Historic win. A state tourney first.

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

sparty

Historic win. A state tourney first.

Post by sparty »

Benilde is the first school to win a Class A championship (1999, 2001) and later win a Class AA championship. No school has ever accomplished this in state high school hockey history. Congrats to them!

I see Benilde's win tonight as a challenge to STA and Breck. Benilde made the jump awhile back and a decade later showed it can be done.

In the latest Let's Play Hockey, this debate is going on in Warroad (Class A 1994, 1996, 2003, 2005) too. Make the jump or not?

Whatever your thoughts...respect to BSM.
warriors41

Re: Historic win. A state tourney first.

Post by warriors41 »

sparty wrote:Benilde is the first school to win a Class A championship (1999, 2001) and later win a Class AA championship. No school has ever accomplished this in state high school hockey history. Congrats to them!

I see Benilde's win tonight as a challenge to STA and Breck. Benilde made the jump awhile back and a decade later showed it can be done.

In the latest Let's Play Hockey, this debate is going on in Warroad (Class A 1994, 1996, 2003, 2005) too. Make the jump or not?

Just wanted to point out that the article in Let's Play Hockey about Warroad was from 1991 but it said it was updated just a week ago but I couldn't find where it was. None of the names listed in the article are still involved with the school and I think Roger Christian died over the summer. Personally, I don't care if Warroad stays in A or goes to AA. I think there are excellent arguments on both sides. But yes, congrats to BSM to playing the best hockey the only time of the year that really counts.
hipcheck

Post by hipcheck »

warroad should be in class A. They belong there. STA should be in AA
WayOutWest

Re: Historic win. A state tourney first.

Post by WayOutWest »

sparty wrote:Benilde is the first school to win a Class A championship (1999, 2001) and later win a Class AA championship. No school has ever accomplished this in state high school hockey history. Congrats to them!

STA and Breck are way too light in the loafers to man up.
Saywhat?03

Post by Saywhat?03 »

STA and Breck are the reason why they delayed the start off Friday afternoon's game for close to a half hour. There were so many people waiting in line for tickets to watch the game that the line stretched out the X and almost to Crowne Plaza. They opened the second deck for a Class A semifinal game.... cant remember the last time that happened?

A semi final game between Little Falls and New Ulm would have had a hard time filling half the lower bowl...
mn miracle man

Post by mn miracle man »

Saywhat?03 wrote:STA and Breck are the reason why they delayed the start off Friday afternoon's game for close to a half hour. There were so many people waiting in line for tickets to watch the game that the line stretched out the X and almost to Crowne Plaza. They opened the second deck for a Class A semifinal game.... cant remember the last time that happened?

A semi final game between Little Falls and New Ulm would have had a hard time filling half the lower bowl...
What does that have to do with Benilde's accomplishment or the fact that there is no reason for STA and Breck to compete in class A?
old_hawk

Post by old_hawk »

Saywhat?03 wrote:STA and Breck are the reason why they delayed the start off Friday afternoon's game for close to a half hour. There were so many people waiting in line for tickets to watch the game that the line stretched out the X and almost to Crowne Plaza. They opened the second deck for a Class A semifinal game.... cant remember the last time that happened?

Hermantown vs. Mahtomedi was the first time that happened, two years ago. Two public schools, by the way.