Minnesota Thoroughbred tryouts

Please post all discussion of these items to this forum.

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

flatbottomv

Minnesota Thoroughbred tryouts

Post by flatbottomv » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:22 pm

The Minnesota Thoroughbreds tryouts are coming up this week. If you would like information go to their website at www.thoroughbreds.com. Their schedule is filled with great competition in the JWHL and open tournaments. The coaching is excellent. Players are put into an environment which will enhance their development. This team has been a great option for many players in the past. Ten of their seniors from last year are playing college hockey this year. Two former Thoroughbreds (graduates of UMD and RPI) are joining the coaching staff this season.

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Would the thoroughbreds make the top 20 lets play hockey rankings?

allhoc11

Post by allhoc11 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:38 pm

Tigers33 wrote:Would the thoroughbreds make the top 20 lets play hockey rankings?
Interesting question, I do know they turned down opportunities to scrimmage several top 20 teams last year with little or no explanation. They typically play a more physical game then most HS teams, but the program doesn't have the same talent it used to, and very few kids from top end programs choose this option anymore.

flatbottomv

Post by flatbottomv » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:16 pm

My daughter played on the team last year. I can only guess why they do not scrimmage many teams. They have a schedule of 70 plus games. Practice time is very important in preparation for league and tournament games. Scrimmages do not allow for as many skill and conditioning reps or situational practice.

14all all41

Tier I

Post by 14all all41 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:03 am

It’s actually simple not sinister.

High school teams are not registered with USA Hockey, they register with the Minnesota State High School League (MSHSL). The Minnesota Thoroughbreds are a USA Hockey registered team and are required to play only other USA Hockey registered teams. That’s one of the reasons the Thoroughbreds cannot play in the NAHA Tournament because it would impact their eligibility for Nationals.

USA Hockey has a much better insurance program than MSHSL. For insurance purposes, play includes scrimmages, practices, games and tournaments.

Consistently, the Thoroughbreds rank in the top 20 Tier I 19U teams nationally.

The JWHL is one of the most recruited leagues by colleges. This year, the league is being realigned in a north/south configuration which will allow the Thoroughbreds to play inside the US rather than their past heavily Canadian-location schedule. No high school team in Minnesota, top 10 or otherwise, would survive the physical level of play, extreme game schedule, and Canadian officiating with better results than the Thoroughbreds have.

19U Tier I teams are high skilled, high talented teams with many future college, national team and Olympic players on their rosters. If the adage, “You’re only as good as your competition,” means anything to you, then you’ll see it is far better to play a schedule of great competitors like NAHA, NSA, Washington Pride, Boston Shamrocks, NSA, Colorado Select, Balmoral Hall, Warner School, Edge School, Pacific Steelers, Notre Dame Hounds and Okanagan Hockey Academy.

SECoach

Re: Tier I

Post by SECoach » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:16 am

14all all41 wrote:It’s actually simple not sinister.

High school teams are not registered with USA Hockey, they register with the Minnesota State High School League (MSHSL). The Minnesota Thoroughbreds are a USA Hockey registered team and are required to play only other USA Hockey registered teams. That’s one of the reasons the Thoroughbreds cannot play in the NAHA Tournament because it would impact their eligibility for Nationals.

USA Hockey has a much better insurance program than MSHSL. For insurance purposes, play includes scrimmages, practices, games and tournaments.

The JWHL is one of the most recruited leagues by colleges. This year, the league is being realigned in a north/south configuration which will allow the Thoroughbreds to play inside the US rather than their past heavily Canadian-location schedule. No high school team in Minnesota, top 10 or otherwise, would survive the physical level of play, extreme game schedule, and Canadian officiating with better results than the Thoroughbreds have.

19U Tier I teams are high skilled, high talented teams with many future college, national team and Olympic players on their rosters. If the adage, “You’re only as good as your competition,” means anything to you, then you’ll see it is far better to play a schedule of great competitors like NAHA, NSA, Washington Pride, Boston Shamrocks, NSA, Colorado Select, Balmoral Hall, Warner School, Edge School, Pacific Steelers, Notre Dame Hounds and Okanagan Hockey Academy.
MSHSL boys teams play vs Shattuck, a USA Hockey registered team.

USA Hockey registered girls teams such as Little Ceasars and Assabet Valley, and Colorado Selects play in the NAHA tournament.

Are the Thoroughbreds in a different category of play?

14all all41

Good questions SECoach

Post by 14all all41 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:40 pm

Excellent questions SECoach!

