Congrats to Justin Kloos-2012 Mr. Hockey

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

RickyTicky

Congrats to Justin Kloos-2012 Mr. Hockey

Post by RickyTicky » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:03 pm

As expected Justin Kloos took home the Mr. Hockey award today. Congrats on his great individual performance and overall great season for LS. Excited to watch him play for the Gophers (hopefully) next year

gopherpuck516

Post by gopherpuck516 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:16 pm

Congrats to Justin! He had a great high school hockey career and and amazing senior season.

Tornadoes 2003StateChamps

Post by Tornadoes 2003StateChamps » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:26 pm

Nice job Justin!

WayOutWest

Post by WayOutWest » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:16 pm

gopherpuck516 wrote:Congrats to Justin! He had a great high school hockey career and and amazing senior season.
Dude flies!!!

mn miracle man

Post by mn miracle man » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:52 pm

WayOutWest wrote:
gopherpuck516 wrote:Congrats to Justin! He had a great high school hockey career and and amazing senior season.
Dude flies!!!
After watching a lot of the state tournament and getting to see a majority of the candidates up for the award in person, I was actually a little disappointed when they announced mr. hockey this afternoon. Although Kloos is a gifted offensive player, he definitely is lacking in the defensive end of the rink. He was consistently late coming back into his own zone and often moving out of the zone waiting for a breakout pass before his own team had possession of the puck. There were some good players up for the award this year but personally I didn't think anyone really stood out head and shoulders above any other player this year. Did anyone else have this feeling after watching the tourney?

xy

Post by xy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:03 pm

You were disappointed in who won - who exactly did you think should have won?

Neuuman

Post by Neuuman » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:18 pm

mn miracle man wrote:
WayOutWest wrote:
Dude flies!!!
After watching a lot of the state tournament and getting to see a majority of the candidates up for the award in person, I was actually a little disappointed when they announced mr. hockey this afternoon. Although Kloos is a gifted offensive player, he definitely is lacking in the defensive end of the rink. He was consistently late coming back into his own zone and often moving out of the zone waiting for a breakout pass before his own team had possession of the puck. There were some good players up for the award this year but personally I didn't think anyone really stood out head and shoulders above any other player this year. Did anyone else have this feeling after watching the tourney?
Well, he led the lowest ranked team in the tourney to a third place finish and had 2 game winning goals in the process. Not that that should matter since the voting occurs before the state tournament.

According the star tribune, his single season total of 103 points ranks 10th all-time, and his 238 career points rank 19th all-time. I can see why you would consider someone with those credentials a real disappointment. Get a clue.

Congrats Justin on a job well done.

Neuuman

Post by Neuuman » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:21 pm

mn miracle man wrote:
WayOutWest wrote:
Dude flies!!!
And another thing - there are plenty of posts out here for you to voice your opinion, but I think it's in incredibly poor taste and totally classless to come on to a post whose topic is to congratulate him for winning and say how disappointed you are.

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:24 pm

No question if an award was given out for best player in the tourney it would have been someone other than kloos. Justin's style of play in high school looks to me to be a function of necessity. To win his team needs to score, this responsibility falls on his line for the most part. He is often asked to play a ridiculous number of minutes so something has to give. No one can play that much and be the first guy in and the first guy back very often. I think if you asked the staff in Waterloo about his game you might get a little different answer. Having had the chance to see him there I was surprised in how differently he played. I do believe that he'll never be allowed or required to play 2 minute shifts and leave the d-zone as early has he did in high school.
It should be noted that with each passing year as the number of outstanding players head out of high school early that we won't see as many Bjugstad or Leddy type players win this award. This year there are 5 I can think of off the top of my head that would have been at the very least finalists. At any rate, congrats to Justin on a great career.

RickyTicky

Post by RickyTicky » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:38 pm

Justin may of not walked past 5 guys and gone in and scored during the tourney but he did have many good plays and if others would of finished he could of had 4-5 more assists. If you watch the other team every time Justin touches the puck they have 3-4 guys skating backwards waiting to trap him when he gets in the zone. Coach Weber was quoted as saying one of his most memorable hockey moments of Justin was against Hill Murray when Justin picked up the puck on a break out down by one goal in the 3rd and all 5 Hill players were skating backwards in the neutral zone waiting to trap him.. Thats how much respect other teams give him.. At any rate, I think he will be even a better player at the U when teams can't focus 3,4 or even 5 guys on him. Congrats to Justin on an amazing career and doing his best to keep kids in Lakeville

Weekend_Warrior

Post by Weekend_Warrior » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:22 am

WayOutWest wrote:
Dude flies!!!
Yeah, that dude can skate. No doubt

PantherPride

Post by PantherPride » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:33 am

Congrats to Justin. The kid can flat out play.
* Great Hockey Knowledge
* Always Competitive
* Great Team Player
* Great Leader

Justin Kloos has All of the characteristics that a Mr. Hockey winner should encompass.

