High School Recruiting

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Recruting

Yes, it's okay
36%
No, it's not okay
64%

Total votes: 33

transferprobs

High School Recruiting

Post by transferprobs »

I want to know what people think of high school coaches (mainly private schools) on recruiting like what they do and how they do it? and is it right or wrong that they do this?
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Duluth East is the only high school that recruits hockey players.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ripping1

Post by ripping1 »

It is not only private schools look at Thie and Hurley.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Not sure if this tells us much, but atleast its a little insight to how MN athletes (not just Hockey) feel about transfering/recruiting:

Minnesota State High School League
Listening to Students Survey Results

In the fall of 2008, more than 5000 students from around the state completed the Listening to Students survey, a survey that is conducted every four to eight years. Some of the questions remain the same from year to year, while others change based on current issues and trends. Athletic directors from member schools were asked and encouraged to facilitate survey-completion by approximately 10% of their students who participate in athletics. They were asked to select a wide range of students, 9-12 graders, both genders, and not strictly team leaders or captains. Although schools were not required to participate, a wide variety of schools did participate: large and small, metro and outstate, well known schools in state tournament play and less frequent tournament visitors, etc. Following are the results of the survey, along with percentages and rankings for top answers.

44. Do you think athletes should compete in the community in which they live?
1525 (31%) A. Strongly agree
2179 (44%) B. Agree
313 (6%) C. Disagree
890 (18%) D. No opinion

45. Have you ever been asked or invited to transfer schools for the purpose of athletics?
735 (15%) A. Yes
4169 (85%) B. No

46. If yes to the above, who asked or invited you to transfer schools?
266 (35%) A. The other school’s coach
203 (27%) B. An athlete from the other school
154 (20%) C. An administrator or other personnel from the school
112 (15%) D. A community or elite program coach not affiliated with a school
30 (4%) E. Other

47. If the main sport in which you compete was cancelled at your school, what would you most likely do?
1448 (34%) A. Transfer/move to another school that offers the sport
1383 (32%) B. Stay at my school and play the same sport for a non-school team
897 (21%) C. Stay at my school and try out for a different sport in that season
530 (12%) D. Stay at my school and quit playing sports that season

I just took the questions #44-47 that pertained to this topic. There was 50 questions all together ranging from this subject to coaches/parents/Sportsmanship, etc..
dueling21

Post by dueling21 »

SuperStar wrote:Not sure if this tells us much, but atleast its a little insight to how MN athletes (not just Hockey) feel about transfering/recruiting:

Minnesota State High School League
Listening to Students Survey Results

In the fall of 2008, more than 5000 students from around the state completed the Listening to Students survey, a survey that is conducted every four to eight years. Some of the questions remain the same from year to year, while others change based on current issues and trends. Athletic directors from member schools were asked and encouraged to facilitate survey-completion by approximately 10% of their students who participate in athletics. They were asked to select a wide range of students, 9-12 graders, both genders, and not strictly team leaders or captains. Although schools were not required to participate, a wide variety of schools did participate: large and small, metro and outstate, well known schools in state tournament play and less frequent tournament visitors, etc. Following are the results of the survey, along with percentages and rankings for top answers.

44. Do you think athletes should compete in the community in which they live?
1525 (31%) A. Strongly agree
2179 (44%) B. Agree
313 (6%) C. Disagree
890 (18%) D. No opinion

45. Have you ever been asked or invited to transfer schools for the purpose of athletics?
735 (15%) A. Yes
4169 (85%) B. No

46. If yes to the above, who asked or invited you to transfer schools?
266 (35%) A. The other school’s coach
203 (27%) B. An athlete from the other school
154 (20%) C. An administrator or other personnel from the school
112 (15%) D. A community or elite program coach not affiliated with a school
30 (4%) E. Other

47. If the main sport in which you compete was cancelled at your school, what would you most likely do?
1448 (34%) A. Transfer/move to another school that offers the sport
1383 (32%) B. Stay at my school and play the same sport for a non-school team
897 (21%) C. Stay at my school and try out for a different sport in that season
530 (12%) D. Stay at my school and quit playing sports that season

I just took the questions #44-47 that pertained to this topic. There was 50 questions all together ranging from this subject to coaches/parents/Sportsmanship, etc..
SuperStar, do you have a link to the full survey? Great stuff...
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Dueling, Thanks. Hopefully this link will work....It will take you right to a word doc download and just need to open the document..

www.mshsl.org/mshsl/news/ListeningFull.doc
wishiwasfishingguy

Post by wishiwasfishingguy »

My post to a similar topic "Moving to MN" on the youth forum may hold true here as well????

puckstopper,

heck, why not just move to Warroad and live at the Warroad Estates? Marina right there for Lake of the Woods fishing, golf course and airport across the highway...if he's good I'd bet Marvin's would fly you for free to Minneapolis to catch your connection...free ice time, and your son would fit in just like the rest of the team that moved to Warroad in the last couple years.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

elliott70 wrote:Duluth East is the only high school that recruits hockey players. :lol:
:lol: Shh, it's a secret. No one's supposed to know.

