Outside rink at Minnesota Made

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

barry_mcconnell

Outside rink at Minnesota Made

Post by barry_mcconnell »

Is the outdoor rink up and running yet? I thought they were planning on freezing it this week. Anyone skate on it yet?
Hockeyfuture101

Post by Hockeyfuture101 »

It's a great rink![/list]
barry_mcconnell

Hockeyfuture101 wrote:It's a great rink!
So are you saying they have flooded it and you've seen it? Or are you just commenting on the concept?
goaliewithfoggedglasses

Post by goaliewithfoggedglasses »

It's not up yet. Spoke to some of the guys working on it last weekend and they said they thought maybe this coming weekend, which I believe is about a week late.
C-dad

Post by C-dad »

goaliewithfoggedglasses wrote:It's not up yet. Spoke to some of the guys working on it last weekend and they said they thought maybe this coming weekend, which I believe is about a week late.
I was there last week and the boards were up, tubing in, but not connected to the headers yet, none of it back filled. I would be surprised if it is ready this weekend, but it could happen with some OT.
JSR

Post by JSR »

I think this type of thing is awesome. Our team has an actual game scheduled at an outdoor (refirdgerated/maintained) rink in Winnetka, IL and the kids are excited about it. Would love to see more of this happen.
no5hole

Post by no5hole »

Coon Rapids has a beautiful new facility (2nd year i believe) and has an awesome outdoor rink. Its on the east side of the building so its somewhat protected from the wind. and with the boards and glass surrounding it, works perfect..... and a viewing area from inside for moms and sissy dads.
Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy »

JSR wrote:I think this type of thing is awesome. Our team has an actual game scheduled at an outdoor (refirdgerated/maintained) rink in Winnetka, IL and the kids are excited about it. Would love to see more of this happen.
That's an awfully far drive to play on an outdoor sheet...Tier1 dollars put to good use there :P
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

I talked to some folks at Mn Made last night, they've had a lot of technical issues. They're hoping to start flooding tomorrow (Friday), but with warm weather in the forecast for the weekend, it could be a week before there's a sheet. It's a sand rink, which means all the sand has to be soaked and frozen before they can flood over the top.

At least that's the buzz among the rink rats.
JSR

Post by JSR »

Snap Happy wrote:
JSR wrote:I think this type of thing is awesome. Our team has an actual game scheduled at an outdoor (refirdgerated/maintained) rink in Winnetka, IL and the kids are excited about it. Would love to see more of this happen.
That's an awfully far drive to play on an outdoor sheet...Tier1 dollars put to good use there :P
We live in Southern WI, Winnetka is like an hour maybe an hour and a half depending on traffic from our house. Not that far of a drive at all actually and we will be playing two games there that day.... Thanks though! :roll:
jpiehl

Post by jpiehl »

Yeah, but in Minnesota Association hockey, we get to travel from St. Cloud to New Ulm and St. Cloud to Luverne for league games, so that's much better. Oh wait...
JSR

Post by JSR »

jpiehl wrote:Yeah, but in Minnesota Association hockey, we get to travel from St. Cloud to New Ulm and St. Cloud to Luverne for league games, so that's much better. Oh wait...
LOL... I know it's hilarious some of the things people think before they think out the facts..... If we still played for the association Pee Wee A team we would have played for here is just a few of the actual scheduled games for that assocation's Pee Wee A team.

Brookfield = 1.5 hours drive
Rockford = 1.5 hour drive
Beloit = 1 hour drive
Hartland = 1.5 hour drive
Waukesha = 1.5 hour drive
Janesville = 45 minute drive
Stevens Point = 2 hour drive
Chicago tourney = 2 hour drive
MN tourney = 4.5 hour drive
Eagle River tourney = 3.5 to 4 hour drive

yep assocation hockey would have really kept me close to home :?

Sorry snaphappy not all of us live in Metro Minneapolis, most of the rest of the hockey world still has to travel some to find appropriate games to play even at the association level........
Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy »

JSR wrote:
jpiehl wrote:Yeah, but in Minnesota Association hockey, we get to travel from St. Cloud to New Ulm and St. Cloud to Luverne for league games, so that's much better. Oh wait...
LOL... I know it's hilarious some of the things people think before they think out the facts..... If we still played for the association Pee Wee A team we would have played for here is just a few of the actual scheduled games for that assocation's Pee Wee A team.

Beloit = 1 hour drive

Sorry snaphappy not all of us live in Metro Minneapolis, most of the rest of the hockey world still has to travel some to find appropriate games to play even at the association level........
LOL sorry to hear this!! The price you pay to play hockey in a rural area I guess.
JSR

Post by JSR »

Snap Happy wrote:
JSR wrote:

Beloit = 1 hour drive

LOL sorry to hear this!! The price you pay to play hockey in a rural area I guess.
We live in Madison, WI....., welll tecnically a suburb, but hardly rural... last I heard there were over 100 rinks in the Minneapolis Metro area alone, WI has somwhere around 100 rinks in the state total..... It's not a "rural" thing here it's a hockey culture thing and yes it's the price we happily pay :D
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

JSR, that's light compared to what we have.

9 teams in a very solid AA league for Squirts.

1) our home rink, which nobody lives near
2) an hour, 60 miles on highway
3) two hours
4) 2 1/2
5) 2:45
6) 3:20
7) 3:30
8) 3:40
9) 4:15

Our ADM rep described the same thing for his son in Ohio. You are absolutely correct. Travel like this is the norm. We have teams traveling just as far for low-level A hockey, which in Minnesota equates to C or lower.
Be kind. Rewind.
JSR

Post by JSR »

O-townClown wrote:JSR, that's light compared to what we have.

3) two hours
4) 2 1/2

Our ADM rep described the same thing for his son in Ohio. You are absolutely correct. Travel like this is the norm. We have teams traveling just as far for low-level A hockey, which in Minnesota equates to C or lower.
Too true!! .... The overwhleming majority of the kids/families playing hockey at ALL levels around the country deal with travel times like this routinely.
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

JSR wrote:
O-townClown wrote:JSR, that's light compared to what we have.

3) two hours
4) 2 1/2

Too true!! .... The overwhleming majority of the kids/families playing hockey at ALL levels around the country deal with travel times like this routinely.
HA! That's nothing. I drive my kid up hill BOTH WAYS to and from the front and rear rinks at Superrink.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
barry_mcconnell

Anyone skate on this rink yet?
MNM JMH

Post by MNM JMH »

I will let you know what it looks like, have a game at 1:20
Sunsetcliffs98

Post by Sunsetcliffs98 »

60+ degree temps this upcoming week will no doubt be a challenge.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Give the guy a break !! Contruction delays happen everywhere. Temps suck for outdoor ice, mid Dec nobody cares. One thing nice he owns his own rink x 2. I'm sure reschedule is no prob...
barry_mcconnell

Nobody is piling on here. I just want to know when its skatable so I can go check it out.
IHEA

Post by IHEA »

old goalie85 wrote:Give the guy a break !! Contruction delays happen everywhere. Temps suck for outdoor ice, mid Dec nobody cares. One thing nice he owns his own rink x 2. I'm sure reschedule is no prob...
What are you his mother? Nobody has posted anything negative about it. And since you brought it up, people who are missing skates do care. Construction delays happen for the common man. A great man finds a way to meet and exceed promises made. Many thanks for the PR post :lol:
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Check out my posts per Bern. I'm not his mother he graduated from FL 4 yrs before me. =;