Excited to watch his college hockey career. =D>

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:21 am

Congrats. Great player. Well deserved. Congrats to all Mr. Hockey candidates who stuck around their sr years and allowed us all to watch some great hockey players

starmvp

Post by starmvp » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:13 pm

Congrats to Justin!

mn miracle man

Post by mn miracle man » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:51 pm

Neuuman wrote:
mn miracle man wrote:
WayOutWest wrote:
Dude flies!!!
Well, he led the lowest ranked team in the tourney to a third place finish and had 2 game winning goals in the process. Not that that should matter since the voting occurs before the state tournament.

According the star tribune, his single season total of 103 points ranks 10th all-time, and his 238 career points rank 19th all-time. I can see why you would consider someone with those credentials a real disappointment. Get a clue.

Get a clue? Yea he may rank 10th all time along with career points but the way he got points is what bothers me and it should bother others as well, especially if you want to talk about being "classy."

In sections along they beat an obviously defenseless team 19-0 and he had 3 assists in the 3rd period after leading 13-1 heading into it (not to mention one with just over a minute left in the game). He also had points in the last minute of the game against teams such as Century and Rosemount when they were up by over 7 goals at the time.

As for who should have gotten it? I honestly thought the field was way down as there were not as many dominating game changers as there has been in the past, but based on someone I would want to have on my team. I thought the D, Schurhamer, of STA was the most solid. He was always in good position, moved the puck very well, and rarely made mistakes. He also put up some points on a team that didn't really have a "go-to" player like in years past. There is a reason a team like Maine would come all this way for a high school player.

Now maybe you should calm down Neumann, as this is a message board so there are opinions to be stated, no need to get so upset.

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:27 pm

Do you think this was part of their plan since they got down so quickly? I would think the gameplan would need to change when falling behind so quickly. Take some chances...right?

This was a no-brainer. Obviously other gifted players, but 100 points in an okay to better than average conference is pretty impressive.

Arent there two kids from Eagan going to Maine? What is the east coast having a hard time putting out players so they gotta come this direction to recruit.

nahc

Post by nahc » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:54 pm

I have had the priveledge to watch Justin play since he was a squirt. He was considered to small to play even at that level. It was always said that Justin was to small to play Pee Wees and of course to small to play Bantams and of course to small to be an impact player in highschool. Justin has the heart and will of a champion. Each and every team based their entire defense on containing Justin.......Duluth East, Edina, Benilde, Moorehead and every other team the past 2 years. Justin wears the bullseye and rises to the challenge in each game. Some very great players out there this year and they all had wonderful years!!!! Justin very much deserved this award..........Congratulations Justin to you and your family!!!!!!!!

Neuuman

Post by Neuuman » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:19 pm

mn miracle man wrote:
Neuuman wrote:
mn miracle man wrote:
WayOutWest wrote:
Dude flies!!!

Get a clue? Yea he may rank 10th all time along with career points but the way he got points is what bothers me and it should bother others as well, especially if you want to talk about being "classy."

In sections along they beat an obviously defenseless team 19-0 and he had 3 assists in the 3rd period after leading 13-1 heading into it (not to mention one with just over a minute left in the game). He also had points in the last minute of the game against teams such as Century and Rosemount when they were up by over 7 goals at the time.

As for who should have gotten it? I honestly thought the field was way down as there were not as many dominating game changers as there has been in the past, but based on someone I would want to have on my team. I thought the D, Schurhamer, of STA was the most solid. He was always in good position, moved the puck very well, and rarely made mistakes. He also put up some points on a team that didn't really have a "go-to" player like in years past. There is a reason a team like Maine would come all this way for a high school player.

Now maybe you should calm down Neumann, as this is a message board so there are opinions to be stated, no need to get so upset.
I'll repeat my sentiments from an earlier post - I think it's totally inappropriate to stumble into a post whose title is "Congrats to Justin Kloos-2012 Mr. Hockey" and talk about what a disappointment it is that he won when there are ample posts to voice your opinion - like the post with very recent entries that was titled "2012 mr. hockey". Is he a perfect hockey player? No. Is Schurhamer? No. How many games did you see either play this year?

