new conferences good for college hockey?

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

I could careless about Ohio St. Never have, never will! I could also careless about Michigan Tech, Denver, Colorado College, Nebraska-Omaha, Alaska Anchorage, and Mankato. Tech has had hockey for how long?? They will be fine. Denver, CC, and Omaha will be fine. Anchorage?? I dont know, it is what it is up there. Mankato and SCSU will survive just fine.

So, you are concerned about some teams in the CCHA. Should we worry about Union, Sacred Heart, and Quinnipiac? Should we blame Minnesota and Wisconsin if any of those teams go under?

I would be more worried for college hockey if it was a conference of 5 teams, but its not. Its a group of teams that belong in the same conference. It MIGHT be a good thing, before its a bad thing. Ever think of that?

As for Ohio St...Who cares!? More conferences equals more room to grow in my opinion.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

WayOutWest wrote:Look, we are ALL wrong, on this board at some point or another. Yep, I was wrong about the BTHC. That doesn't make it any more of a good idea. And that does not invalidate my thoughts, observances, opinions on everything else.
First, I was speaking on your accuracy revolving around the changes in college hockey. Not life in general. Yes, we will all be wrong at times in life. The difference is some of us are smart enough to realize when we have been wrong a lot on a topic, we should probably not exacerbate how stupid we look by continually commenting like we know more than we really do about that topic.

In this specific topic revolving around conference changes... your accuracy has been as poor as it gets. Yes, some of these things are speculation and open for debate. But just remember when you start using negative terms on people that you aren't exactly standing on a strong foundation of excellent accuracy.
And you really don't need me (or anyone else) to spell out which teams may be at risk. You fashion yourself a hockey wonk, right? Start with what will remain in the CCHA and the WCHA. I am sure you will find some programs of interest there.
I ask you to name specific teams because it was your comment and your opinion that some were at risk. If it was my opinion and I was asked for examples, I'd just give them. I wouldn't be avoiding the answer by asking somebody to just make assumptions.

Yeah, I could probably guess on it. But guessing just let's you off the hook. If you want to duck answering it, I guess that just tells me you aren't very confident that your answer has a lot of merit to it.
WayOutWest

Post by WayOutWest »

Tigers33 wrote:I could careless about Ohio St. Never have, never will! I could also careless about Michigan Tech, Denver, Colorado College, Nebraska-Omaha, Alaska Anchorage, and Mankato. .....
That's the entire issue, yes.
WayOutWest

Post by WayOutWest »

Gopher Blog wrote:The difference is some of us are smart enough to realize when we have been wrong a lot on a topic, we should probably not exacerbate how stupid we look by continually commenting like we know more than we really do about that topic.
Clearly, you aren't.
Gopher Blog wrote: I ask you to name specific teams because it was your comment and your opinion that some were at risk. .....
Yeah, I could probably guess on it. ....
If you could guess, then you know.
But just in the directly affected conferences, you can look at Lake Superior, Alaska, Alaska Anchorage, Bowling Green, Mankato, Bemidji State.

Now that I have provided you with your needs, by backtracking quite a bit in this thread, why don't you go ahead and address the meat of most of our banter, here, prior to two days ago.........................the embarrassing trumpeting of OSU's strength, and their subsequent epic collapse???
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

WayOutWest wrote:Clearly, you aren't.
LOL. I'm not the one that continually has egg on his face. 8)
But just in the directly affected conferences, you can look at Lake Superior, Alaska, Alaska Anchorage, Bowling Green, Mankato, Bemidji State.
Thanks. We'll have to revisit these predictions down the road. I think the next version of the WCHA will have a stable group. I saw Lucia commenting on UAA and how he believes teams like them will have a better chance to compete for league titles in the next WCHA given those clubs have relatively equal platforms to compete with each other. I tend to agree with that. Usually having a legitimate chance to win helps attendance too.
Now that I have provided you with your needs, by backtracking quite a bit in this thread, why don't you go ahead and address the meat of most of our banter, here, prior to two days ago.........................the embarrassing trumpeting of OSU's strength, and their subsequent epic collapse???
I never had a dog in that fight as I wasn't the one "trumpeting" them. But I am willing to give an opinion.