Minnesota Hockey allows USA Hockey registered teams to play a limited number of events against non-registered teams with approval by their respective District Directors. One tournament would exceed the allowed amount. (The same reason explains why high school teams no longer play in youth tournaments.)

In recent years, SSM has limited the number of games they opt to play against high school teams.

The MSHSL now requires all outside teams to provide copies of their insurance policies as well, and has made their approval process more time consuming. The MSHSL also severely limits the number of competitions and scrimmages as well as the timing of these (no Sunday events for example).

In other states where teams are few and far apart, greater concessions are given to ensure these teams have adequate opportunity for competition.

Gone are the days of blanket approvals and handshake agreements. Insurance now drives this sport.

sinbin

Post by sinbin » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:31 pm

Does this mean that actuaries will one day inherit the earth?

SECoach

Re: Good questions SECoach

Post by SECoach » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:26 pm

14all all41 wrote:Excellent questions SECoach!

Minnesota Hockey allows USA Hockey registered teams to play a limited number of events against non-registered teams with approval by their respective District Directors. One tournament would exceed the allowed amount. (The same reason explains why high school teams no longer play in youth tournaments.)

In recent years, SSM has limited the number of games they opt to play against high school teams.

The MSHSL now requires all outside teams to provide copies of their insurance policies as well, and has made their approval process more time consuming. The MSHSL also severely limits the number of competitions and scrimmages as well as the timing of these (no Sunday events for example).

In other states where teams are few and far apart, greater concessions are given to ensure these teams have adequate opportunity for competition.

Gone are the days of blanket approvals and handshake agreements. Insurance now drives this sport.
Thanks for the explanation. It's too bad the Thoroughbreds can't play at NAHA like other similar 19U teams. It would be a nice chance to see how things stack up.......not that I think it would prove anything.......just some nice opportunities for competition.

joehockey

Re: Tier I

Post by joehockey » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:06 pm

14all all41 wrote:It’s actually simple not sinister.

So here is the field listed for NAHA Labor Day Tournament. Looks like either MN Hockey or the T-Breds don't want to look bad in Burlington. I bolded above the JWHL Teams playing at NAHA. The hockey and recruiting at NAHA Tournament is unmatched - great fun and exposure.

Day U19 - 2012 Round Robin

U19 Division I - 2012 Round Robin
Boston Shamrocks
East Coast Wizards
Stoney Sabres
W Canada Storm
U19 Division 2 - 2012 Round Robin
CO Select 19
Sudbury Sudbry
Honeybaked Hbakd
MN IceCats 19 MNIc19

U19 Division 3 - 2012 Round Robin
NAHA White
Nepean
Breakers U19
MA Spitfires 19

U19 Division 4 - 2012 Round Robin
Balmoral Hall
Bell Tire U19
Pittsburgh Pens
Polar Bears 19

U19 Division 5 - 2012 Round Robin
NSA
MN WCaps Black
Little Caesars 19
Bluewater Bluwtr

2012 Labor Day U19 Division 6 - 2012 Round Robin
Pac Steelers
MN Starzz Starzz
North Bay
Chicago Mission

2012 Labor Day U19 Division 7 - 2012 Round Robin
Washington DC Pride
Assabet 19
KW Jr Rangers
Ottawa Sens 19

2012 Labor Day U19 Division 8 - 2012 Round Robin
Buffalo Bison
Pitt Seals
MN Wcaps White
Edge School

flatbottomv

Thoroughbred hockey is a good option for some girls

Post by flatbottomv » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:45 pm

I posted the tryout thread to notify players who may be looking for a better situation than they may be in. Not all players can find what they need in their current program. I can only speak from experience, my daughter had an awesome experience with the team and the competition they played. The coaches are all volunteers and very dedicated to their sport. All the talk of avoiding scrimmages and tournaments is meaningless. They play many of the teams you have listed (15 of them plus Pursuit of Excellence, Shattuck,Notre Dame, Culver, and many more) in the NAHA tourney throughout the year. Five scrimmages with Shattuck is kind of intense. I don't think anyone could argue that they have an easy schedule and are avoiding challenges, which was suggested in earlier threads. I attended some of the pre-skate ice time and was pleased to see how many alumni players were able to take the time and skate with the girls getting ready for tryouts. As far as not having the talent they use to have. In my life I have never seen a team not have ups and downs in the win category or talent pool. Like I said before, it is a great environment to develop as a hockey player and a good option if you are looking for one.