What the Scouts said at the Super Rink Showcase last week

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

frederick61

What the Scouts said at the Super Rink Showcase last week

Post by frederick61 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:14 pm

Many may know the data in the story, but I hope that you find the information interesting. The story can be read at

http://youthhockeyhub.com/

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:42 pm

well done
Be kind. Rewind.

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:44 pm

"After talking about the process with the scouts, the conversation with some scouts would drift into general hockey talk. One question asked by YHH is what do you know about Minnesota Hockey, the organization? Most didn’t know it existed."

Interesting - Wonder why they could care less or have no clue about MH -- Do they view them as inempt or just dont give a crap?

WCHBlog

Post by WCHBlog » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:03 pm

SuperStar wrote:Interesting - Wonder why they could care less or have no clue about MH -- Do they view them as inempt or just dont give a crap?
Why would they need to care? Nobody at that level is recruiting bantams or younger so it's not really on their radar, outside of the selections for the national festivals.

It's also worth noting that part of the reason the NAHL got a little more attention than the Elite League from certain scouts last weekend is that it's pretty easy to see the entire Elite League any given weekend in the fall. It's not very cost effective to fly out to Corpus Christi or Fresno to only see two NAHL teams.

hockeyfan893

Post by hockeyfan893 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:49 pm

I found the analogy, "Moving from an NAHL game to an Elite League game is like moving from a rock concert to a funeral", to be interesting, at the very least.

I certainly don't feel that the Elite League is that far behind the NAHL, at least enough to warrant the use of such a dichotomy. The better Elite League games are very fast.

C-dad

Post by C-dad » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:03 pm

I wonder what DII schools where there since there is no more NCAA DII hockey.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:21 pm

C-dad wrote:I wonder what DII schools where there since there is no more NCAA DII hockey.
About 4 teams. Pretty sure Asumption is one.
Be kind. Rewind.

frederick61

Post by frederick61 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:07 pm

WCHBlog wrote:
SuperStar wrote:Interesting - Wonder why they could care less or have no clue about MH -- Do they view them as inempt or just dont give a crap?
....It's also worth noting that part of the reason the NAHL got a little more attention than the Elite League from certain scouts last weekend is that it's pretty easy to see the entire Elite League any given weekend in the fall. It's not very cost effective to fly out to Corpus Christi or Fresno to only see two NAHL teams.
Do not misunderstand what the NCAA Division I scouts were saying. They came to see the NAHL teams first. These players are the ones that the scouts believe offer the lowest risk to their program because they can see the NAHL players on the ice competing at a level near the college level. Because the NCAA scout sees potential candidates play 3 or 4 games on the weekend, they have little time to scout the other leagues.

I found it difficult to watch more than 3 or 4 games in a day. If a scout hit four games a day hard, he would see 16-20 games. The NAHL offers the most potential candidates, so that is where he focuses.

When it comes to the Minnesota Elites, the majority of the NCAA scouts have to decide where to spend their remaining time. Remember, the Elites are not only competing with the NAHL teams for NCAA attention, but with the NAPHL (which had both their U18 and U16 teams playing games) and HPHL.

However the NAHL and USHL scouts were scouting the Elites as well as the NAPHL and the HPHL.

greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:57 am

Now there is only Div I and Div III for both men and women. Div II was put aside a few years ago.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:49 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast-10_Conference

Grey, that's not my understanding. Has this changed?
Be kind. Rewind.

BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:36 am

greybeard58 wrote:Now there is only Div I and Div III for both men and women. Div II was put aside a few years ago.
There is still D-II Hockey, just no D-II Hockey Championship sanctioned by the NCAA. I believe there are five schools out East still playing at the D-II level. The D-II schools play a D-III schedule but are not eligible for D-III conference/National championships due to being able to award athletic scholarships to their players.