Northern Educate Hockey Academy

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

imlisteningtothefnsong

Northern Educate

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:16 am

One additional bit of information, the k-8 student/players do play for the association in which they live.
Last edited by imlisteningtothefnsong on Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

almostashappy

Re: Northern Educate

Post by almostashappy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:34 pm

imlisteningtothefnsong wrote:On additional bit of information, the k-8 student/players do play for the association in which they live.
Fair enough. But is the high school team trying to enter the MSHSL as a private school (with no state tax dollars supporting it), or as a publicly-funded "charter school"?

imlisteningtothefnsong

Northern Educate

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:54 pm

Private school. Achiever Academy

almostashappy

Post by almostashappy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:16 pm

imlisteningtothefnsong wrote:Private school. Achiever Academy
Thanks for the clarification...somebody upthread said that they were trying to gain charter school status.

Private school status makes it a lot easier to understand how Achiever Academy could enter the MSHSL, so long as the high school coaching staff wasn't involved in any of the on-ice or off-ice instruction during the non-contact periods.

Zamman

Post by Zamman » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:43 pm

The school will field a varsity program this year with the idea that they will be able to field a JV next year. The hockey program really pushes the skating, which is key as far as I am concerned. We will have to wait and see how they do playing against some of the high school programs. This is mostly hearsay and from what I have seen of the program. As far as the school aspect, I have no idea.

scorekeeper

Post by scorekeeper » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:23 am

imlisteningtothefnsong wrote:On the high school side, it is totally separate. It is named Achiever Academy, a private school. Some of the students train at Norhtern Educate the same as some kids go to velocity or HDC or whatever. Now come Nov. 12th the high school players no longer train with NE. They have their own coaches, ice times, and curriculum. Not all students at Achiever play hockey.

One very big difference - if you train in the off season with Velocity, it is not MANDATORY that you play for their hockey program. However, if you are high school age they will not let you train at Northern Educate UNLESS you commit to playing for their high school program, so pretending the two are seperate is disingenuous.

imlisteningtothefnsong

Northern Educate

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:54 am

I am not certain what disingenuous means... However I know there are high school students who are training at Northern Edge who will not be playing for Achiever Academy. I have been told they can try out for Eagan, but am not certain of how all the rules play out. I am not trying to share bad information, just answer some questions that seem to come up. I am not a lawyer nor an employee for the program. Just a dad with 2 average student/players.

almostashappy

Post by almostashappy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:20 pm

imlisteningtothefnsong wrote:I am not certain what disingenuous means... However I know there are high school students who are training at Northern Edge who will not be playing for Achiever Academy. I have been told they can try out for Eagan, but am not certain of how all the rules play out. I am not trying to share bad information, just answer some questions that seem to come up. I am not a lawyer nor an employee for the program. Just a dad with 2 average student/players.
District 196 takes a very dim view of parents who try to get their private-school or home-schooled students placed on public-school teams. So unless these high-school aged kids who won't be playing for AA are actually enrolled at Eagan High, I'm pretty certain that you've been given bad information...unless "they can try out for Eagan" actually means that "they can try out for Eagan Junior Gold A."

scorekeeper

Post by scorekeeper » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:33 pm

The guy in charge, Black, says different. He says high school aged players cannot train at Northern Educate unless they commit to playing for the Achiever Aces. This is not second hand. He told me this directly himself just days ago. Said that it being on the ice with his team - even before November 12 - would mess with their eligibity with their high school team. This was a completely different tune than he was singing a few months again but he is adamant now that players who will not commit to the Achiever Aces would be denied access to Northern educate training. he told me personally that doing so would mess with their eligibility. That things had changed. Straight from the horses mouth ( or maybe it was the other end. ;)

imlisteningtothefnsong

Northern Educate

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:52 pm

Well as I said before, I am not an insider, but just a dad. If you heard it from him, he would know. Every one has different opinions about all people, that is life. I can say that everything he has told me about this school has come true. For the hockey, but more importantly for my kids, the education. We are very pleased.

scorekeeper

Post by scorekeeper » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:58 pm

imlisteningtothefnsong wrote:I am not certain what disingenuous means.
dis·in·gen·u·ous [dis-in-jen-yoo-uhs] adjective not straightforward; not candid or frank; insincere; slyly deceptive or misleading

Representing Northern Educate and Achiever Academy as independant of one another is disingenuous (ala, your comparison to high school students merely working out at Velocity, which is truly independant of their high schools)

scorekeeper

Post by scorekeeper » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:01 pm

imlisteningtothefnsong wrote:Well as I said before, I am not an insider, but just a dad. If you heard it from him, he would know. Every one has different opinions about all people, that is life. I can say that everything he has told me about this school has come true. For the hockey, but more importantly for my kids, the education. We are very pleased.
This is most important and I am glad its working well for your family. I know personally a lot of very good people involved with the program. They are in uncharted territory, however, so very important that buyers beware. Seems to me they have more questions than answers right now and may get caught trying to have their cake and it too

Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:51 pm

Eating cake? I thought the discussion was on Northern Educate, not Edina :P

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:01 pm

It's been slow in coming but the slippery slope argument may have some merit.

There is a very high profile wrestler who attends school in Minnesota on-line from another state then shows up physically during wrestling season. It's legal but many question the ethics of such a system and those who allow it.

Maybe this hockey thing will work but my suspicion would be at the high school age and no conatct period the MSHSL has.

BP

Post by BP » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:34 am

What will their roster look like? Transfers? Also, who are they playing this year?

imlisteningtothefnsong

Northern Educate

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:00 pm

They will most likely all be transfers from somewhere as this is the first year for the team. Achiever Academy will be in Section 4A which has: Chisago Lakes, Henry Sibley, Mahtomedi, South St. Paul, Simley, Spring Lake Park, St. Paul Academy, St. Paul Highland Park, St. Thomas Academy, Totino Grace.

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:02 am

I heard yuro would double as the O-line coach for the football team.

imlisteningtothefnsong

Northern Educate

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:21 am

Come on now OG, you know he is too sensitive for football!!!

almostashappy

Post by almostashappy » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:55 pm

Big profile on Northern Educate/Achiever Academy in Pioneer Press:

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_ ... n-be-there

Quasar

Post by Quasar » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:01 pm

almostashappy wrote:Big profile on Northern Educate/Achiever Academy in Pioneer Press:

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_ ... n-be-there
Great article .. The more privates helping support Ice Areas the better.

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:32 pm

Bubba gets some ink Nice......

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:31 pm

I didn't realize Craig Woodcroft is involved. That explains the odd name Northern Educate.
Be kind. Rewind.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:38 pm

The article, picture and parent posters on here make it seem like it's a Boys Town of Hockey..... :shock:

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:06 pm

Watching the video, it looked like they had ten goalies on the ice. Were all these shots from the school?? Thats alot of goalie for the amount of kids isn't it??? Must have a great goalie coach.

imlisteningtothefnsong

Northern Educate

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:27 am

OG- the goalie coach is Steve Briere. He is a great guy with a nice resume. The goalies are very happy to be working with him. I think there are between 12-15 goalies at the school. Only on Fridays do they do full ice scrimmages and then they rotate. It was an interesting article, though if I did not know any better it would not convince me to send my kids there. Poor kid from AV gets a half page picture of him doing chores. But they do hold the kids accountable for their actions. Also, all the shots were from the school.