Our Annual 7AA Playoff Location Argument

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

slyer

Post by slyer » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:13 pm

the section final has been in duluth for at least 25 years and according to duluth fans there is NO HOME ice advantage, remember this is not there home rink it is 3 miles from there home rink so that is considered away for them. there is no other place that would hold all of the duluth fans, not st.cloud or bemidji, section 8 seems to make it work.

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:34 pm

Rapids seemed to do just fine in Duluth in 06 and 07. There really isn't home advantage in hockey like there is in a sport like football. Besides, give us a nicer arena than Amsoil Arena to host this event. I suppose we should have it in that crap arena in Elk River that doesn't even seat 2,000 fans.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

slyer

Post by slyer » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:50 pm

didn't say anything about having it in elk river, just want there to be no advantage for ANY team, correct me if i'm wrong but as far as i can remember this is the first year it's been played at amsoil. gr didn't have to worry about playing in duluth last year cause they were at home

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:48 pm

The Hounds have beat Elk River 4 years in a row because they were the better team, not because it was played in Duluth. Bottom line is the semi's and final should remain in Duluth forever.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:02 am

slyer wrote:the section final has been in duluth for at least 25 years and according to duluth fans there is NO HOME ice advantage, remember this is not there home rink it is 3 miles from there home rink so that is considered away for them. there is no other place that would hold all of the duluth fans, not st.cloud or bemidji, section 8 seems to make it work.
I agree 100%

slyer

Post by slyer » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:00 pm

east has been the better team the last four years, but the ONE time east played elk river in elk river they did lose, it's not right

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:41 am

slyer wrote:east has been the better team the last four years, but the ONE time east played elk river in elk river they did lose, it's not right
Wrong, playing in Amsoil Arena is a privilege! Real hockey fans make travel plans far in advance. If you can't get there Friday night and get a hotel or get your lazy ass out of bed early enough Saturday morning to drive then you are gutless!

ERPWA Hockey

Post by ERPWA Hockey » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:11 pm

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
slyer wrote:east has been the better team the last four years, but the ONE time east played elk river in elk river they did lose, it's not right
Wrong, playing in Amsoil Arena is a privilege! Real hockey fans make travel plans far in advance. If you can't get there Friday night and get a hotel or get your lazy ass out of bed early enough Saturday morning to drive then you are gutless!
This has nothing to do with making plans or getting out of bed, this is home ice advantage!!!

All section semis and finals should be played on neutral ice. East has had an advantage the last four years no if's and or buts about it.

rainier

Post by rainier » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:58 pm

ERPWA Hockey wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
This has nothing to do with making plans or getting out of bed, this is home ice advantage!!!

All section semis and finals should be played on neutral ice. East has had an advantage the last four years no if's and or buts about it.
Amsoil is not East's home arena; they play home games at the Heritage Center.

Calling Amsoil East's home arena is like calling Xcel the home arena of any HS team within a 20 minute drive of there.

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:04 pm

Rapids fans have an 80 mile drive and we aren't complaining. Duluth is a great city to visit. And it's an 80 million dollar mini Xcel we get to watch the playoff games in. I'm excited to see the games there.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:23 pm

I split this off from the thread about new playoff formats as it has ranged far off-topic.

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:28 pm

Well I'm in then. Had a great time in Duluth last year. One problem lost 8-7 to Andover in O.T. Not that bad of a drive for us. We enjoy playing those teams duing the season as well. Hastings is in our conference and it takes an hour to get there.[thurs night game/snow/traffic] Duluth 1.5.

slyer

Post by slyer » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:16 pm

well 80 miles will get you a little over half way there from elk river and as far as complaining, rapids fans didn't have to worry about that last year. duluth is a great city, do what section 8 does so no one plays in there home town

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:45 pm

Our place isn't big enough. Where do you go ?

Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:40 am

slyer wrote:well 80 miles will get you a little over half way there from elk river and as far as complaining, rapids fans didn't have to worry about that last year. duluth is a great city, do what section 8 does so no one plays in there home town
Change your moniker to "Sour Grapes". Home ice is largely irrelevant. The better team usually wins - and the Elks aren't.

jancze5

d

Post by jancze5 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:06 am

7AA, you could be going to the horsebarn at the state fair every year..be happy you're biggest issue is that a few teams have the horrible task of spending a few drives to Duluth with the oppurtunity to play at AMSOIL. For almost every kid in that 7AA final 4, those games on that rink are going to be the pinnacle of their high school career. I can't think of too many other places I'd rather play if I'm not one of the lucky one's that get's a game or two at the X.
New England Prep School Hockey Recruiter

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:24 am

Perfectly stated jancze5. And slyer yes, Rapids lost a bad game in the quarters, but who has more state titles between Rapids and Elk River? Who has more recently been to state? Irregardless of your pathetic whining, the 7AA semis and final are remaining at Amsoil Arena for the foreseeable future. I'm looking forward to the semi-finals being held in the evening in the coming years. I also look forward to going from my hotel to the starbucks downstairs and being able to take the skyway to the arena so I don't even have to step outside when it's freezing. What other section gets to have an experience like that?

