Top Metro Bantam A /AA Teams

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:12 am

He is on Edina AA roster.

Pinky

Post by Pinky » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:24 am

old goalie85 wrote:He is on Edina AA roster.
For now...

C-dad

Post by C-dad » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:46 am

Pinky wrote:
old goalie85 wrote:He is on Edina AA roster.
For now...
Indeed....

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:52 am

This is off subject, but what does Edina do if he leaves? Do they move a kid up from the A team? Then one from B1 a kid from B2 team? So on...so on......

Pinky

Post by Pinky » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:59 am

old goalie85 wrote:This is off subject, but what does Edina do if he leaves? Do they move a kid up from the A team? Then one from B1 a kid from B2 team? So on...so on......
Yes they would then in turn move a kid up from the A team. Some associates don't allow this but typically this is the case there. Take last year for example...they brought up a few players after Kaske and Newhouse left.

Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:39 am

Pinky wrote:
old goalie85 wrote:This is off subject, but what does Edina do if he leaves? Do they move a kid up from the A team? Then one from B1 a kid from B2 team? So on...so on......
Yes they would then in turn move a kid up from the A team. Some associates don't allow this but typically this is the case there. Take last year for example...they brought up a few players after Kaske and Newhouse left.
Jungels, Newhouse and Lawton left, Kaske stayed for the season - switched schools, but never left the Edina Bantam A team.

Pinky

Post by Pinky » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:49 am

Bluewhitefan wrote:
Pinky wrote:
Jungels, Newhouse and Lawton left, Kaske stayed for the season - switched schools, but never left the Edina Bantam A team.
Yes you are correct...mixed up kaske with Jungles and forgot about Lawton

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:39 pm

I didn't know he went to school there. I thought they just flew him in for games.

Puckstopper81

Post by Puckstopper81 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:10 am

Wayzata Bantam AA team is going to play an average '98 AAA hockey team this evening, Thunder AAA based out of Nashville, TN. Rosemount going to scrimmage Thunder tomorrow morning. Thunder played SSM last night and lost 7-1 and play them again this morning. Interesting to see how a mixed squad (97 & 98) fairs against a real AAA team and not one of those so-called money grab AAA spring/summer teams.

Hockey guy1486

Post by Hockey guy1486 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:47 am

After seeing Centennial last night during their tryouts........I would move them up. Going to be a VERY nice team!!

observer

Post by observer » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:03 am

Wayzata Bantam AA team is going to play an average '98 AAA hockey team this evening, Thunder AAA based out of Nashville, TN. Rosemount going to scrimmage Thunder tomorrow morning. Thunder played SSM last night and lost 7-1 and play them again this morning. Interesting to see how a mixed squad (97 & 9Cool fairs against a real AAA team and not one of those so-called money grab AAA spring/summer teams.
Not going to be close. First this is Minnesota, not Tennessee. Second, top Bantam AA teams, like the ones you mentioned are almost entirely 97s, Third, this team from hockey hotbed Nashville has bitten off a little to much playing Shattuck, Wayzata and Rosemount. A better schedule would have been Bantam A teams ranked 20-30. They'll be totally tired out and it won't be pretty. Maybe an ok experience for the country boys but I'll guess 7-1 four times.

Not seeing the Nashville Thunder in the rankings of 98 AAA teams.

http://myhockeyrankings.com/rank.php?y=2012&a=3&v=116

Maybe because they haven't played 5 games yet but some teams have played 20.

Pinky

Post by Pinky » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:03 pm

observer wrote:
Wayzata Bantam AA team is going to play an average '98 AAA hockey team this evening, Thunder AAA based out of Nashville, TN. Rosemount going to scrimmage Thunder tomorrow morning. Thunder played SSM last night and lost 7-1 and play them again this morning. Interesting to see how a mixed squad (97 & 9Cool fairs against a real AAA team and not one of those so-called money grab AAA spring/summer teams.
Not going to be close. First this is Minnesota, not Tennessee. Second, top Bantam AA teams, like the ones you mentioned are almost entirely 97s, Third, this team from hockey hotbed Nashville has bitten off a little to much playing Shattuck, Wayzata and Rosemount. A better schedule would have been Bantam A teams ranked 20-30. They'll be totally tired out and it won't be pretty. Maybe an ok experience for the country boys but I'll guess 7-1 four times.

They are called TPH Thunder.... Ranked 12th on that list

observer

Post by observer » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:14 pm

Off on my picks too. Looks like they beat Shattuck this morning 5-4 in a SO.

Puckstopper81

Post by Puckstopper81 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:26 pm

TPH Thunder is not unlike SSM. They have '98s from all over. Some are from Nashville, North Carolina, Atlanta, and a third of the team is from Florida. It really is hard to compare a team that recruits from a population of millions versus a team that pulls kids from a town of a population of 60,000.

IHEA

Post by IHEA » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:36 am

observer wrote:

Hey Observer how did 98 Thunder do against the mostly 97 all powerful Minnesota AA club, last night? I have no idea but regardless of the outcome you are going to look like a fool for your mindless prediction (7-1 blowouts) because you know nothing about hockey outside Minnesota. Keep your head in the sand fool.

observer

Post by observer » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:21 am

Probably know a little more than you but I was looking for a team called the Nashville Thunder not some collection of kids from all over the SE US. Whatever. Don't be a baby.

Scores?

Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:39 am

I'm still completely confused as to why a MN youth hockey site is dominated by 3 or 4 people from outside of MN who are constantly talking about all of the flaws in MN hockey and how teams from other places are better than MN teams.

