NTDP Tryouts - 2012

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:29 pm

Boyd also accelerated his education. He is basically the age of a HS senior as he won't turn 19 until next September.

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:42 am

Travis is likely one of the last to come in as a true high schooler. Pretty sure the U staff wants to avoid this practice as much as possible. Its Way to early to determine the kids future success.

mngopherfan

Post by mngopherfan » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:37 am

keepyourheadup wrote:Travis is likely one of the last to come in as a true high schooler. Pretty sure the U staff wants to avoid this practice as much as possible. Its Way to early to determine the kids future success.
Hu? He was playing against Jr and college competition the last 2 years?

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:43 am

yes he was but that doesn't change the fact that he's one of, if not the youngest, division 1 players in the country. Lets give the kid a chance to grow up. Playing against 18 and 19 year olds is different than playing against 22 or 23 year old men.

The Best in the Bizz3

Post by The Best in the Bizz3 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:59 am

keepyourheadup wrote:yes he was but that doesn't change the fact that he's one of, if not the youngest, division 1 players in the country. Lets give the kid a chance to grow up. Playing against 18 and 19 year olds is different than playing against 22 or 23 year old men.
You can't use that as an excuse at the division 1 level. You bring in kids that are ready to play, and even though Boyd is and will be a good player. He wasn't ready this wear and it showed against their competition imho
The best, period

JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:29 am

The Best in the Bizz3 wrote:
keepyourheadup wrote:yes he was but that doesn't change the fact that he's one of, if not the youngest, division 1 players in the country. Lets give the kid a chance to grow up. Playing against 18 and 19 year olds is different than playing against 22 or 23 year old men.
You can't use that as an excuse at the division 1 level. You bring in kids that are ready to play, and even though Boyd is and will be a good player. He wasn't ready this wear and it showed against their competition imho
I think he has done more than fine this year. He wasn't asked to play a scoring role this season. He has done better than expected centering the 4th line and playing on the PK.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:43 am

He wasn't asked to come in and play like he has throughout his career. As pointed out above his role was to be a 4th line, shut down, grinder-type player. Regardless of whether or not you "felt he was ready or not" this year, some people with a little more knowledge of the sport than you felt it was the right move. He will be a solid player for the U.

mngopherfan

Post by mngopherfan » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:14 am

Sats81 wrote:
He wasn't asked to come in and play like he has throughout his career. As pointed out above his role was to be a 4th line, shut down, grinder-type player. Regardless of whether or not you "felt he was ready or not" this year, some people with a little more knowledge of the sport than you felt it was the right move. He will be a solid player for the U.
Exactly, but I think he has been a solid player this year. He may be young, but his level of maturity shouldn't be questioned. Hats off to him for taking a role he isn't use to and succeeding. He left Hopkins as a huge scorer, then learned to play 2 way hockey at the NTDP and is now using what he learned to get and stay on the ice. Lots of "older" players have troubles with playing the role, which may be unfamiliar to them, that Travis has been asked to...

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:32 am

mngopherfan wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
Exactly, but I think he has been a solid player this year. He may be young, but his level of maturity shouldn't be questioned. Hats off to him for taking a role he isn't use to and succeeding. He left Hopkins as a huge scorer, then learned to play 2 way hockey at the NTDP and is now using what he learned to get and stay on the ice. Lots of "older" players have troubles with playing the role, which may be unfamiliar to them, that Travis has been asked to...
Which I think is a credit to Travis and the NTDP in developing him into a more well-rounded hockey player. A lot of people talk about how players who come into play D-1 hockey can't "accept" their role as a 3rd or 4th liner...or they aren't used to playing on a checking line, or having to play tough or gritty..well the bottom line is almost every single kid who plays D-1 was the "man" or the "guy" at one point in their HS or Jr career and they need to learn to adapt and accept their role to get ice time and if part of that is playing with more of an edge or playing more gutsy, so be it. Travis has done an excellent job of this.

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:57 am

No doubt he's done everything thats been asked of him and has played a big role in this years success. I was getting at the issue of kids excelerating and my belief that it does very little to help either the team or the player. I think most of us would agree that excelerating didn't really do much for Ness and for those that have had a major impact their college team just loses them that much sooner. Like I said earlier, I think we'll see less and less of it. I guess I'll never understand what the big hurry is?

mngopherfan

Post by mngopherfan » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:15 pm

keepyourheadup wrote:No doubt he's done everything thats been asked of him and has played a big role in this years success. I was getting at the issue of kids excelerating and my belief that it does very little to help either the team or the player. I think most of us would agree that excelerating didn't really do much for Ness and for those that have had a major impact their college team just loses them that much sooner. Like I said earlier, I think we'll see less and less of it. I guess I'll never understand what the big hurry is?
it worked out ok for Bjugstad..

I'm indifferent. it's tough to say it's going to stop when the leagues that the NCAA are competing with get you more exposure at a younger age. For those top prospects like Bjug and Ness (say what you want he was a top 2 rd pick) it makes sense along with those guys who age out of the NTDP before graduation...

ticktacktonka

Post by ticktacktonka » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:36 pm

My point exactly. Players like Rau, Bjugstad, Budish, stay in High School and come in with more success at the college level than a kid who played 2 years at ntdp. Goes to show you, don't be in too big of a rush to get out of High School, those years will never be given back to you.

mngopherfan

Post by mngopherfan » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:17 pm

ticktacktonka wrote:My point exactly. Players like Rau, Bjugstad, Budish, stay in High School and come in with more success at the college level than a kid who played 2 years at ntdp. Goes to show you, don't be in too big of a rush to get out of High School, those years will never be given back to you.
Bjugstad accelerated...