DrGaf

Post by DrGaf » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:46 am

TheHockeyDJ wrote:Perfectly stated jancze5. And slyer yes, Rapids lost a bad game in the quarters, but who has more state titles between Rapids and Elk River? Who has more recently been to state? Irregardless of your pathetic whining, the 7AA semis and final are remaining at Amsoil Arena for the foreseeable future. I'm looking forward to the semi-finals being held in the evening in the coming years. I also look forward to going from my hotel to the starbucks downstairs and being able to take the skyway to the arena so I don't even have to step outside when it's freezing. What other section gets to have an experience like that?
I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that this is a great hockey experience... aaaaaaaaaaaand I doubt anyone will dispute the fact that you are way to wound up about this.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand tell me exactly how the rink in DULUTH is not home-ice advantage for DULUTH one more time for posterity's sake.

**please note the use of capslock to relate two seeming unrelated points
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.

rainier

Post by rainier » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:10 pm

DrGaf wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:Perfectly stated jancze5. And slyer yes, Rapids lost a bad game in the quarters, but who has more state titles between Rapids and Elk River? Who has more recently been to state? Irregardless of your pathetic whining, the 7AA semis and final are remaining at Amsoil Arena for the foreseeable future. I'm looking forward to the semi-finals being held in the evening in the coming years. I also look forward to going from my hotel to the starbucks downstairs and being able to take the skyway to the arena so I don't even have to step outside when it's freezing. What other section gets to have an experience like that?
I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that this is a great hockey experience... aaaaaaaaaaaand I doubt anyone will dispute the fact that you are way to wound up about this.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand tell me exactly how the rink in DULUTH is not home-ice advantage for DULUTH one more time for posterity's sake.

**please note the use of capslock to relate two seeming unrelated points
Would you consider it home ice advantage for Elk River if the 7AA final was played at an arena in Otsego? I wouldn't. Home ice advantage is playing at the arena you normally play your home games at. Now pay attention: EAST DOES NOT PLAY THEIR HOME GAMES AT AMSOIL, THEY PLAY THEM AT THE HERITAGE CENTER.

If you believe East has a home ice advantage by playing at Amsoil, then using the same logic, during state tournament games, whoever's school is located closer to the Xcel has home ice advantage.

:roll:

shooter803

Post by shooter803 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:28 pm

I have to agree - Amsoil is Not a home ice advantage since the Hounds do not play there on a regular basis. Lighting, livliness of the boards, wierd bounces off the glass those are the advantages a team gets used to when they play at a Home arena. Now dont think Randolph wont have a practice or two at Amsoil sometime during the season :wink:

DrGaf

Post by DrGaf » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:41 pm

rainier wrote:Would you consider it home ice advantage for Elk River if the 7AA final was played at an arena in Otsego?
Yes I would.
rainier wrote:I wouldn't. Home ice advantage is playing at the arena you normally play your home games at.

Home advantage contitutes more than a picture of your mascot on the wall.
rainier wrote:Now pay attention: EAST DOES NOT PLAY THEIR HOME GAMES AT AMSOIL, THEY PLAY THEM AT THE HERITAGE CENTER.
DUUUUUUUUUUUUH
rainier wrote:If you believe East has a home ice advantage by playing at Amsoil, then using the same logic, during state tournament games, whoever's school is located closer to the Xcel has home ice advantage.
Faulty reasoning. Metro area versus out state. One is not equal to the other.

As an example:
I would say in Edina versus Duluth East at the State Tourney, Edina would have the "home advantage."

Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:43 pm

I think the 'home' ice advantage comes in the form of driving from home to the rink, not an hour, not two hours, in the bus.

rainier

Post by rainier » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:54 pm

DrGaf wrote:
As an example:
I would say in Edina versus Duluth East at the State Tourney, Edina would have the "home advantage."

So, according to your logic, it's okay for metro teams to have home ice advantage in the state tourney, but it's not okay for an outstate team to have an advantage in the 7AA playoffs? Or do you think the state tourney should be moved to a "neutral" site?

The Xcel is the best place for the state tourney; Amsoil is the best place for the 7AA playoffs.

deacon64

Post by deacon64 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:33 pm

elliott70 wrote:I think the 'home' ice advantage comes in the form of driving from home to the rink, not an hour, not two hours, in the bus.
Have to agree somewhat, probably more a 'location' advantage.

8A would be home ice advantage for Thief River Falls.

FREDFLINTSTONE

Post by FREDFLINTSTONE » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:00 pm

It doesn't matter where the game is played....#3 will still get an interference penalty.. :lol:....or not