Moose Lake Hockey Arena Flood...

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

kniven

Moose Lake Hockey Arena Flood...

Post by kniven »

Anybody know if the Ice Arena in Moose Lake is useable this year. And where their youth program will have ice this winter. Thanks
SWPrez

Re: Moose Lake Hockey Arena Flood...

Post by SWPrez »

kniven wrote:Anybody know if the Ice Arena in Moose Lake is useable this year. And where their youth program will have ice this winter. Thanks
I go through Moose Lake all of the time to go up to the lake. Stopped by the rink today and chatted with the lady at the shop across the street. When the small river and Moose Lake flooded, the rink was first hit. It was upwards of five feet deep inside the arena. It appears the building, boards, etc. are all intact, but the compressor unit is fried. I would have to assume the Zamboni is not in great shape if it was in there when the flood hit. Without a compressor, the rink is dead. The building is being used currently for flea markets and there is electric services currently into the building.

They were considering expanding the rink last year and having a second, they are now talking about tearing this one down and rebuilding. Moose Lake, like many programs up north, have an outdoor rink right outside the indoor rink. Perhaps they will use that for practices and beg area communities (Cloquet, Carlton, etc.) for use of their indoor rinks for games.

This was an epic flood and the rink was not considered to be on a flood plain.
Wside

Post by Wside »

That's a tough deal for ML. A new arena with small to mid size seating locker rooms ect is at least $2.5-3.0 M Hopefully they can save the compressors and other equipment.
PWD10

Post by PWD10 »

Wside wrote:That's a tough deal for ML. A new arena with small to mid size seating locker rooms ect is at least $2.5-3.0 M Hopefully they can save the compressors and other equipment.
From what I have heard the thing now is to run with the insurance money if any and redo. The cost of freon for most of these rinks is going to go through the roof in the near future as they are not allowed to make it anymore and are limited to supply on hand for those that have it. Whether this is the case or not all I am repeating is what my AC guy told me.
SWPrez

Post by SWPrez »

PWD10 wrote:
Wside wrote:That's a tough deal for ML. A new arena with small to mid size seating locker rooms ect is at least $2.5-3.0 M Hopefully they can save the compressors and other equipment.
From what I have heard the thing now is to run with the insurance money if any and redo. The cost of freon for most of these rinks is going to go through the roof in the near future as they are not allowed to make it anymore and are limited to supply on hand for those that have it. Whether this is the case or not all I am repeating is what my AC guy told me.
Correct on the freon. That's why many rinks have done (Burnsville, New Hope, to name a few) or will do (Parade, VMIA, etc.) in the next couple of years. In 2013, the freon used by most rinks built in the 70's and 80's has been banned from being manufactured. Reconditioned freon will be the only thing on the market....and the price will go up and up as it becomes scarcer and scarcer. Buy reconditioned freon futures.....

Today's compressors and systems use a different kind of coolant to chill the ice.