Elite League Post-season

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Shinbone_News

Elite League Post-season

Post by Shinbone_News »

I see Shattuck-St Mary's has withdrawn from the Elite League playoffs, to be replaced by the Chicago Young Americans. It will be cool to see this Tier 1 AAA team up against our boys starting tonight -- but why has SSM bowed out?

Running away with their pride, having lost two and tied three in regular season play???

Just curious. Probably some other real reason, although I don't see anything else on their schedule for this weekend.

For all those cranks over at the youth forum who are always whinging about how Minnesota needs Tier 1 AAA hockey, these games provide some good perspective. Personally, I believe MN elite players can play with any Tier 1 AAA program, even when they're disadvantaged by playing on all-star teams with minimal practice time. Proof is in the pudding out at New Hope this weekend...
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

Before you get too excited, look at last year....
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

The playoffs were won by Team SE last year. Shattuck didn't compete in league playoffs last year either. Team from Omaha took their place.
Sartellcelly

postseason

Post by Sartellcelly »

So, why not have a team of Minnesota boys (i.e. the 94 Blades) rather than develop a squad from Chicago? Blades have beaten Compuware, Little Caesars and Honeybaked, just to name a few.
hockeyfan893

Post by hockeyfan893 »

Though Shattuck is not playing in the Elite League Playoffs, to the best of my knowledge, they will be playing in the Bauer NIT next weekend.

As to the reasons why they choose to do this, I have nothing but speculation. My best theory is that they use the weekend to recuperate, not travel, rest, and practice before the larger tournament next weekend.
pioneers

Post by pioneers »

I just talked to someone from the Elite League. They said Shattuck has another tournament that they play in this weekend.
Pioneers 1983, 1991 and 2008 State Champions
Iceburg

Post by Iceburg »

Shattuck sitting out this weekend and then coming back for the NIT tournament has been the status quo since the beginning of the Elite League. Midget teams have been the usual fill-ins. Team Illinois and the Dallas Jr. Stars have been the most common guests.
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

I believe SSM want to prep for the NIT. They are stronger on special teams than the MN teams. They have set power play and penalty kill units. MN just rolls lines and defense
Wside

Post by Wside »

Sartellcelly is correct. The U 18 blades would give any of the Elite teams more than they want. Why not play the blades vs bringing up up a team from Chicago?
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Wside wrote:Why not play the blades vs bringing up up a team from Chicago?
Are any of the Blades' players also rostered on any of the Elite Teams?