Tournament Lacked Close Games

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

politicalpuck

Tournament Lacked Close Games

Post by politicalpuck »

I don't think this year's tourney was as good as we have seen. There was only one overtime game in winner bracket games; and a fair number of games that were over in the second period. Maybe I expected too much.
WayOutWest

Re: Tournament Lacked Close Games

Post by WayOutWest »

politicalpuck wrote:I don't think this year's tourney was as good as we have seen. There was only one overtime game in winner bracket games; and a fair number of games that were over in the second period. Maybe I expected too much.
There are some weak sections, particularly in Class A. I'm not a big fan of the section system. Some of the best games were in the section finals.............always seem to be.

Then there is the whole private school issue. That does not lend itself to highly competitive games either.

I concur.
ihatethestlblues

Post by ihatethestlblues »

True, but I'm all for great section finals as well... and usually there are a number of really close games at the tournament (and all of the games are closer overall), something that the AA tourney lacked this year, comparatively. It was an interesting year.
formerly got puck 2345, actually don't hate the blues
kpryan88

Post by kpryan88 »

politicalpuck wrote:I don't think this year's tourney was as good as we have seen. There was only one overtime game in winner bracket games; and a fair number of games that were over in the second period. Maybe I expected too much.
The tourney I watched had 2 out of 4 quarterfinal games decided by 1 goal, 1 of the 2 conso semis decided by 1 goal, 1 of the 2 semis decided in OT and the 3rd place game was a 2-1 final. How did this years tourney "lack close games"? IMHO, this tourney was hard fought and had some very close games. All In all it was a good tourney that will not be forgotten any time soon.
politicalpuck

Post by politicalpuck »

The Winner's Bracket games were void of close games. Read the original post closely my friend. One of the winner bracket quarters that ended up being a one goal game resulted from a garbage goal scored with eight or nine seconds left in regulation. The Edina-BSM game was probably the tournament's best game from a competitive standpoint. I didn't watch any consolation bracket games, and quite frankly, I don't care whether consolation bracket games were close games or blow outs. When a team loses its way into the consolation bracket, only friends and family care what happens, mostly.

Your Post Reads:

The tourney I watched had 2 out of 4 quarterfinal games decided by 1 goal, 1 of the 2 conso semis decided by 1 goal, 1 of the 2 semis decided in OT and the 3rd place game was a 2-1 final. How did this years tourney "lack close games"? IMHO, this tourney was hard fought and had some very close games. All In all it was a good tourney that will not be forgotten any time soon.[/quote]
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

politicalpuck wrote:The Winner's Bracket games were void of close games. Read the original post closely my friend. One of the winner bracket quarters that ended up being a one goal game resulted from a garbage goal scored with eight or nine seconds left in regulation. The Edina-BSM game was probably the tournament's best game from a competitive standpoint. I didn't watch any consolation bracket games, and quite frankly, I don't care whether consolation bracket games were close games or blow outs. When a team loses its way into the consolation bracket, only friends and family care what happens, mostly.

Your Post Reads:

The tourney I watched had 2 out of 4 quarterfinal games decided by 1 goal, 1 of the 2 conso semis decided by 1 goal, 1 of the 2 semis decided in OT and the 3rd place game was a 2-1 final. How did this years tourney "lack close games"? IMHO, this tourney was hard fought and had some very close games. All In all it was a good tourney that will not be forgotten any time soon.
[/quote]

The tournament lost a lot of luster when the top seeds all lost. If it weren't for the BSM-Jablonski story, this would have been one of the all-time tourney snoozefests. The Moorhead-Hill semi sparked some interest, but it was almost forgotten in the wake of the BSM-South debacle. Also, who would have thought that Edina and Maple Grove leave the tourney without a win. Very strange year.
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

mnmouth wrote:
politicalpuck wrote:The Winner's Bracket games were void of close games. Read the original post closely my friend. One of the winner bracket quarters that ended up being a one goal game resulted from a garbage goal scored with eight or nine seconds left in regulation. The Edina-BSM game was probably the tournament's best game from a competitive standpoint. I didn't watch any consolation bracket games, and quite frankly, I don't care whether consolation bracket games were close games or blow outs. When a team loses its way into the consolation bracket, only friends and family care what happens, mostly.

Your Post Reads:

The tournament lost a lot of luster when the top seeds all lost. If it weren't for the BSM-Jablonski story, this would have been one of the all-time tourney snoozefests. The Moorhead-Hill semi sparked some interest, but it was almost forgotten in the wake of the BSM-South debacle. Also, who would have thought that Edina and Maple Grove leave the tourney without a win. Very strange year.
Even with the Benilde story, I still felt it was really dull.. The tenacity wasn't there for me this time around. In part, I feel the more physical teams (Duluth/Eagan) were hurt by the new rule changes so they did not hit. They couldn't slow down the faster teams. It became a tournament of finesse and it played right into the hands of the teams that were built around fast/skill players (Benilde in particular because privates seldom bring in a hitter for their teams; though Hill Murray was, in my opinion, the only team with a constant physical presence)

I'm hoping this will change next year.
EHSHack

Post by EHSHack »

WayOutWest wrote:
There are some weak sections, particularly in Class A. I'm not a big fan of the section system. Some of the best games were in the section finals.............always seem to be.

Then there is the whole private school issue. That does not lend itself to highly competitive games either.

I concur.
Yeah no BSM and Hill Murray are basically JV teams... :roll:
Go Hounds.