Private School Trash talk thread

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

OGEE OGELTHORPE

Private School Trash talk thread

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:16 pm

Nut up or shut up.

HockeyGuy952

Post by HockeyGuy952 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:24 pm

Lets all rip on STA and Breck for being class A especially STA they have more guys then a lot of AA schools

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:48 pm

HockeyGuy952 wrote:Lets all rip on STA and Breck for being class A especially STA they have more guys then a lot of AA schools
Don't they have all guys? :lol:

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:10 pm

:lol: Well, I guess we're going ahead with this.

Some ground rules: please use this thread for any rant you may have about ongoing private school-related issues that always come up on this forum, or the defenses you may wish to offer of said private schools. Such topics include (but are not necessarily limited to): the presence of certain private schools in Class A, private school "recruiting", discussion over separate classes/sections/conferences specifically for private schools, and the merits of a private education in general.

I think I speak for many longtime forum members and readers when I say we all get sick of the million threads discussing these topics that appear every year. By confining it to one thread, we hope to cut down on these annoyances while still allowing everyone to have their say. If you don't like these endless arguments, don't bother reading this thread--and hopefully the rest of the forum will involve less of this.

New threads are, of course, welcome for discussion about individual private schools--their seasons, their games, any incidents or other newsworthy events that occur. This thread is for the more abstract arguments. However, if those other threads drift off-topic, we will move them over here, or simply delete off-topic posts.

Normal board rules and standards for civility still apply, but, as always, some healthy banter and back-and-forth is encouraged.

Have at it.

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:35 pm

I'll give this thread 2 days until its locked. Too many people within this forum cannot resist the urge to besmirch private schools and vice versa (public).

It's almost as bad as Democrats vs. Republicans, Red Sox vs. Yankees, Michigan vs. Ohio State, etc.

I hope I am proven wrong.

8)
The Puck
LGW

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:35 pm

This one should be a long one.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:02 pm

Have I told you guys the story of the clown handing out Hill Murray balloons/candy at the District 2 Mite Jamboree?

TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:17 pm

What's the purpose behind private schools anyway?

OGEE OGELTHORPE

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:24 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:Have I told you guys the story of the clown handing out Hill Murray balloons/candy at the District 2 Mite Jamboree?

:lol:

stpaul

Post by stpaul » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:53 pm

TTpuckster wrote:What's the purpose behind private schools anyway?
What's the purpose behind public schools anyway?

no5hole

Post by no5hole » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:26 pm

I for one have always been a private school hater. When playing in my younger days, they always scooped up the good players off your team. My feelings have kind of changed recently. Good players just as easily, and do regularly, open enroll (move) to other public schools where they think they have a better shot at whatever. With all this movement, it gives some kids that maybe wouldn't have a shot at their own varsity to make the team. I say bring in more private school teams, diluting the pool, more kids play, better for everyone. The one issue I have is when a school continues to dominate class A and refuse to move up (cough-STA-cough). MSHSL should look at those instances and force require move up to the higher class. Equally I believe they should also allow public schools that have not done so well to be able to move down a class.

Granttenn

Let STA Stay Where They Are

Post by Granttenn » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:41 pm

no5hole wrote:I for one have always been a private school hater. When playing in my younger days, they always scooped up the good players off your team. My feelings have kind of changed recently. Good players just as easily, and do regularly, open enroll (move) to other public schools where they think they have a better shot at whatever. With all this movement, it gives some kids that maybe wouldn't have a shot at their own varsity to make the team. I say bring in more private school teams, diluting the pool, more kids play, better for everyone. The one issue I have is when a school continues to dominate class A and refuse to move up (cough-STA-cough). MSHSL should look at those instances and force require move up to the higher class. Equally I believe they should also allow public schools that have not done so well to be able to move down a class.
IF STA wants to stay in the minor leagues and win the show each year that's pretty sad compared to the joy & competition that comes from making it to, and playing in, the real big show - AA. It's like if Alabama wanted to drop down to Division II in football and win it every year - but win what? a second rate trophy? No offense, that's reality. I think it is sad for STA kids and fans that they are missing out.. Ask the STA players and I'm guessing that most would rather compete against the best.. Plus they would actually make a nice addition to section 4 so Hill Murray (my team) would have more competition than WBL to make it to state..

Granttenn

SSM & Northwood School (NY) compete in EL NIT Nov2-4 w/

Post by Granttenn » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:29 am

SSM & Northwood School (NY) compete in EL NIT Nov2-4 w/ MN White & Red.

Interesting to see how these two private national powers will do against Elite League All Star teams MN White & MN Red. (although both MN teams do have some private school kids on them as well. )
Last edited by Granttenn on Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:01 am

stpaul wrote:
What's the purpose behind public schools anyway?
to edjicate.

Private schools, I guess, want to do the same, but just for the rich or athletically privileged. Barring themselves, or shielding themselves, from the REAL world.

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:34 am

TTpuckster wrote:Private schools, I guess, want to do the same, but just for the rich or athletically privileged. Barring themselves, or shielding themselves, from the REAL world.
Your guess isn't completely wrong; however, it is inaccurate...

8)
The Puck
LGW

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:23 am

I know, really, private schools?
Come on, time to get Rid of them.

:lol:

OGEE OGELTHORPE

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:54 am

They are considering a separate State Tournament for all Private Schools in 2014.

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:09 pm

OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote:They are considering a separate State Tournament for all Private Schools in 2014.
Won't happen.

They'll make all private schools play AA before that happens.

8)
The Puck
LGW

HockeyGuy952

Post by HockeyGuy952 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:48 pm

They need to put STA in AA they have 500 BOYS not just student but boys while someone like holy angels only has 750 students and half of that may be boys

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:52 pm

OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote:They are considering a separate State Tournament for all Private Schools in 2014.
I hear it will be held at Fogerty North and you'll be able to hear it live on 970AM.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:25 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:
I hear it will be held at Fogerty North and you'll be able to hear it live on 970AM.
And they are going to have two brackets, AA and A, so STA can still win the JV tournament.

sparty

Post by sparty » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:11 pm

Just playing hockey is getting too expensive. Only families who can afford private school will be able to afford hockey anyway. It's turning into a rich kids game.

Mailman

Post by Mailman » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:16 pm

sparty wrote:Just playing hockey is getting too expensive. Only families who can afford private school will be able to afford hockey anyway. It's turning into a rich kids game.
Judging by some of the comments, kinda like this forum........

stpaul

Post by stpaul » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:52 pm

"They" are 6 guys on a message board.

truehockeyfan

Post by truehockeyfan » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:05 am

PuckU126 wrote:
Won't happen.

They'll make all private schools play AA before that happens.

8)
Not a bad idea. It would be an interesting concept to make all the private schools play AA. The competition level in A would be significantly down. In my opinion, there are about 10 A schools that could compete competitively with most AA schools. Taking the private schools out of A would truly make A the JV game.