Andrew Commers

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

gray5

Andrew Commers

Post by gray5 »

Does anybody know if he has recieved any D1 offers? if not is any NA or USHL looking at him. Solid player IMHO and he had a huge state tourney last march for STA. Plus he also plays in the ELITE league.
The Best in the Bizz3

Post by The Best in the Bizz3 »

I am not sure how he is in the classroom, but yes I agree, he is a great player. Very strong, and plays hockey the right way imo. I have heard speculation about St. John's but I definately believe he could pursue a junior career in either the NAHL or USHL next year.
The best, period
The Talon

Post by The Talon »

His dad told me he was looking a SJU. Another STA parent told me they can't believe he hasn't got a look in juniors or DI
gray5

Post by gray5 »

Ok thanks for the info. Seems like a good kid with good character. Best wishes to him.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Kids a beast. I would hope too he would get some USHL looks at the very least.
rainier

Post by rainier »

Hard to believe he's not at least on the USHL radar. He looks like the fastest skater out there almost every time I've seen him play. Speed like that has to be worth something, doesn't it?
observer

Post by observer »

Points are down a bit this year but a very good player.

Could probably be another topic but.

It seems like a confusing process to me. 5-6-10 players have signed verbal letters with D1 schools but that's it. Several of the few aren’t even seniors. We also know that doesn't mean a lot as they still have to get to the school, in a year or two, and make the team. But, with all the other schools and all the other good MN players why haven't more kids at least made verbal commitments or signed an actual letter of intent? Wouldn’t you think most senior Elite League players would be in that boat? And, it's only Minnesota, Wisconsin, ND and Duluth that have signed some top MN high school players and not the other over 50 Division 1 programs. I've heard they scout 20 year olds in the junior leagues but wouldn't you think some of the schools would at least start dialogue and get a non-binding verbal agreement? From there they’d be involved in junior league discussions regarding where they’d like a player to try out for a junior team. I haven't heard much about Mankato or St. Cloud State commitments? Are they entirely focused on junior league recruiting? All the other D1 schools, nothing? Are their pipelines already containing too many players? Has respect for MN High School hockey fallen that far? Interesting stuff.
money

Commers

Post by money »

Good morning,

Remember that Commers participated in the Select 17's last summer in Rochester, NY. I am little shocked that he would go straight D-III at SJU. Unelss, he wants to start school and get on with life. That is his decision I guess. Reminds me of Jake Sampson from Edina last year...I don't believe he went on to play junior hockey and is in school at the U of M.

If Commers really wants to stay with hockey...i think he can play at the next level somewhere. Plays hard and hustles. Those are the characteristics I see when I watch him play.

$$
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

I follow recruiting fairly close, but not as much as others like Gopher Blog. I'll take a crack and answering a few of your questions.
observer wrote:Points are down a bit this year but a very good player.

Could probably be another topic but.

It seems like a confusing process to me. 5-6-10 players have signed verbal letters with D1 schools but that's it.
Can't sign a verbal, but I get your point.
observer wrote:Several of the few aren’t even seniors. We also know that doesn't mean a lot as they still have to get to the school, in a year or two, and make the team. But, with all the other schools and all the other good MN players why haven't more kids at least made verbal commitments or signed an actual letter of intent?
Few of them have offers outstanding. You can't commit if a school hasn't offered you a scholarship (or at least) a roster spot.
observer wrote:Wouldn’t you think most senior Elite League players would be in that boat?
Not necessarily. Hockey development is measured both by trend and by accumulation of evidence. Some players have displayed enough evidence (and I'm talking tools, not stats), while others are trending towards D1 skill level. D1 coaches have different tipping points for evidence, and when they've seen enough, they make the offer. Also, the D1 coaches have their own specific needs to fill, so not everybody will get looks from every school.
observer wrote:And, it's only Minnesota, Wisconsin, ND and Duluth that have signed some top MN high school players and not the other over 50 Division 1 programs.
Actually, of the 20 HS players currently committed, 12 are not going to the four schools you mentioned.
observer wrote:I've heard they scout 20 year olds in the junior leagues but wouldn't you think some of the schools would at least start dialogue and get a non-binding verbal agreement?
D1 coaches pretty much consider verbal commitments binding. If they didn't they'd get a reputation as a liar, and nobody would commit to them.
observer wrote:I haven't heard much about Mankato or St. Cloud State commitments? Are they entirely focused on junior league recruiting?
I can't speak for Mankato, but SCSU offered scholarships to at least four of the 20 committed players. They only landed one of the four.
observer wrote:Has respect for MN High School hockey fallen that far? Interesting stuff.
Not at all. Minnesota still leads the nation in D1 recruits by a wide margin. It's all about reaching that tipping point of evidence for coaches to offer the scholarship. Running up numbers in HS doesn't provide as much evidence as succeeding in the USHL.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Well said Exlied One. Well said.
observer

Post by observer »

Thank you sir. I was just throwing some stuff out there and I appreciate your knowledgeable reply.

