Leaving early for 12-13

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:32 pm

The Exiled One wrote:
karl(east) wrote:This article seems to suggest Jake Bischoff of Grand Rapids is leaving early...any truth to that? http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/ ... up/sports/
MNHockeyHub wrote:Bischoff, a 6-foot, 180-pound defenseman who has committed to play at Minnesota, was selected in the seventh round (185th overall) by the New York Islanders. He is expected to play his senior season with the Indians starting in the fall.
http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article/show/155585
Who are the Indians the story refers to? Not very politically correct of the Hub! :twisted:

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:06 am

Code: Select all

Class Pos Player              Previous Team   New Team
So    D   Jack Walker*        Edina           Victoria-WHL
So    D   Keegan Iverson      Breck           Portland-WHL
So    F   Paul Bittner        Crookston       Portland-WHL
Jr    D   Jack Glover         BSM             NTDP
Jr    D   Ryan Collins        BSM             NTDP
Jr    F   Connor Hurley*      Edina           Muskegon-USHL
Jr    F   Karson Kuhlman*     CEC             Dubuque-USHL
Sr    D   Blake Heinrich      Hill-Murray     Sioux City-USHL
Sr    D   Jordan Gross        Maple Grove     Green Bay-USHL
Sr    D   Michael Brodzinski  Blaine          Muskegon-USHL
Sr    F   Johnny Wiitala      Lakeville South Waterloo-USHL
Sr    F   Louie Nanne         Edina           Penticton-BCHL
Sr    F   Jake Guentzel       Hill-Murray     Sioux City-USHL
Sr    F   Vinnie Letteri      Minnetonka      Lincoln-USHL
Sr    F   Connor Valesano     Duluth East     Sioux Falls-USHL

*Some of these guys are not confirmed, but highly likely. My apologies if I'm wrong.
Any more confirmations on this list or additions to it?
Last edited by The Exiled One on Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

xy

Post by xy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:38 am

John Wiitala is a forward, not a defenseman.

And judging from his Twitter feed he is in fact leaving. Cue up another "why does everybody leave Lakeville?" thread, I guess.

wblhcky24

Post by wblhcky24 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:07 am

Guentzel and Heinrich are both gone
2012 pond hockey All Star

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:19 am

FYI, 21 players last year, 15 so far this year.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:13 am

Both Lucia and Guentzel sons have left high school hockey before they graduated. Is this an indication that development in Mn is falling behind?

mngopherfan

Post by mngopherfan » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:21 am

mulefarm wrote:Both Lucia and Guentzel sons have left high school hockey before they graduated. Is this an indication that development in Mn is falling behind?
The sky is falling, the sky is falling, ohhh my god Armageddon...

stpaul

HS Hockey

Post by stpaul » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:55 am

mulefarm wrote:Both Lucia and Guentzel sons have left high school hockey before they graduated. Is this an indication that development in Mn is falling behind?
This is not exactly a new trend. Top players have been leaving MN high schools early to play in Ann Arbor and the USHL for going on 30 years. Kids going to Western Canada is a newer phenominon. College coaches like Don Lucia and Mike Guentzel know better than most that the USHL is a better place to develope recruits (or sons) than another year of high school. There is no way high school hockey can match the junior leagues with 70 game seasons and its much higher and more physical level of hockey. Best of luck to both of them. Blake Heinrich will be at UMD in a year or two and I'd love to eventually see Jake Guentzel in maroon and gold. He is certainly the most talented of the 3 Guentzel brothers.
Last edited by stpaul on Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OnFrozenPond

Post by OnFrozenPond » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:09 am

Also, both of Lou "mr HS Hockey" Nanne's grandsons are leaving early.

But to answer your question. No it is not an indication that development in MN is falling behind. Lost in the who's leaving question are the number of boys that have an opportunity to leave for next year, but have chosen to stay in HS.

Sartellcelly

Post by Sartellcelly » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:20 am

Here is confirmation about Guentzel

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article ... r_id=32760

Sartellcelly

more

Post by Sartellcelly » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:37 am

And now Gross from Maple Grove and Wiitala at Lkvl S.