Seems to me they were relying on a lot of first year players (10 freshmen with 20+ games played) and it is pretty difficult to maintain success during a season with such a young lineup. 7 of their top 10 scorers are underclassmen (and mostly freshmen). College hockey's best teams usually (not always) tend to be led by upperclassmen. They really don't have that at this point.

Obviously the plan for Osiecki is to give the young guys their playing time and take their lumps in order to try to build the team into a contender in a few seasons. He's landed some good players in the coming recruiting classes and he is definitely a good coach. We'll see if that plan works out for him in a season or two.
WayOutWest

Post by WayOutWest »

Gopher Blog wrote: LOL. I'm not the one that continually has egg on his face. 8)
You do irony very well. :lol:
JSR

Post by JSR »

WayOutWest wrote:
JSR wrote: .....blather..........
Keep diverting, JSR.

Still nothing to say with regard to the great OSU collapse?

Hmmmmm...........too busy eating crow?
What "crow" do you want me to eat. Here is my EXACT statement:

"I suspect as long as Mark Osiecki is the coach at tOSU that the Buckeyes are going to be a real force in college hockey."

There is NOTHING about how they played this year (or even how they finished) that leads me to change my mind. I still SUSPECT that they are GOING TO BE a real force in college hockey. Seriously, reading comprehension, it's something most of us learned in 1st grade. And I never once used the words "significant power" no one said they would replace Wisconsin or Denver or Minnesota on top of the mountain but they can be a real force in the coming years. See I actually make thoughtful statements unlike you and it's not I who romanticizes things that would be you usuing rhetoric and romantics feelings from days long past now, it's myself and others using factual data and information to form both factual statements and prognostications with high likely hoods for coming true. I think it's hilarious you've built this hill of sand argument around tOSU when NOTHING that has happened has negated what I stated earlier in the thread but you continue to make yourself look the fool to everyone else on this board. Kudo's and I can't wait to see your response as I am positive it will provide additional entertainment value but no substance to anything .
WayOutWest

Post by WayOutWest »

JSR wrote:
WayOutWest wrote:
JSR wrote: .....blather..........
Keep diverting, JSR.

Still nothing to say with regard to the great OSU collapse?

Hmmmmm...........too busy eating crow?
What "crow" do you want me to eat. Here is my EXACT statement:

"I suspect as long as Mark Osiecki is the coach at tOSU that the Buckeyes are going to be a real force in college hockey."

There is NOTHING about how they played this year (or even how they finished) that leads me to change my mind. I still SUSPECT that they are GOING TO BE a real force in college hockey. Seriously, reading comprehension, it's something most of us learned in 1st grade. And I never once used the words "significant power" no one said they would replace Wisconsin or Denver or Minnesota on top of the mountain but they can be a real force in the coming years. See I actually make thoughtful statements unlike you and it's not I who romanticizes things that would be you usuing rhetoric and romantics feelings from days long past now, it's myself and others using factual data and information to form both factual statements and prognostications with high likely hoods for coming true. I think it's hilarious you've built this hill of sand argument around tOSU when NOTHING that has happened has negated what I stated earlier in the thread but you continue to make yourself look the fool to everyone else on this board. Kudo's and I can't wait to see your response as I am positive it will provide additional entertainment value but no substance to anything .
Based on OSU's record, post 12/26, you must also SUSPECT the existence of unicorns and leprechauns.

But, you go!!!
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Thats all you got to this entire argument. Wow, you are just enlightening us each every time you speak. I hope you are in a position of authority so you can share all that wisdom and knowledge you possess.

Bring something else to the table for once.
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

8)
The Puck
LGW
WayOutWest

Post by WayOutWest »

Tigers33 wrote:Thats all you got to this entire argument. Wow, you are just enlightening us each every time you speak. I hope you are in a position of authority so you can share all that wisdom and knowledge you possess.

Bring something else to the table for once.
You haven't been paying attention, JSR...........er...........I mean Tigers.
Please check OSU's record since 12/26. (referenced many times above....in case you don't want to put in the hard work and search for it.)
That is all one needs to invalidate your...........er JSR's contentions about the quality of the OSU hockey program and the speculation of the quality of the upcoming BTHC.
You would be hard-pressed to find a bigger failure, this year, in D1 hockey. Even the Minnesota Wild are proving to be a better program in the NHL, and that isn't saying much at all.