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:19 pm

Yes, Bjugstad did and is he or are the gophers better for it...thats the million dollar question. While his freshman year was good, he really didn't take off till after the world jrs. If he goes pro its one less year of strength and maturity the gophers get from him. Nick was a tweener (same as Ness)...he would have been and old senior in HS but I maintain that he would have lost nothing and the gophers would have gained had he just stayed. Florida drafted him after his junior/senior year so they likely had the most to gain by him accelerating. With his frame and skill set its more when and not if he plays in the NHL. There is no right answer to this but I'm fairly certain you won't see too much of it at the U.

mngopherfan

Post by mngopherfan » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:03 pm

keepyourheadup wrote:Yes, Bjugstad did and is he or are the gophers better for it...thats the million dollar question. While his freshman year was good, he really didn't take off till after the world jrs. If he goes pro its one less year of strength and maturity the gophers get from him. Nick was a tweener (same as Ness)...he would have been and old senior in HS but I maintain that he would have lost nothing and the gophers would have gained had he just stayed. Florida drafted him after his junior/senior year so they likely had the most to gain by him accelerating. With his frame and skill set its more when and not if he plays in the NHL. There is no right answer to this but I'm fairly certain you won't see too much of it at the U.
Yes, a year of playing against the competition he played last year trumps playing Centenial and Maple Grove...no? I think the biggest thing for him is that he hit the weights, i imagine his work at the U prepared him for this year as much as anything. I don't think he'd come in as a true freshman this year and have this type of a season.

Long story longer, i don't think it's a good idea to get into the trend of letting players accelerate, however it's inevitable in some situations. For the most part, it works out because those allowed to come early are the elite...

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:11 pm

Agreed, trouble is for each success you can point to a kid that stayed and did just fine..ie..Leddy. I'm not so sure that playing for the Chicago wolves is what Schroeder had in mind when he was being puched ahead or the same for Obrien. I think you are right about the truly elite kids that come along every so often, it probably doesn't much matter where they play. In the end its just my opinion that each kid has his own defined potential and if they work hard they'll reach the same point regardless of where they play for one year. Like an earlier post stated, you can't get that year of high school back.

ticktacktonka

Post by ticktacktonka » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:10 pm

Forgot about Nick Leddy, thanks "keep your head up" for reminding me about him. Was he ever offered an NTDP spot? Does anyone know? Also, like Blake Wheeler I don't think he ever made an MN Hockey Advanced team, did he?? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. There's another great example of great success for HS graduates of hockey.

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:22 pm

ticktacktonka wrote:Forgot about Nick Leddy, thanks "keep your head up" for reminding me about him. Was he ever offered an NTDP spot? Does anyone know? Also, like Blake Wheeler I don't think he ever made an MN Hockey Advanced team, did he?? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. There's another great example of great success for HS graduates of hockey.
Leddy had been offered an opportunity with the NTDP 18 team but turned it down.

Hoops

Post by Hoops » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:43 pm

keepyourheadup wrote:Travis is likely one of the last to come in as a true high schooler. Pretty sure the U staff wants to avoid this practice as much as possible. Its Way to early to determine the kids future success.
Born in Sept/93. Either an old sr in high school or young college freshman. Decisions made every year by parents when there is Aug/Sept birthdays and nothing to do with hockey. He's in college...forget about it.

gopherpuck516

Post by gopherpuck516 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:24 pm

Boyd played very well today, and he'll be a solid player for the Gophers for the next few years.

Reggie

Post by Reggie » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:13 pm

Glover and Collins offered spots, Walker still in the mix, and heard Perry was awful.

demongoed

Post by demongoed » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:04 pm

Nanne?

Wside

Post by Wside » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:30 pm

What's the source for Glover Collins being offered spots and no determination for Walker?

Reggie

Post by Reggie » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:26 pm

Wside wrote:What's the source for Glover Collins being offered spots and no determination for Walker?
Agents. Glover was offered a spot in December and excepted, but kept it quiet.

flatontheice

Post by flatontheice » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:02 am

JDUBBS1280 wrote:
Neuuman wrote:[qA vast majority of those kids are going to play in the NHL
I'd like to see some statistics on that - seems to me the last time I checked the USNTDP roster there were a WHOLE LOT of undersized players. Nothing against undersized players, but if you look at NHL rosters they just don't have too many of them. IMHO.
Look at who is getting drafted in the first round out of the NTDP.

15. JT Miller - 6'1", 190 lbs
20.  Connor Murphy - 6'3", 185 lbs
22. Tyler Biggs - 6'2",  200 lbs

11. Jack Campbell - Goalie
15. Derek Forbort - 6'5", 195 lbs
22. Jarred Tinordi - 6'7",  212 lbs

In the 2010 Draft, Nick Bjugstad and Brock Nelson were also drafted in the first round. Neither of them played for the NTDP, and both are going to be solid pro players. The only difference is, USA Hockey isn't going to get paid by the NHL for "developing" [marketing] them.[/quote]

All those kids would ahve been first rounders regardless of playing in Ann Arbor. The program is a joke. 4-5 million spent every year on the development of 36 kids is not a great ratio and thats not including the bombs in the program which are plentiful.