Playing Junior Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

somemorehockey

Playing Junior Hockey

Post by somemorehockey » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:03 am

I am interested in playing hockey beyond high school, with all of the options for camps/exposure tournaments, and tryouts it has been very hard to determine what is good or not as good.
I am not a player who has people beating down his door to play, so I have to knock on some doors to try to make it happen. This is what I would like to do, so please no "if you can't make the USHL, you should just go to college" responses. I am not looking to parlay this into a D1 spot, but would like to play college hockey some day at a DIII level.
There must be some people on the board who have gone through similar situations themselves, or with thier son. Any advice on what to do, or more importantly, what to stay away from would be helpful. Some of the questions I have;
Do players at NAHL pre-draft tryouts ever actually make the roster, or is it simply a fundraiser?
What are some options to play Tier II in Canada?
If Tier III ends up being the path, what is the differance between the leagues? MNJHL, NA3HL, others?

Thanks in advance for your responses/thoughts.

auld_skool

Post by auld_skool » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:29 am

I have 2 pieces of advice:

1) Do some research and find out which NAHL teams have been successful in placing players in college at whatever level. Not all NA teams are created equal! Once you find the right teams, contact them about attending their tryout camp.

2) Instead of spending money running around to exposure events and pre tryout camps, get in the gym and get bigger, get quicker and get stronger. That way, when you get to the camp, you'll be better than all the guys that spent all summer driving around the country.

Lastly, good luck to you! You're only done playing when YOU decide you're done.

somemorehockey

Post by somemorehockey » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:51 pm

Thank you, these are the type of reponses I was looking for. Any more?