But, only 11 seniors in Minnesota have made D1 commitments and that is to 10 different schools. That leaves over 40 D1 schools that haven't signed any Minnesotans. Probably leaves 30-40 outstanding senior hockey players wondering what's up.

How does a kid know if they should go play juniors if they haven't heard from a college coach?

How does a kid know if they should skip attending school and give it a shot without some discussion, assurances, from a D1 program? We know the junior leagues, businesses, need bodies to support their business model. Are kids taking their advice? Have colleges asked junior leagues to play that role?

Because hockey is the only sport that does this is soccer (insert any other sport here) a better track to get your kid to college at 18?

And, back to Commers, (and I know it’s a rumor so the discussion could be about any senior considering playing DIII hockey) has the SJ coach told him he'll play next year or needs a year or two in juniors? Most of their roster, along with all other DIII program rosters, have played junior hockey.

And, why not, this is an interesting discussion, why aren’t more eastern schools (the Princeton and Dartmouth singings are often heavily academic related) signing more Minnesota players.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

observer wrote:Thank you sir. I was just throwing some stuff out there and I appreciate your knowledgeable reply.

But, only 11 seniors in Minnesota have made D1 commitments and that is to 10 different schools. That leaves over 40 D1 schools that haven't signed any Minnesotans. Probably leaves 30-40 outstanding senior hockey players wondering what's up.

How does a kid know if they should go play juniors if they haven't heard from a college coach?
Why wouldn't they play juniors? I imagine most will want to continue to play a the highest level they can. If they can, they should try to get into the USHL or NAHL. If they can't, they should try to get onto a DIII roster.
observer wrote:How does a kid know if they should skip attending school and give it a shot without some discussion, assurances, from a D1 program?
They shouldn't skip attending school. If they're smart, they'll take classes part time. That won't start their NCAA clocks running.
observer wrote:We know the junior leagues, businesses, need bodies to support their business model. Are kids taking their advice? Have colleges asked junior leagues to play that role?
Most Junior A leagues know that pre-college players are their bread and butter, so they work pretty well with both players and colleges.
observer wrote:Because hockey is the only sport that does this is soccer (insert any other sport here) a better track to get your kid to college at 18?
At 18, yes. A better chance at a scholarship, no. From this state, hockey is most likely to earn you a D1 scholarship.
observer wrote:And, why not, this is an interesting discussion, why aren’t more eastern schools (the Princeton and Dartmouth singings are often heavily academic related) signing more Minnesota players.
Eastern players are simply more interested in playing at eastern colleges. I'm surprised Minnesota sends as many players to the Ivies as it does!
observer

Post by observer »

observer wrote:
How does a kid know if they should skip attending school and give it a shot without some discussion, assurances, from a D1 program?

Exiled One wrote:
They shouldn't skip attending school. If they're smart, they'll take classes part time. That won't start their NCAA clocks running.

College in Muskegon? Dubuque? And, even if there is a college in the town is that what most players hoping to play college hockey, DI or DIII, do? Is there time for that?
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

observer wrote:College in Muskegon? Dubuque?
Most areas have a community college nearby, and if they don't, they can take classes online through any number of institutions.
observer wrote:And, even if there is a college in the town is that what most players hoping to play college hockey, DI or DIII, do? Is there time for that?
It's very common, yes.
UND

Post by UND »

If he spends some time in juniors - he will play D1. Unfortunately, that is the price most players have to pay to play D1
wicked slappaahs

Andrew Commers

Post by wicked slappaahs »

Commers has committed to RPI (ECAC) --joining former STA teammate Zach Scroeder. Commers reportedly visited RPI last month.
Sats81

Re: Andrew Commers

Post by Sats81 »

wicked slappaahs wrote:Commers has committed to RPI (ECAC) --joining former STA teammate Zach Scroeder. Commers reportedly visited RPI last month.
Nice to see. Good hockey player.
woodley

Post by woodley »

. . . and more important to 95% of the players at RPI, it is a fantastic school for the sciences!!

Best of luck to this young man.