NA3HL

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Roy01

Post by Roy01 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:06 pm

cooper26 wrote:
BSUBeaver wrote:
Marty wrote:I will add to that.

D3 schools offer very little in the way of financial assistance to their hockey players. It is a shame that the current "system" forces so many kids into one or two years of Jr hockey in an attempt to just play nonscholarship D3 hockey.
I would disagree with this statement. Although D-III schools are not allowed to offer athletic aid, many, especially the "better" programs, have creative ways of getting their athletes academic and need based aid. It is a falacy to believe that since someone is going D-III, they are not receiving any aid.
That's a long standing myth that just won't seem to go away. People love to say it. It's just not true and, as noted, a violation of NCAA rules that NO school would risk for D3 hockey.
I know of a few players who received "academic scholarships" from their D-3 schools. They definitely didn't have the grades/test scores either.. If they want a player bad enough, they will find a way to get them in with aid.

cooper26

Post by cooper26 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:20 am

Roy01 wrote:
cooper26 wrote:
BSUBeaver wrote:
Marty wrote:I will add to that.

D3 schools offer very little in the way of financial assistance to their hockey players. It is a shame that the current "system" forces so many kids into one or two years of Jr hockey in an attempt to just play nonscholarship D3 hockey.
I would disagree with this statement. Although D-III schools are not allowed to offer athletic aid, many, especially the "better" programs, have creative ways of getting their athletes academic and need based aid. It is a falacy to believe that since someone is going D-III, they are not receiving any aid.
That's a long standing myth that just won't seem to go away. People love to say it. It's just not true and, as noted, a violation of NCAA rules that NO school would risk for D3 hockey.
I know of a few players who received "academic scholarships" from their D-3 schools. They definitely didn't have the grades/test scores either.. If they want a player bad enough, they will find a way to get them in with aid.
- No, it doesn't happen.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:10 am

Roy01 wrote:I know of a few players who received "academic scholarships" from their D-3 schools. They definitely didn't have the grades/test scores either.. If they want a player bad enough, they will find a way to get them in with aid.
I think these players are confusing academic scholarships with financial need-based scholarships. Either that or the story they're telling you is simply not true. And any D3 school that has a different need-based formula for those who play sports vs. the general student body is in violation of NCAA rules.

cooper26

Post by cooper26 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:54 pm

MNHockeyFan wrote:
Roy01 wrote:I know of a few players who received "academic scholarships" from their D-3 schools. They definitely didn't have the grades/test scores either.. If they want a player bad enough, they will find a way to get them in with aid.
I think these players are confusing academic scholarships with financial need-based scholarships. Either that or the story they're telling you is simply not true. And any D3 school that has a different need-based formula for those who play sports vs. the general student body is in violation of NCAA rules.
That's correct. People like to think they know about a kid's academic performance or what his test scores "had to have been". They don't. It's also a fact that need based aid and merit aid fluctuates a great deal dependant upon the school applied to and on financial circumstances and how they are reported. You just do not know the whole picture. And, again, - no way - would a school risk the NCAA sanctions for D3 sports. There is no incentive to do that at D3.