Just seems to me to be low class to come in to a post like this and rain on a kids parade. Plenty of other posts on which to do this.

But, if it makes you feel better, good for you. What's good for a well deserving high school kid be damned, what ever makes you feel good must be best for everyone.

Neuuman

Post by Neuuman » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:25 pm

mn miracle man wrote:
Neuuman wrote:
mn miracle man wrote:
WayOutWest wrote:
Dude flies!!!

And another thing - the way he got the majority of his 81 regular season points was by playing the same 17 game conference schedule that two other Mr. Hockey candidates played - and he outscored them by about 20 pts. each. If you didn't like the way he played in the state tourney, that's fine, but that's not why the award is given. Apparently you know more than the NHL scouts and MN D-1 coaches - who are the ones who vote on the award.

Neuuman

Post by Neuuman » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:42 pm

Oh, yeah, blame Justin for a couple meaningless points he scored in a 19-0 blowout. First of all, the coach is the one who sent him over the boards. Second, he never even attempted a shot after the first period. Third, he has no control, after being put on the ice in that awful position, what anybody does once he passes them the puck. I promise you he wasn't setting anyone up for lay-ups. What's his alternative? Should he have fired the puck in his own net?

Neuuman

Post by Neuuman » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:53 pm

And, I guess the way he got those 47 points in 21 elite league games in the fall is suspect???? He, other than his linemate Jake Guentzel, led the league in scoring by almost a point a game. His team did win the league title. Yeah, you hate a guy who scores points like that.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:04 am

nahc wrote:I have had the priveledge to watch Justin play since he was a squirt. He was considered to small to play even at that level. It was always said that Justin was to small to play Pee Wees and of course to small to play Bantams and of course to small to be an impact player in highschool. Justin has the heart and will of a champion. Each and every team based their entire defense on containing Justin.......Duluth East, Edina, Benilde, Moorehead and every other team the past 2 years. Justin wears the bullseye and rises to the challenge in each game. Some very great players out there this year and they all had wonderful years!!!! Justin very much deserved this award..........Congratulations Justin to you and your family!!!!!!!!
Very well said. This is why he will be successful at the next level too. His heart and will. I have a ton of respect for this kid for the way he competes and comes to the rink to play every night. The U is getting a kid who will be a solid 4 year player. Best of luck and congrats on an amazing HS career.

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:06 pm

While I'm very hopeful that Justin succeeds at the next level I think how he got to where he is is a testimony to his will and competitiveness.
As a first year bantam he watched almost half the team leave for St. Thomas and the Fire. He stayed and struggled through a tough year, but with the help of a great coach, he just worked that much harder. That spring he got cut from the district 8 select 15 team. That's right, he didn't even make it to the festival much less the final 54. From that point on he dedicated himself to becoming the best he could be. As a 16 he chose to play in the VFW state with his team and passed on the chance to tryout for selects. He played on a line as a sophomore that had the potential to become one of the greatest scoring threats ever in the state. That summer a key member , and good friend, made the difficult choice to attend the NTDP. Can you imagine the numbers they might have put up had he stayed! This fall Justin was pushed very hard by Waterloo to play in the USHL but stayed home to take one final shot at the dance.
Great job Justin, all the hard work payed off.

sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:49 pm

Looking forward to seeing him on the Gophs.
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20

really?

Post by really? » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:00 pm

keepyourheadup wrote:While I'm very hopeful that Justin succeeds at the next level I think how he got to where he is is a testimony to his will and competitiveness.
As a first year bantam he watched almost half the team leave for St. Thomas and the Fire. He stayed and struggled through a tough year, but with the help of a great coach, he just worked that much harder. That spring he got cut from the district 8 select 15 team. That's right, he didn't even make it to the festival much less the final 54. From that point on he dedicated himself to becoming the best he could be. As a 16 he chose to play in the VFW state with his team and passed on the chance to tryout for selects. He played on a line as a sophomore that had the potential to become one of the greatest scoring threats ever in the state. That summer a key member , and good friend, made the difficult choice to attend the NTDP. Can you imagine the numbers they might have put up had he stayed! This fall Justin was pushed very hard by Waterloo to play in the USHL but stayed home to take one final shot at the dance.
Great job Justin, all the hard work payed off.
It's a great story. And, it has to be added, that if you threw out or didn't care about any of the above, Justin is an outstanding individual - a great leader, student and friend. All of that will see him through long after he scores his last goal.
Congratulations!!