Interesting Article...

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

SuperStar

Interesting Article...

Post by SuperStar » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:33 pm

On leaving early for Major Juniors or playing in the NCAA..

http://www.letsplayhockey.com/online-ed ... layer.html

icehornet

Post by icehornet » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:08 pm

Definitely interesting but I wish they would provide a little more information on some of the numbers.

For example, MN had 30 players that went to the CHL and 4 have played in the NHL based on their criteria...that's just over 13%. There were 30 MN players that made it to the NHL that played college hockey, but how many kids total during those 10 yrs played in the NCAAs? If 230 or less MN kids played in the NCAAs then they can make the claim that "the best path to the NHL has proven to be NCAA hockey." But unless they compare apples to apples with those statistics it could easily be argued they are just cherry-picking numbers to fit their claim.

Will also be interesting to see in time how those numbers change for kids born between 1990-2000.

netminder.net

Post by netminder.net » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:43 pm

Definitely interesting but I wish they would provide a little more information on some of the numbers.

For example, MN had 30 players that went to the CHL and 4 have played in the NHL based on their criteria...that's just over 13%. There were 30 MN players that made it to the NHL that played college hockey, but how many kids total during those 10 yrs played in the NCAAs? If 230 or less MN kids played in the NCAAs then they can make the claim that "the best path to the NHL has proven to be NCAA hockey." But unless they compare apples to apples with those statistics it could easily be argued they are just cherry-picking numbers to fit their claim.

Will also be interesting to see in time how those numbers change for kids born between 1990-2000.
I was thinking the exact same thing as I read through it. One might think they didn't include those numbers because the percentages would not support their argument.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:12 pm

netminder.net wrote:

I was thinking the exact same thing as I read through it. One might think they didn't include those numbers because the percentages would not support their argument.
And even if they did support their argument, they're still comparing two very, very different situations.

The vast majority of these efforts to compare development models have way too many variables in play to be taken very seriously.

Also, I agree that the landscape has changed a lot in the past decade. I don't know all the details, but I don't think the USHL or NTDP (founded in 1997) existed as high-quality options during the time period they study. Who knows how that messes with the data.

If this article does have some value, it shows just how difficult it is to make the NHL, even if one rushes off to take the "best route," whatever that might be.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:06 pm

A couple other notes:

- Some Minnesotans born in 1989 (not sure if they included 1990 born players) were still playing college hockey at the time of the study but may still end up in the NHL (like Jack Connolly). This is true for junior players too, but they would have already aged out of juniors.

- Any of the other 26 WHL players from Minnesota who played in the AHL voided their education package.

- I'm sure there were more than 230 Minnesotans in the age range who played D1 hockey, but to be fair, the ones in the CHA or Atlantic Hockey would probably not have had the option to play in the WHL. So, apples to apples would compare the percentage who played in the WCHA, CCHA, HEA, and (I'll generously throw in) the ECAC.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:57 pm

And whether one does make the NHL or not, I'll take my chances that the ones that went the NCAA route are better equipped for the 85% of their life that remains.
Be kind. Rewind.

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar » Fri May 04, 2012 9:04 am

^^^ O-Town I think your are correct. I get this newsletter every now and then and they have a very interesting article on the NCAA....

"Canadian prospects like NCAA option better than CHL

This article was forwarded to us by a reader who said that he read it some time ago (in 2009) and thought it was quite interesting and relevant…..
We always just like to present information on this topic and let people decide on their own the relevance that it may have for them…. and so if you have any articles that you think others might find useful, please forward them".
by John McGoourty – NHL Staff Writer..

http://hockeyfamilyadvisor.com/2012/05/03/ (You need to scroll down the page to the 3rd article)

flatontheice

Re: Interesting Article...

Post by flatontheice » Fri May 04, 2012 9:35 am

SuperStar wrote:On leaving early for Major Juniors or playing in the NCAA..

http://www.letsplayhockey.com/online-ed ... layer.html
Too many times letsplayhockey puts out information that is "paid" for and not accurate from a journalistic perspective.

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Sat May 05, 2012 5:31 pm

icehornet wrote:There were 30 MN players that made it to the NHL that played college hockey, but how many kids total during those 10 yrs played in the NCAAs?
Perhaps I am reading this wrong, but the claim is only 30 MN players have played in the NHL by way of the NCAA the last 10 years? There were 20+ last season alone.