Actual text of MSHSL Bylaw 308:

Unsolicited Solicitation of a Student Any verbal or written contact initiated by a representative of another school, resulting in the transfer of a student will be considered as asserting undue influence, for which the school may be publicly censured, removed from tournament competition, suspended from the League, or fined.

Though it was written before the current transfer rule came into effect, the book "Blades of Glory" has some interesting background info on hockey transfers (and I recommend the whole book, for those who haven't read it):

http://books.google.com/books?id=zHnmzZ ... es&f=false
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

karl(east) wrote:Actual text of MSHSL Bylaw 308:

Unsolicited Solicitation of a Student Any verbal or written contact initiated by a representative of another school...
Has "representative" in the context of this rule ever been defined? Kids talk to other kids, parents talk to other parents but as I understand it these situations fall under the realm of free speech, and in a free country are supposed to be protected rights. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the rule applies only to coaches and other paid staff of the school itself.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Everyone that I know that actually got "recruited" usually a booster club member was the person to reach out.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
karl(east) wrote:Actual text of MSHSL Bylaw 308:

Unsolicited Solicitation of a Student Any verbal or written contact initiated by a representative of another school...
Has "representative" in the context of this rule ever been defined? Kids talk to other kids, parents talk to other parents but as I understand it these situations fall under the realm of free speech, and in a free country are supposed to be protected rights. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the rule applies only to coaches and other paid staff of the school itself.
I'm guessing you're right, though it's hard to say. The entire rule is pretty vague. "Blades of Glory" mentions "pizza parties" put on by parents/kids of a school for potential recruits. Youth coaches, who are officially unaffiliated with any high school, also probably wield a lot of influence here. Enforcement of the rule is nearly impossible.
hockeyfan893

Post by hockeyfan893 »

In addition the the horribly constructed phrasing, spelling, and grammar, the original poster's post lies on the faulty assumption that high school coaches actually "recruit", in the traditional sense of the word, high school hockey players.

There is a huge difference between "recruiting" like the NCAA does, and the "influence" that other players and parents have on swaying people's opinions of which school to choose.

Further, it is my belief that the top hockey schools simply get the best players out of reputation, not recruiting. Like the old adage goes, "You have to have money to make money," (think of an investment situation). Schools with years upon years of history and success, like Hill, Benilde, Duluth, Edina, etc. will simply attract more high quality players, with no "recruitment" necessary.
observer

Post by observer »

I agree hockeyfan893.

I think the only recruiting is done by the players parents. The parents like to say their player is being recruited by a particular school when really they should say, we're considering enrolling our student at school x.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

ripping1 wrote:It is not only private schools look at Thie and Hurley.
So you were in on said recruiting?
hshockeyfan8

Post by hshockeyfan8 »

Superstar, I heard rumors about a month ago about a couple transfers to Eden Prairie possibly. Any truth in this that you've heard?
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

I think I heard the same thing, but after checking around with a couple people, those are false - will not happen.
Wasilla

Post by Wasilla »

hshockeyfan8 wrote:Superstar, I heard rumors about a month ago about a couple transfers to Eden Prairie possibly. Any truth in this that you've heard?
Isnt it the other way around? Varsity leaving EP to go to private?
hshockeyfan8

Post by hshockeyfan8 »

I haven't heard anything about that, but I haven't talked to any EP folk for about a month.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

hockeyfan893 wrote:
Further, it is my belief that the top hockey schools simply get the best players out of reputation, not recruiting. Like the old adage goes, "You have to have money to make money," (think of an investment situation). Schools with years upon years of history and success, like Hill, Benilde, Duluth, Edina, etc. will simply attract more high quality players, with no "recruitment" necessary.
Nothing succeeds like success.
Bandy

Post by Bandy »

I think the rule is fine as written. No coaches or paid school staff should be recruiting.

Friends, parents, booster clubs? No problem.

Having said that, I'm not a fan of "empire building" when it comes to youth and high school sports. Kids can have a quality experience in their hometown, without turning sports into such a big deal.