Ex- NHL'ers Coaching HS in MN

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

bemused

Ex- NHL'ers Coaching HS in MN

Post by bemused »

By my count we are up at to least four former NHL'ers coaching HS hockey in MN. They are

Housley- Stillwater
Roberts -Elk River
Giles - Edina
Podein- St. Louis Park

I am sure are I am missing somebody..if you of know more please add.

You have to love the fact these guys are are willing to give something back to the game..a thankless job, for no money ands lots of hours..let's see ..how many MLB, NBA or NFL guys are coaching HS in MN now that Bollinger's gone?
UpNorthMom

Post by UpNorthMom »

Bryan Erickson - assistant coach in Roseau
rudy

Post by rudy »

Last edited by rudy on Tue May 08, 2012 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bemused

Post by bemused »

Gotta like his resume but he never played in the NHL
InTheKnow

Post by InTheKnow »

Tim Berglund - TRF

Don't kid yourself, these guys may not get paid big money from the schools, but they make plenty of cash running clinics in the off season.
Survey

Post by Survey »

Brian Urick - Minnetonka

Played in the AHL but I figured I'd throw it on here.
edgeUcated

Post by edgeUcated »

Dave Snuggerud = Chaska
ref101

Post by ref101 »

edgeUcated wrote:Dave Snuggerud = Chaska
The infamous, Craig Norwich (East Ridge)... :lol:
warriors41

Re: Ex- NHL'ers Coaching HS in MN

Post by warriors41 »

bemused wrote:By my count we are up at to least four former NHL'ers coaching HS hockey in MN. They are

Housley- Stillwater
Roberts -Elk River
Giles - Edina
Podein- St. Louis Park

I am sure are I am missing somebody..if you of know more please add.

You have to love the fact these guys are are willing to give something back to the game..a thankless job, for no money ands lots of hours..let's see ..how many MLB, NBA or NFL guys are coaching HS in MN now that Bollinger's gone?

I actually think that a football coach at Waconia used to play in the NFL. But either way, it is a meaningless statistic since MN has so many more NHL alumni than other sports. And I'd also be willing to bet that across all sports you see retired pro athletes volunteer their time to help out at the youth level at least since so many high school coaches are also teachers. I agree that it is fantastic that after their careers they come back and coach high school but let's not think that being humble is only limited to athletes that wear skates.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

I agree Brian Raabe [ex Twin] coached FL for ten years.
Iceburg

Post by Iceburg »

Shawn Chambers at Northern Lakes
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

Reed Larson- Virginia
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

What about A. Broten, in Roseau ?
mngopherfan

Post by mngopherfan »

edgeless2 wrote:Reed Larson- Virginia
Different Reed Larson.
UpNorthMom

Post by UpNorthMom »

Aaron Broten was recently an assistant coach for the high school team but stepped down about a year ago. He has been head coach in the past and also coached the Bantams. Very lucky to have people like him willing to devote their time and energy to the program.
TheSiouxSuck

Post by TheSiouxSuck »

Throw Jim Archibald at brainerd in there. However comparing ex-NHLers coaching HS to ex-NFLers coaching HS is so skewed when comparing the number of NHLers our state produces compared to NFL players.

I'm sure in Texas, where former NFL players coaching high school is common (as far as standards for ex professionals teaching high schoolers can be considered) they could say the same thing about how NFL players are so great for giving back to the game and hockey players suck because no former NHLer coaches HS hockey in Texas.
xy

Post by xy »

Good for all of those guys who are giving back to the game. For some of these guys what helps is how much money pro athletes make these days; many of them do not need to work after their playing days, and they have the time available to get into coaching.

Also, having high school coaches, in any sport, who aren't also teachers is a fairly recent development; 20 or 30 years ago I don't think you ever saw that.