State Tournaments to seed Top 5

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

almostashappy

State Tournaments to seed Top 5

Post by almostashappy »

MSHSL approves seeding 5 teams in all 2012-13 state tournaments.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/158510985.html

To which the cynics will say, "Why don't they just seed all eight like they've been secretly doing for years!"
Puckguy19

Re: State Tournaments to seed Top 5

Post by Puckguy19 »

almostashappy wrote:MSHSL approves seeding 5 teams in all 2012-13 state tournaments.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/158510985.html

To which the cynics will say, "Why don't they just seed all eight like they've been secretly doing for years!"
I don't believe they have, but I do believe they should. I see the premise in seeding 1-5 and making sure that the 4-5 matchup has some integrity; but why not just seed the whole thing. So a school is seeded number 8 ~ may not be politically correct, but I'm guessing seed 1-4 this year were surprised to find themselves playing in Minneapolis on Friday and Saturday. 8)
observer

Post by observer »

Lucky 8th seed wins Stanley Cup.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Why don't they just seed all eight like they've secretly been doing for years?

:wink:
rudy

seeding

Post by rudy »

karl(east) wrote:Why don't they just seed all eight like they've secretly been doing for years?

:wink:
exactly!
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

It does seem odd to seed 1-5 and not 1-8. On the other hand, it is an improvement over 1-4, and either one is a big improvement over a random draw.

Would a team feel worse being the 8th seed in a state tournament or being the 10th seed in a section tournament?
skipperj

Post by skipperj »

it doesn't take a genius to figure out who the 8th seed is. Just seed them all.
paulsonj72

Post by paulsonj72 »

skipperj wrote:it doesn't take a genius to figure out who the 8th seed is. Just seed them all.
There was no consensus from the coaches to seed all 8 so thats who they lisitned too.
hipcheck

Post by hipcheck »

Stupid! The seeding of the top 4 was good, but to seed only to the top 5 just doesn't make sense. Once beyond the top 4 they should seed 1-8.
seek & destroy

Post by seek & destroy »

hipcheck wrote:Stupid! The seeding of the top 4 was good, but to seed only to the top 5 just doesn't make sense. Once beyond the top 4 they should seed 1-8.
In order to be politically correct, I think they should never seed all 8 teams. I would only seed teams 1 -7 :wink:
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

I'm not against it, but I thought it was fine before. My issue always was the "random" draw when statistically, it was beyond random for the past 3 years in AA. I didn't care, I just didn't like the company line that was being towed.

In any event, I like the 1-4 just being seeded, but I wouldn't cry boo if they went back to straight section random draws. Reason being is that the quarterfinals have suffered for the most part since going to the seeding, minus an occassional nugget (East vs. WBL '11, the Thurs. night AA games this year). I like an awesome Thursday game. I feel the best game of the tournament doesn't have to be the championship and the championship doesn't HAVE to have the top 2 teams. People remember the '96 tournament for a different game than the title, along with '97 to a slightly lesser degree.

I like seeing East-Jefferson '95 on a Thursday night. That obviously wouldn't happen now with 1-5 being seeded, but I still don't mind seeing Edina-Grand Rapids '07. 1 playing the "top" unseeded team isn't a bad thing once in a while.
hockeydad

Post by hockeydad »

I guess I'm with Doc. I always liked the randomness of predetermined section pairings. It gave those first round games a little more suspense. You might have the best game of the tournament between Thursday afternoon. It worked great for so many years, and I wish they had stayed with it.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Just out of curiosity, I looked up what the first round games would have been if they'd kept the same rotation schedule over recent years:

Eagan vs. Maple Grove
Benilde vs. Edina
Moorhead vs. Hill-Murray
Duluth East vs. Lakeville South (Can't escape that one, can I? :? )

Blaine vs. Moorhead
WBL vs. Duluth East
Eden Prairie vs. Lakeville North
Edina vs. Eagan

Blaine vs. Duluth East
Edina vs. Roseau
Minnetonka vs. Hill-Murray
Apple Valley vs. Lakeville North

Hill-Murray vs. Blaine
Edina vs. Rochester Century
Moorhead vs. Cretin-Derham Hall
Duluth East vs. Eden Prairie

Cloquet vs. Roseau
Benilde vs. Woodbury
Edina vs. Blaine
Hill-Murray vs. Lakeville South

Burnsville vs. Edina
Roseau vs. Rochester Century
Grand Rapids vs. Hill-Murray
Woodbury vs. Blaine

By that measure, there would have been one meeting between seeded teams in the first round the past three years, and also one meeting between non-seeded teams. The first two years would have essentially been the same as a random draw--the four seeded teams would have played non-seeded teams.