Conner Valesano not playing HS hockey this winter?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

kniven

Conner Valesano not playing HS hockey this winter?

Post by kniven »

I heard a rumor that Conner won't be suiting up for the Greyhounds this winter. If this is true, where will he be playing? Other East players I've heard might be leaving early, but the Conner news seems to be most prevalent.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

i know his dad and he is a very smart guy so for sure he will move out of that soft league known as MSHSL.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Sioux Falls of the USHL owns his rights.
Hockey North

Post by Hockey North »

It is Sioux Falls and his HS Coach sent him packing. Nice.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

You mean Mike Randolph rubbed someone the wrong way? Lol.

He is a player that will be better off playing in the USHL next year anyway in terms of what it will do for his long term development.
kniven

are you kidding me?

Post by kniven »

I would want to come back to high school and win a state championship. If Conner is destined to make it to the big time, this winter in juniors or high school isn't going to change that much EXCEPT FOR when he's 45 years old, and he tells his kids and friends about his senior year at Duluth East winning a state championship or coming really close. He won't be telling his kids and friends how awesome it was to leave and play junior hockey and what special times he had with family and friends. Meanwhile his high school team wins the state championship. Whoa! Did I do that> Yea kids - i left to play juniors my senior year in high school and my lifelong hockey friends won that state championship that year, can you believe it. "Why did you leave dad?" Well son, i wanted to play junior hockey because if I didn't play junior hockey my senior season, I would have never never had the chance to play in the NHL. Dad? Yes son. Did you play in the NHL? No son, not even close. Sad, sad, sad.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Kniven surely has an easy time making other people's decisions for them. This is hardly the first time a player has chosen to pursue hockey in the USHL versus staying to play for the local public school. What if he thinks it'll be more fun?
Be kind. Rewind.
kniven

I want for Connor what Connor wants for himself

Post by kniven »

I just want what the players want and choose to do for themselves. Every situation is different. These high school hockey players...I have the utmost respect for all of them. My previous comment was me putting my 2 bits worth in the basket.
The Insider

Post by The Insider »

I heard he wanted to stay, but Randolph ran him out of town? Sounds a little like oh, Derek Forbort, Andy Welinski also comes to mind :lol: nice one coach.
rainier

Post by rainier »

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Forbort is doing "fine" at North Dakota? Granted, I don't watch a lot of Sioux hockey, but he sure had some less-than-fine moments in the WCHA Final Five.

That aside, best of luck to Conner. He's been a solid player for East the past two years, and it's no great surprise to see him go. Hopefully he represents Duluth well at higher levels; maybe then the News-Tribune will learn how to spell his first name. :roll:
siouxforce19

Post by siouxforce19 »

karl(east) wrote:
Forbort is doing "fine" at North Dakota? Granted, I don't watch a lot of Sioux hockey, but he sure had some less-than-fine moments in the WCHA Final Five.

That aside, best of luck to Conner. He's been a solid player for East the past two years, and it's no great surprise to see him go. Hopefully he represents Duluth well at higher levels; maybe then the News-Tribune will learn how to spell his first name. :roll:
Yeah, Derek's play really hurt the Sioux in the final five. He only made the all-tournament team... :roll:
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

siouxforce19 wrote:
karl(east) wrote:

Yeah, Derek's play really hurt the Sioux in the final five. He only made the all-tournament team... :roll:
Sorry, confusing my Xcel Center playoff games. I meant the regional final against Minnesota.

My point: of all the players who have left East early in the past 8 years, I thought Forbort stood to gain the most in terms of development from a year of junior hockey. The sky was (and is) the limit with him, but he had occasional mistakes and sloppy play that better competition might have forced him to correct. It didn't happen. (Not that I'm saying that staying in high school would have somehow made it happen.)
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

karl(east) wrote:
siouxforce19 wrote:
karl(east) wrote: Forbort is doing "fine" at North Dakota? Granted, I don't watch a lot of Sioux hockey, but he sure had some less-than-fine moments in the WCHA Final Five.

Sorry, confusing my Xcel Center playoff games. I meant the regional final against Minnesota.

My point: of all the players who have left East early in the past 8 years, I thought Forbort stood to gain the most in terms of development from a year of junior hockey. The sky was (and is) the limit with him, but he had occasional mistakes and sloppy play that better competition might have forced him to correct. It didn't happen. (Not that I'm saying that staying in high school would have somehow made it happen.)
I'd agree that Forbort hasn't been quite as advertised thus far in college given where he was drafted, etc.

He didn't play particularly well in that regional final vs. the U. Although a big part of that is he got fried on that highlight reel move by Nate Schmidt that turned into a goal for Matson.
1811puckfan

conner's move

Post by 1811puckfan »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:i know his dad and he is a very smart guy so for sure he will move out of that soft league known as MSHSL.
It was not his father's decision. Conner is the smart guy.
1811puckfan

ran him out?

Post by 1811puckfan »

The Insider wrote:I heard he wanted to stay, but Randolph ran him out of town? Sounds a little like oh, Derek Forbort, Andy Welinski also comes to mind :lol: nice one coach.
Oh my. Randolph wouldn't run a top player out of town. What sense would that make? Conner did not want to stay. This was purely an excellent choice on Conner's part. The first game of last years state tourney? Why would a good skater want to stay for that?
1811puckfan

agree

Post by 1811puckfan »

Sats81 wrote:You mean Mike Randolph rubbed someone the wrong way? Lol.

He is a player that will be better off playing in the USHL next year anyway in terms of what it will do for his long term development.
I couldn''t agree more. Just considering Jr.s made randolph lose it. CV made the choice based on what is best for his hockey career. Jr.s just offers so much more than what MR possibly could.
1811puckfan

spelling

Post by 1811puckfan »

karl(east) wrote:

That's so funny. So few people, including randolph could ever spell his name correctly. I also love how announcers pronounce his last name. And frankly, after his first 2 weeks in SF, he's real happy with his decision.
Gilmore Tuttle

Re: spelling

Post by Gilmore Tuttle »

1811puckfan wrote:
karl(east) wrote:

That's so funny. So few people, including randolph could ever spell his name correctly. I also love how announcers pronounce his last name. And frankly, after his first 2 weeks in SF, he's real happy with his decision.
Thanks for the updates, Dad.
EHSHack

Post by EHSHack »

Gopher Blog wrote:
karl(east) wrote:
siouxforce19 wrote: Yeah, Derek's play really hurt the Sioux in the final five. He only made the all-tournament team... :roll:

I'd agree that Forbort hasn't been quite as advertised thus far in college given where he was drafted, etc.

He didn't play particularly well in that regional final vs. the U. Although a big part of that is he got fried on that highlight reel move by Nate Schmidt that turned into a goal for Matson.
The injury at the World Juniors didnt help and up to that point he looked very subpar but his game seemed to really pick up the second half of the year, besides the obvious.
Go Hounds.
hockeydad

Re: spelling

Post by hockeydad »

1811puckfan wrote:
karl(east) wrote:

You'd be surprised at how coaches can butcher names. As a reporter I covered a five-year basketball starter, Ms. Basketball candidate, Division I recruit. For four years I followed what the coach gave me as the spelling of her first name. Finally, before her senior year, her mom asked me to use the correct spelling.