Can someone shed light on this for me? Serious question.

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:49 am

Scores ? I think WBL has first Maroon & Gold game VS EP tonight.

Survey

Post by Survey » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:15 pm

old goalie85 wrote:Scores ? I think WBL has first Maroon & Gold game VS EP tonight.
Wayzata - 5
TPH Thunder - 2

Wayzata was bigger, faster and dominated all game. Don't think Thunder would have scored there 2 goals if Wayzata wasn't killing 10+ straight min of penalties in the first period.

IHEA

Post by IHEA » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:33 pm

IHEA wrote:
observer wrote:

Hey Observer how did 98 Thunder do against the mostly 97 all powerful Minnesota AA club, last night? I have no idea but regardless of the outcome you are going to look like a fool for your mindless prediction (7-1 blowouts) because you know nothing about hockey outside Minnesota. Keep your head in the sand fool.

Scores:

SSM 7 Thunder 1
Thunder 5 SSM 4
Wayzata 5 Thunder 2
Thunder 7 Rosemount 6

I didn't see a game and don't know the team. I do know the Thunder played Wayzata on Saturday after playing SSM earlier in the day. The bigger point which Observer already made is that the Thunder (country folk) is made up of 98 birthyears while the Minnesota AA teams (State of superior hockey steamrollers) are mostly 97s.

Not bad for a bunch of country boys aint ya think Observer?

Hey I'm a proud Minnesota native, but I'm not impressed with the arrogant, head in the sand, chest thumpers that are clueless about some nice things that are happening in hockey around the country and don't even consider how they can benefit or branch off of our model. Keep the arrogance out of hockey. No place for it.

edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:09 pm

Seems like the Thunder represented themselves well. Put together a couple of 97 all-star teams from Minnesota and it may not be as competitive. The SSM team is predominantly 98's.

dlow

Post by dlow » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:19 pm

IHEA wrote:
IHEA wrote:
observer wrote:
Hey I'm a proud Minnesota native, but I'm not impressed with the arrogant, head in the sand, chest thumpers that are clueless about some nice things that are happening in hockey around the country and don't even consider how they can benefit or branch off of our model. Keep the arrogance out of hockey. No place for it.
This above statement by IHEA is the definition of arrogance. Buddy, wake up, you make yourself into the fool by throwing out personal insults.

There is plenty of discussion here and really all over about youth hockey models in other states and people come to different conclusions than you about them. Because a person likes the MN model does not mean he is against reforms. I'm not high on the aa thing but I give credit to MN hockey for trying something different.

My personal suggestion would be to find ways to widden the base, bring even more kids in, bring back inner-city hockey. I think top enders already have plenty of challenges and opportunities. I'd almost really call that a non-issue. I've got no problem with allowing Tier I here or something similar, just don't think it would make a big impact other than on some pocket books and some parents obsession to keep up with the Joneses.

Drawing any conclusion from scores of a regional all star team against a few MN teams is pointless. I do think it is fun for our kids to face teams from others states though.

dlow

Post by dlow » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:21 pm

The top MN bantam teams are and will be the usual subjects (my take the the original thread question). I attended the A Bantam tournament last year and really any one of those teams could have taken the hardware. What really matters is who gets hot at the end, not October games.

A more interesting question is who will be the surprise teams at a given level and can they sustain the high level in future years.

Prior Lake was kind of a new big boy last year winning the A and B1 titles at Peewees. Will they build on that success or was it an anomaly. Who else is rising and why?

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:54 am

EP 4 WBL3 WBL hits the post W/six skaters w/a min to go !!!! I've been tolt WBL has injury problems!!!

IHEA

Post by IHEA » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:41 pm

IHEA wrote:
dlow wrote:
IHEA wrote: Hey I'm a proud Minnesota native, but I'm not impressed with the arrogant, head in the sand, chest thumpers that are clueless about some nice things that are happening in hockey around the country and don't even consider how they can benefit or branch off of our model. Keep the arrogance out of hockey. No place for it.
This above statement by IHEA is the definition of arrogance. Buddy, wake up, you make yourself into the fool by throwing out personal insults.

There is plenty of discussion here and really all over about youth hockey models in other states and people come to different conclusions than you about them. Because a person likes the MN model does not mean he is against reforms. I'm not high on the aa thing but I give credit to MN hockey for trying something different.

My personal suggestion would be to find ways to widden the base, bring even more kids in, bring back inner-city hockey. I think top enders already have plenty of challenges and opportunities. I'd almost really call that a non-issue. I've got no problem with allowing Tier I here or something similar, just don't think it would make a big impact other than on some pocket books and some parents obsession to keep up with the Joneses.

Drawing any conclusion from scores of a regional all star team against a few MN teams is pointless. I do think it is fun for our kids to face teams from others states though.
Just a little comeback for the high and mighty, ignorant insults Observer was throwing at the country folk.

Think we can draw some conclusions. I think its great to see how MN teams match up with the AAA teams too. Would like to see a lot more of it! Tennesse and neighboring states don't have a great hockey population OR TRADITION, certainly not with the scale of a Minnesota. If they can put a team of 98s together to dandily compete with some top 97 association teams from MN and even get a win against SSM that says a lot.

It also makes a statement about the level of hockey that our top 98 boys are playing compared to other 98s around the country. You may not see it but hockey has progressed in a big way around the country and we are just starting to see the impact of that system as it relates to producing elite players.
Last edited by IHEA on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.