Armstrong Falcons hire new coach

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Falconhockey19

Armstrong Falcons hire new coach

Post by Falconhockey19 »

Dan Charleston was just hired as the new head hockey coach for the falcons. He was a former BSM assistant coach and played D1 hockey at Nebraska-Omaha and played in the AHL up until last winter.

Thoughts on this??
minnscout

Post by minnscout »

Very nice hire. Danny did a great job with the Benilde forwards last year. Tough to keep the top players to stay @ Armstrong.
SilverStick

Post by SilverStick »

It's pretty sad that no one cares to respond about a program that has produced more NHL players than any other hiring a new coach.
Bonehead

Post by Bonehead »

It'll be fun to watch! Hope he can pull the program up a bit.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

SilverStick wrote:It's pretty sad that no one cares to respond about a program that has produced more NHL players than any other hiring a new coach.
Is this serious? Leopold? Who else?
Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 »

Sats81 wrote:
SilverStick wrote:It's pretty sad that no one cares to respond about a program that has produced more NHL players than any other hiring a new coach.
Is this serious? Leopold? Who else?
Not sure it is the most, but it is a rather impressive list:

Jordan Leopold
Todd Richards
Travis Richards
Steve Jensen
David Jensen
Jim Johnson
Derek Peltier
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Eric Johnson ever play in the pro's?

This could be the best program in the state never to make it to the state tournament.
xy

Post by xy »

Dennis Vaske went to Armstrong and played in the NHL also. And I don't know if he had NHL potential as he was pretty small, but Mark Merila put up huge numbers in high school before he concentrated on baseball at the U.

Not only did they never make it to state, I'm pretty sure they only made one section final (1985 - Todd Richards' senior year). That's what being in the same section as Minnetonka and Edina all those years will do to you.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

xy wrote:Dennis Vaske went to Armstrong and played in the NHL also. And I don't know if he had NHL potential as he was pretty small, but Mark Merila put up huge numbers in high school before he concentrated on baseball at the U.

Not only did they never make it to state, I'm pretty sure they only made one section final (1985 - Todd Richards' senior year). That's what being in the same section as Minnetonka and Edina all those years will do to you.
They also were in the 2001 finals in 4AA.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
paulsonj72

Post by paulsonj72 »

Tigers33 wrote:Eric Johnson ever play in the pro's?

This could be the best program in the state never to make it to the state tournament.
If is is the same one I know I don't think so. But he did play D1 college hockey at SCSU.
Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 »

xy wrote:Dennis Vaske went to Armstrong and played in the NHL also. And I don't know if he had NHL potential as he was pretty small, but Mark Merila put up huge numbers in high school before he concentrated on baseball at the U.

Thought I had heard that when Bruce Johnson was coaching, over his 30+ year career that they made it to the section finals 6 or 7 times during his tenure, but couldn't make it out. 8)
armhockey

Post by armhockey »

They were in the section finals in 85 and 2001. In 1987 they were #1 in the state and were upset by Edina in the semifinals. In 2001 they lost to Elk River. In the 2001 game both Armstrong and ER had numerous guys play college hockey. Armstrong had TJ McElroy (st cloud) Joe McElroy (wisconsin) Aaron Johnson (mich tech) Evan Kaufmann (Minn) Derek Peltier (Minn) Mike Zacaries (Mankato) and a few guys who played d3 Adam Setten, Brett Beckfeld. They have produced a ton of great hockey players!
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Pat O'Leary was a hell of a HS player (1998), great athlete too (baseball, football also) I know he played hockey at the U from 98-02, but think he may have tried baseball too?