Sartellcelly

one more

Post by Sartellcelly » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:12 pm

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:38 pm

Most of the U18 midget teams in CA, IL, and MI are way less talented than their U16 counterparts. Why is that? Is it because AAA midget hockey is declining just like HS hockey? No, it's because the best players from the U16 teams move on to junior hockey, not U18 hockey. (Shattuck is an exception, of course.) Essentially, that's the same thing happening in Minnesota, just without the distinctive break between U16 and U18.

Only a handful of Minnesota HS aged kids are good enough to hold their own in the USHL (or even the NAHL, as long as we're at it). They have a choice to make... be the best in HS or switch to a steeper learning curve.

A larger segment of the kids Minnesota have the choice between HS and AAA, but the level is about the same, so very few make the switch. Some may still make the switch if they're unsatisfied with the level of competition on their team's schedule or if their coaching is sub-par.

Perhaps the largest segment of all are the kids who will never play past HS and are just thrilled to make the varsity team with a chance to play in the State Tournament.

It is what it is. As long as there is a higher level somewhere, a player is going to try to get there. Asking why kids would want to play in the USHL rather than HS is like asking why men would want to play in the NHL rather than the AHL. (Hint: it's not all about the money)

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:11 pm

Exiled, that's a real good post. Thanks for sharing, especially the comment about U16 vs. U18.
Be kind. Rewind.

Sartellcelly

another?

Post by Sartellcelly » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:54 am

Hurley next? That's the buzz.

The Exiled One

Re: another?

Post by The Exiled One » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:29 am

Sartellcelly wrote:Hurley next? That's the buzz.
He's already on the list with the asterisk, so it won't catch anybody off-guard. When a kid gets picked 3rd overall in the USHL entry draft, it's highly likely that he's already had that conversation with the USHL team that picked him.

Reg7

Post by Reg7 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:07 pm

wblhcky24 wrote:Guentzel and Heinrich are both gone
Heinrich is not confirmed yet...

wblhcky24

Post by wblhcky24 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:45 pm

Sounds like Lance Carney is leaving WBL not sure where to though
2012 pond hockey All Star

Lowstickside

Re: another?

Post by Lowstickside » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:53 pm

Sartellcelly wrote:Hurley next? That's the buzz.
You don't pick a player in the regular draft 3rd overall if that player does not intend on joining the team this year, IMO. I guess they could protect him for another year but I just think you pick a player that early who will likely contribute right away and take a "flyer" on someone who might not play for a year. He was not a "futures" pick where they can hold his rights for three years. My prediction; GONE!

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:45 am

Three more announced in the trib this morning, the USHL is making strides into high school hockey and I see no reason this trend doesn't continue and grow stronger. I've been a high school hockey fan for 45 years and its tough to watch what is happening. Its not the kids fault but the fact that the mind set of the entire game has shifted. The MSHSL offers most of these players very little in terms of development and its not difficult to understand why we are seeing more and more kids leave. Loyalty is a great concept but I'm not sure it really applies in most of these cases. The truth is that little by little we keep creeping closer and closer to the Canadian development model. The next 10 years should be interesting to see where this goes.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:49 am

Keep, wasn't the number of players leaving higher a decade ago?
Be kind. Rewind.

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:59 pm

maybe so but I don't think so. The number of options has certainly increased in that time and more so the proliferation of off season AAA hockey. Having just finished with two boys going through the whole process it seems that leaving is becoming a much more attractive option. My kids chose to stay but it really is getting difficult to fault a kid for leaving and following his dream. While I don't personally support it, I've come to accept that its a reality that I believe we are likely to see even more of. I'm a strong advocate for high school hockey but with the reduced schedule, new rules and the apparent lack of respect by NHL scouts it is easy to understand the move on mentality. As I've stated in the past...each kids situation is uniquely there own, its hard to really understand the choice without complete information.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:47 pm

According to this article, Kuhlman can probably be taken off the list:

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:33 pm

Where is Carney going ?? He was an average Sub-East D last year. This is starting to get crazy. A coach that could keep his kids would have a huge upside.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:37 pm

old goalie85 wrote:Where is Carney going ?? He was an average Sub-East D last year. This is starting to get crazy. A coach that could keep his kids would have a huge upside.
Seems like a lot of teams are loosing players, why do you want to blame the coach? I would say the blame lies with the MSHSL.