NORTH DAKOTA

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

IS KRISTO A WUSS?

YES
50%
NO
50%

Total votes: 22

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:54 pm

Tigers33 wrote:Stop making excuses for them.
Let's take the maroon and gold glasses off for one second. DmanDad1980 is right.

8)
The Puck
LGW

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:11 pm

And was everything else I said wrong? No, pretty accurate in my mind.

warriors41

Post by warriors41 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:02 pm

Tigers33 wrote:Stop making excuses for them. Knight, Kristo, and Nelson are probably considered to be one of the top lines in all of college hockey. I think they put up 130+ points this season. Not bad?

As for their defenseman - I specifically remember Macwilliam, Blood, Forbort, Mattson, and Panzarella playing quite often. I also believe Simpson played a bunch, he was on their top pp. Gleason played forward obviously. Senkbiel was also dressed.

I distinctively remember this stuff happening to the U of M and Don went out and got extra players for this reason in the past. We are sitting on 3/4 extra forwards and 2 extra defenseman. Didnt Schmitt have to play forward last year cause of injuries and lack of depth. This isnt uncommon.

I would not have played Nelson on the 4th line if I were them. They were getting loads of tv timeouts which were up to two minutes in length. 3.5 lines should have been fine. I think the gophers 4th line played 3 shifts the final period, with one of them being the last 30 seconds of the game. I would argue the Gophers basically played 3 lines as well. Bottom line is our 2nd and 3rd lines outproduced their top line.
There is a difference in giving excuses and giving reasons. I'm doing the latter. It would be an excuse if I said "The Gophers are lucky that UND wasn't healthy or they would have lost." I said that it wouldn't have mattered if they were healthy because they came out so flat. Gophers deserved the win. You'd be a little crazy to think that a team that basically only had 18 skaters since christmas break wouldn't be fatigued by NCAA tournament time. UND wasn't sitting on any extra D or Forwards. If you dressed, you played. They completely out performed themselves this season.

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:01 am

I dont think they did. Remember they just won the WCHA tournament a week ago. They finished where they expected to finish. Keep in mind as a whole, the WCHA was down this year. Colorado was supposed to be a top 2-3 team and they stunk. I believe Denver was picked to win the WCHA, and I wasnt all that impressed with them. The Gophers were a pre season pick to finish 5th or 6th, so you could say they out performed themselves too. I think Duluth was the one team picked high that finished high in the WCHA.

I would question their coaching in that last game. Like I said the last thing I would have done was to put Nelson out their with the 4th line. Don rarely played his 4th line. Put a 2nd or 3rd liner out with the 4th line. Just me. Last season Nate Schmitt played forward cause we had injury issues. Bring in extra players next season. Suck it up and play hockey. Nelson, Kristo, and Knight is one of the top lines in college hockey. Correct? Forbort, MacWilliam, and Blood should be as equally good as Schmitt, Alt, and Helgy. Mattson comparable to Marshall. So, now we got Simpson and Panzarella comparable to Parenteau and Holl. Sounds pretty even to me. The one guy they would have missed was Grimaldi. After that their 4th-5th line guys were the ones that were hurt.

Like last weekend the Gophers outplayed them, this time they finished.

What are the Sioux fans thoughts on Kristo, Brock, Knight, and Forbort going pro?

warriors41

Post by warriors41 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:28 pm

Tigers33 wrote:
What are the Sioux fans thoughts on Kristo, Brock, Knight, and Forbort going pro?
Obviously you'd like to see them all come back. That first line staying together for another year could be down right scary. Honestly, I was a little surprised that Nelson put up the numbers that he did this year. I knew he would be good but I didn't think he would really break out until his junior year. I heard rumblings in Warroad that it was a real possibility that Nelson would go pro after this year. I really hope he stays because I think he could be a Hobey Baker contender. You couldn't really blame any of those kids for leaving early though. I don't think any of them have that much more development that needs to occur for them to be successful at the next level.

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:43 pm

Kristo - 90% gone
Nelson - 50/50 on staying/going

I don't think Forbort had all that good of a year to justify going pro. He's still young but he seems real soft (especially for his size) and the rest of his game isn't all that dynamic offensively. Given where he was taken, he is looking a little like a bust to me. But maybe he'll pick it up significantly in the next year or so. I think he is a lock to come back to UND.

Knight is a solid player but he looks like a 4 year guy to me. Not a guy you sign early. But I guess it depends on how concerned the Panthers might be about his sign-ability after his senior year. I'd be surprised if he doesn't come back though.

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:54 pm

Is Kristo really ready? I dont know much about him, but I dont see an electrifying type of player that you see in Zucker and JT Brown that just signed and will be debuting in the NHL this week. I know Kristo is good, but is he fast enough...strong enough...mature enough?

I would think Brock is ready to go pro.

Completely agree on Forbort, I just know he has the NHL size for a defenseman and was a high draft pick.

Agree on Knight.

Do as many east coast players leave early as it seems WCHA players are going? I mean Brown, Zucker, another from UMD?, two from st cloud, one from Nebraska, any others?? Than throw in the possibility of Bjugstad, Haula, and Budish from the Gophers. Also, the possibility of ND players. The list continues to grow each year.

mngopherfan

Post by mngopherfan » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:21 am

Tigers33 wrote:Is Kristo really ready? I dont know much about him, but I dont see an electrifying type of player that you see in Zucker and JT Brown that just signed and will be debuting in the NHL this week. I know Kristo is good, but is he fast enough...strong enough...mature enough?

Completely agree on Forbort, I just know he has the NHL size for a defenseman and was a high draft pick.