By the way, your "complaint" would seem to imply that YOU have offered up something of substance. Other than keeping JSR warm, what exactly have you provided?
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

All he has implied is that OSU very well could be a good program in the future with the start of a new conference and a proven coach. They are extremely young. Your only argument is Ohio St. All your chips shoved in on Ohio St. Bring something else? I am getting bored with this conversation.

Four big ten teams in the tournament. I will take my chances that Ohio St, Penn St, and Wisconsin will become powerhouses again before Omaha and CC do.

I heard this week from credible source that Iowa is looking into college hockey. I find that funny, cause I have said that all along. It wouldnt shock me to see Iowa and Nebraska add college hockey within 5 years after the conference begins. So if we lose Alabama and gain Nebraska and Iowa. Sounds like an okay deal? Especially for Minnesotans.

All your whining has to do with the fact that the gophers wont play No dak, UMD, and SCSU so much. Poor baby.
WayOutWest

Post by WayOutWest »

Tigers33 wrote:All he has implied is that OSU very well could be a good program in the future with the start of a new conference and a proven coach. .
Sure, they could be.
And Ferris State could be the next D1 powerhouse. (which, at this moment, is far more likely)

There was far more than just blind speculation going on with JSR's "argumentation." If there wasn't, it wasn't worth the time and "effort" to post.
And if there WAS more, it was based on nothing more significant than the evidence that fairies will sprinkle hockey dust on the OSU program, making them into a program that just might stand a chance at beating the programs you care nothing about.

Now,............which is it?
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

A round of an applause!! All I read was blah, blah, blah, blah.

He provided facts as to why he believes that. Ferris St could be the next powerhouse. All though BC and Michigan continue to be there year in and year out.

What conference is Ferris St going to?
WayOutWest

Post by WayOutWest »

Tigers33 wrote:A round of an applause!! All I read was blah, blah, blah, blah.

He provided facts as to why he believes that. Ferris St could be the next powerhouse. All though BC and Michigan continue to be there year in and year out.

What conference is Ferris St going to?
Was someone talking about Michigan and BC?

Focus, Tigers.....................O............S...........U.

Please proceed.
WayOutWest

Post by WayOutWest »

Tigers33 wrote: Four big ten teams in the tournament.
Whoops. :oops:
Who was that fourth Big Ten team you believe made the tournament?

Ouch.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Round of applause, golf clap please...

Anyone got some salt for this popcorn I am eating?

You want to talk Ohio st you little punk. Take these FACTS! Ohio st is 3-12-4 in their last 19 games. Their 3 wins came against @W. Michigan, @Miami, and @Robert Morris. Their 4 ties came against @Bowling Green (twice), Ferris State, and @Lake Superior. Their losses came to Michigan, Ferris St, Michigan St, Notre Dame, etc...Wow, pretty decent teams in my opinion.

They have 18 freshman and sophmores. They have 13 players in double digits for scoring, 10 of those are Fr. or So. In fact, 6 of the top 7 are Fr. or So. I would say their program is being built for next season and the year after. Oh wait, just in time for the Big 10 conference. Kinda funny how that works out.

Why isn't Omaha in with that unbelievable coach? Oh where are they? 30 teams in the pairwise and I didnt even see them. Oh Oh!! You are ripping ohio state and they still finished 19th in the pairwise. Omaha and the almighty Blais couldnt beat that. What!!??

Stop arguing just argue!! Nobody ever called OSU a powerhouse, you are making that up and its funny cause everyone is laughing at you as you eat cheetos on your couch, watching larry the cable guy. All he stated was Ohio St. could be a team to reckon with in the years to come. Thats all that was stated, and he based that on some facts.

You just keep saying to yourself. "Why did my mommy name me Erin" And "Oh I wish I knew how to skate, so I could stop getting embarrassed at the outdoor rinks"
WayOutWest

Post by WayOutWest »

Tigers33 wrote:....whimper......
That's right. One win since 12/30. Beaten by numerous teams, some good, some not as good..............but beaten.

Hey, still looking for that 4th Big Ten team to make the tournament?
Here's a hint : BC is not in the Big Ten.

Nice work, bright eyes.