if you are 10th grade or over. If you are a private school in st Paul you can draw from the entire town of st Paul even though there might be 7 public school districts in the city. Plus, they can recruit and give scholarships. Open enrollment was created for academics, not athletics.
easton18

Post by easton18 »

mnhockey30 wrote:
They also have a 3rd place trophy in 2008
Thanks for pointing that out, I knew there was another time they had been there and finished either 3rd or 4th, but couldn't recall off the top of my head.
pioneer83

Post by pioneer83 »

toivo22 wrote:
So if a kid lives in Mpls but wants to play for Minnetonka, err I mean Benilde would he have to fill out the non-resident district application?
Ogie

Post by Ogie »

toivo22 wrote:
Melvin wrote:
toivo22 wrote: I have no problem with private schools just let the rest of the teams recruit like they can. The restrictions on a public school is to there district a private shool can recruit from the entire city. Give them district guidelines and it wouldn't be so bad

Anyone?

Beuller?

The open enrollment has to do with district lines, and those are drawn in pen so if you live in the Hopkins district and you want to go play hockey for Edina you have to play on jv for one year if you are 10th grade or over. If you are a private school in st Paul you can draw from the entire town of st Paul even though there might be 7 public school districts in the city. Plus, they can recruit and give scholarships. Open enrollment was created for academics, not athletics.
Thank you for filling me in.

Given that scenario, it's also arguable that a good hockey player from, saaaay, the Washburn or Southwest district might also want to attend Edina, because they beat the hell out of MPS, academically speaking.

True?