Agree on Knight.

Do as many east coast players leave early as it seems WCHA players are going? I mean Brown, Zucker, another from UMD?, two from st cloud, one from Nebraska, any others?? Than throw in the possibility of Bjugstad, Haula, and Budish from the Gophers. Also, the possibility of ND players. The list continues to grow each year.
The thing about Kristo is that he can become a free agent if he leaves this summer. Huge deal. If he sticks around in school Montreal will keep his rights, where as if he leaves this summer (4 years after he was drafted and not yet finished with school) Montreal has a month to sign him and if they fail to do so he is a free agent. IF he's good enough isnt the question, the opportunity is pretty hard to turn down.

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:43 am

Completely agree. I wasnt aware he would be a free agent.

JSR

Post by JSR » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:42 pm

Tigers33 wrote:Is Kristo really ready? I dont know much about him, but I dont see an electrifying type of player that you see in Zucker and JT Brown that just signed and will be debuting in the NHL this week. I know Kristo is good, but is he fast enough...strong enough...mature enough?

Agree on Knight.

Schultz from Wisconsin won't be coming back. The only reason he hasn't signed yet is because if he waits til this summer he is a free agent and able to sign with any team he wants as opposed to if he signs right now... So there is another leaving early from WCHA

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:06 pm

The one person answered already. I suppose you could make an argument that Kristo isn't ready. He doesn't come across as the most emotionally mature kid in the world. That's for sure. My reasoning is based more on the fact he can become a free agent and pretty much pick a better landing spot if he sees fit. He'll get big money no matter where he goes and he could pick his own spot. That's a good spot to be in. I highly doubt he stays at UND.
It sounds like the Islanders will take him if he wants to go. But won't push him to leave. So I guess it comes down to whether he feels he is ready. Hakstol seems to do a pretty good job of "stealing" another year out of guys that could go pro so it wouldn't surprise me if the kid stays. That's why I said 50/50.
I'm not a big Forbort fan. He has the skill and size but there just seems to be something missing too.
Than throw in the possibility of Bjugstad, Haula, and Budish from the Gophers.
I don't think you'll see Haula or Budish leave. The Wild are going to be signing a number of other young guys this off-season and they are going to be getting an influx of youth as it is. They are already seeming to be concerned about spreading out the time frame when these guys hit a possible 2nd contract and signing Haula isn't going to make that situation any better. My bet is he comes back next year and signs after the season is over.

I can see the argument for Budish but given his history, I think it is more likely he plays next year, graduates, and then signs a deal next summer.

I used to think Bjugstad was 100% gone. However, I am starting to believe there is a legit chance he will return for one more year of college. I know he and his family feel like he needs another year. Certainly his uncle Scott knows what it takes. I hear Potulny is telling some of his ex-Gopher teammates that he thinks Bjugstad will return and he has no reason to blow smoke to them... so they must sincerely feel he might return.

Of course, if the Gophers win the NCAA title... all bets are off.

warriors41

Post by warriors41 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:21 pm

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:26 pm

North Dakota will finally get hit hard by early departures. Brock gone, it sounds like Kristo will leave, it makes you wonder what Knight will do.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:58 am

Tigers33 wrote:North Dakota will finally get hit hard by early departures. Brock gone, it sounds like Kristo will leave, it makes you wonder what Knight will do.
I would say loosing Praise, Toews, Stafford and Oshie by early depatures is getting hit hard.

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:04 am

How many of them left after their sophmore season?

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:12 am

Not sure, but this was Kristo's 3rd yr.

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:14 am

Leaving after junior season these days doesnt really mean leaving early in my book. With the CBA some players have to sign after junior season so they dont become free agents. Getting three years out of top talented players is one more year than expected.

Will be very interesting to see what happens with kristo and knight?

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:29 am

I agree Tigers33. My feeling these days is if you somehow manage to keep a relatively high NHL draft pick (if he is playing well in college hockey) for three seasons, you've probably got the max out of it.

That's why it is probably going to pay to have a few of those "tweener" types like Jack Connolly for UMD. An excellent college player whose size limits the opportunity for a high dollar NHL contract before he graduates.

FightingSioux5

Post by FightingSioux5 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:33 am

Tigers33 wrote:How many of them left after their sophmore season?
Actually both Parise and Toews left after their Sophomore years.....Oshie and Stafford left after their junior year
Fighting Sioux Forever!

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:17 pm

I am wondering why Kristo hasnt signed. I thought someone said he was a free agent if he didnt sign. Is he taking his chances in free agency? I find it interesting that North Dakota has been done for 3 weeks and he hasnt signed yet.

Any inside on this?

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:27 pm

I believe they don't become agents until July1. My guess if Anaheim doesn't sign Schultz they will trade him to a team that he will sign with, that way they get something in return. If this doen't happen he will be able to sign with any team. He really won't get more money because entry level contracts are pretty cut and dry. Kristo is similar, except he isn't in demand. Montreal does not have a lot of prospects and he would benefit signing with them if they want him.

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:17 pm

mulefarm has it right. Kristo would withdraw from school at the end of the year and the team that owns his rights would have until July 1st to sign him or he becomes a free agent. It is the exact same situation that his ex-teammate Jason Gregiore did last year. Gregiore withdrew from school and the Islanders had a month to sign him to terms. He just waited out the month and signed with whoever he felt comfortable with (in his case, Winnipeg).

The other issue is Montreal does do not have a general manager right now as they just canned the guy who held that position. Obviously they are probably going to fill that role first before signing prospects like Kristo to deals.