HighSchoolHockeyForums.com
The Largest Prep Hockey Message Board Community on the Web

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Elite League Post-season

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HighSchoolHockeyForums.com Forum Index -> Minnesota High School Hockey (Older Topics)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shinbone_News

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Elite League Post-season Reply with quote

I see Shattuck-St Mary's has withdrawn from the Elite League playoffs, to be replaced by the Chicago Young Americans. It will be cool to see this Tier 1 AAA team up against our boys starting tonight -- but why has SSM bowed out?

Running away with their pride, having lost two and tied three in regular season play???

Just curious. Probably some other real reason, although I don't see anything else on their schedule for this weekend.

For all those cranks over at the youth forum who are always whinging about how Minnesota needs Tier 1 AAA hockey, these games provide some good perspective. Personally, I believe MN elite players can play with any Tier 1 AAA program, even when they're disadvantaged by playing on all-star teams with minimal practice time. Proof is in the pudding out at New Hope this weekend...
starmvp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you get too excited, look at last year....
WarmUpTheBus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The playoffs were won by Team SE last year. Shattuck didn't compete in league playoffs last year either. Team from Omaha took their place.
Sartellcelly

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: postseason Reply with quote

So, why not have a team of Minnesota boys (i.e. the 94 Blades) rather than develop a squad from Chicago? Blades have beaten Compuware, Little Caesars and Honeybaked, just to name a few.
hockeyfan893

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though Shattuck is not playing in the Elite League Playoffs, to the best of my knowledge, they will be playing in the Bauer NIT next weekend.

As to the reasons why they choose to do this, I have nothing but speculation. My best theory is that they use the weekend to recuperate, not travel, rest, and practice before the larger tournament next weekend.
pioneers

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just talked to someone from the Elite League. They said Shattuck has another tournament that they play in this weekend.
Iceburg

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shattuck sitting out this weekend and then coming back for the NIT tournament has been the status quo since the beginning of the Elite League. Midget teams have been the usual fill-ins. Team Illinois and the Dallas Jr. Stars have been the most common guests.
WarmUpTheBus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe SSM want to prep for the NIT. They are stronger on special teams than the MN teams. They have set power play and penalty kill units. MN just rolls lines and defense
Wside

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sartellcelly is correct. The U 18 blades would give any of the Elite teams more than they want. Why not play the blades vs bringing up up a team from Chicago?
MNHockeyFan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wside wrote:
Why not play the blades vs bringing up up a team from Chicago?

Are any of the Blades' players also rostered on any of the Elite Teams?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HighSchoolHockeyForums.com Forum Index -> Minnesota High School Hockey (Older Topics) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: