Gophers

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MNHockeyFan

Re: Lines

Post by MNHockeyFan » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:53 am

DrGaf wrote:You may be further from the ice cream, but you're closer to Famous Dave's now. mmmmmmm pork.
I'm hoping they'll again bring back the Jax Cafe stand...prime rib sliders, prime rib chili and delicious clam chowder.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:54 pm

For those who might not have seen this - nice write-up about Nick Bjugstad's decision to return to the Gophers:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophe ... 84811.html

C-dad

Post by C-dad » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:47 am

Wow. Two dominating performances against what was supposed to be a pretty good MSU team. Gophers looked so fast and skilled in comparison to MSU it was night and day.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:37 am

Impressive first weekend for the Goph's. A lot of talent throughout the lineup. The two freshman de looked good and fit right in.... as expected. I liked the move to put Isackson on the first line. It not only got him going, but also evened out the scoring on all three lines.

The new score board and wrap around lights sure do change the atmospher. I also could finally understand the names on the goal announcements.

I see a long and successful year for the Goph's.

joshcooper

??

Post by joshcooper » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:50 pm

Is this thread dead?

MNHockeyFan

Re: ??

Post by MNHockeyFan » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:16 pm

joshcooper wrote:Is this thread dead?
NO WAY! We just took a little breather. :wink:

Here is a very well written article on this weekend's opponent, which includes some interesting history on their program.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Myer ... tion101812

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:40 pm

Just watched the Gopher - Canicius game live and Parenteau was the best defensemen on the ice.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:35 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:Just watched the Gopher - Canicius game live and Parenteau was the best defensemen on the ice.
I witnessed this game in person, as well. Winning a game 1-0 does not cause much concern on the defensive end. Although Jake did play well.

The Goph's need to pick up their scoring if they hope to have the success that they experienced last year. I have not been impressed with the play of Budish, Rau, or Warning. Yes Rau got the only goal on Sunday, but overall, he has not created much offensively as last year.

Also, it appears that they will be rotating a defensemen on the forward wing. Marshall was on the 2nd line with Haula and Budish on Sunday. Was surprised to see Brady Skjei not dressed. Not sure if he was sick, or hurt.

Wilcox has looked good so far.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:11 pm

BodyShots wrote:Was surprised to see Brady Skjei not dressed. Not sure if he was sick, or hurt.
He's been held out with an injury, the exact nature of which I don't believe has been disclosed. From what I read a couple of days ago he was expected to be back in the lineup by Friday's game against Mankato.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:01 pm

According to a post on USCHO Jack Ramsey has committed to the U.

DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:43 am

I also saw on Chris Heisenberg 2013 Recruiting Site, that Glover & Collins from USNDPT have verbally committed to the Gophers on 10/21...

Glover (U.Minn/USNDPT); Collins (U.Minn/USNDPT)
Aren't both these kids from Benilde...?

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:50 pm

DmanDad1980 wrote:I also saw on Chris Heisenberg 2013 Recruiting Site, that Glover & Collins from USNDPT have verbally committed to the Gophers on 10/21...

Glover (U.Minn/USNDPT); Collins (U.Minn/USNDPT)
Aren't both these kids from Benilde...?
Yes.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:47 pm

Once again, the offense is struggling to put points on the board, especially when they play 5 on 5. This past weekend, they had two defensemen moved up to the forward position (Marshall a 3rd line wing, and Holl on the 4th line). Marshall moving up doesn't surprise me, as he played a lot of forward growing up. Holl on the other hand, doesn't look fit for the roll. Where has Horn been? Is it time to give him a shot? Warning has also been missing. Is he hurt or having school issues? I like the play of Boyd and Condon. Bjugstad on the other hand needs to pick it up 5 on 5, if he wants to see his face painted on the Mariucci walls.

As for defense, the freshman look like they are struggling a bit in the defensive zone. Not a big surprise, as this often happens early in the season. Control - Alt - Delete on the other hand needs to play better. He continues to run around chasing the puck, and his hands are as soft as cement. It would be interesting to get a count of how many icings he commits when trying to move the puck up to the forwards.

DrGaf

Post by DrGaf » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:57 pm

BodyShots wrote:Control - Alt - Delete on the other hand needs to play better. He continues to run around chasing the puck, and his hands are as soft as cement. It would be interesting to get a count of how many icings he commits when trying to move the puck up to the forwards.
I'm just guessing here, but it's probably up around 342.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.

DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:54 am

Disappointing losses to Tech & Mankato, no doubt about it. Sluggish play in last three weeks, after a great first weekend, where the offense seemed to be on all cylinders...

Our forwards are definitely struggling... Big kids Budish, Ambrose and Bjugstad are struggling, and small forwards Isaacson, Warning, and even Rau are having a hard time in the last three weekends...

On defense, I agree that the young kids are having a hard time adjusting to the pace of play. Alt has had some major puck control probelms, but in watching, defense and forwards are all having a hard time maintaining puck control.

Wilcox looks to be taking the lead here. Has played well for the most part.

Also, agree that moving D to forward to provide playing time, may not be the most efficient for the team. Bodyshots has some good points, not a fan of moving D to forward, such as Holl, when we could use a Horn or the Reilly kid more...

In hindsight, seeing what Kloos & Cammaratta are doing in juniors, could Lucia have brought them into the competition for playing time? There is risk in losing some kids, but could have made this team very strong... IMO

observer

Post by observer » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:50 am

In hindsight, seeing what Kloos & Cammaratta are doing in juniors, could Lucia have brought them into the competition for playing time?
Cammarata is a 95 high school senior.

I was thinking while watching Haula go into the end boards that he definitely got a concussion. They don't get the benefit of replay on the bench when they put him back in the game. You'd still think the trainer would hold him out for the rest of the game. I don't know his concussion history or what tests they do on the bench but seemed like a bad decision.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:06 pm

I actually think that too much competition is having a negative effect on the team. When players are worried about their ice time and worried that a mistake will keep them out of the lineup, it is hard to concentrate on the team. Doesn't look like the team is playing relaxed, therefore probably not having a lot of fun. I know competition for playing time is good, but if I was a returning D and had to be switched to forward or a healthy scratch from the beginning of the season I would be extremely disappointed, especially after the great season last year. Why not make the young players earn their spots or let the older players, play themselves out of the top 6.

DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:16 pm

mulefarm wrote:I actually think that too much competition is having a negative effect on the team. When players are worried about their ice time and worried that a mistake will keep them out of the lineup, it is hard to concentrate on the team. Doesn't look like the team is playing relaxed, therefore probably not having a lot of fun. I know competition for playing time is good, but if I was a returning D and had to be switched to forward or a healthy scratch from the beginning of the season I would be extremely disappointed, especially after the great season last year. Why not make the young players earn their spots or let the older players, play themselves out of the top 6.
You make a great point. I have seen exactly what you are talking about with some high school teams my kids have played for... The fear of mistake makes some key individuals too tight, looking over shoulders, and brings team play down... Hope that is not the case for the Gophers.
Hope Alaska Anchorage can help make things right for a weekend, and bring confidence back to this talented group!

OldTimePuck00

Post by OldTimePuck00 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:06 am

DmanDad1980 wrote:
mulefarm wrote:I actually think that too much competition is having a negative effect on the team. When players are worried about their ice time and worried that a mistake will keep them out of the lineup, it is hard to concentrate on the team. Doesn't look like the team is playing relaxed, therefore probably not having a lot of fun. I know competition for playing time is good, but if I was a returning D and had to be switched to forward or a healthy scratch from the beginning of the season I would be extremely disappointed, especially after the great season last year. Why not make the young players earn their spots or let the older players, play themselves out of the top 6.
You make a great point. I have seen exactly what you are talking about with some high school teams my kids have played for... The fear of mistake makes some key individuals too tight, looking over shoulders, and brings team play down... Hope that is not the case for the Gophers.
Hope Alaska Anchorage can help make things right for a weekend, and bring confidence back to this talented group!
You guys hit the nail on the head, it's a mentality of playing NOT-TO-LOSE rather than playing to win.

With Warning coming back into the lineup that should restore some normality for the Gophs forwards. As for the young D; I think Lucia ought to go back to the six veteran d who got us to where we were last year (Schmidt, Parenteau) (Helgy, Holl) (Marshall, Alt). The only exception to this should be if the play of Alt continues to be a run-around chase your tail affair, then there should be some competition for that spot. Keep Reilly as the seventh D for now, because Skjei has hardly proved himself to this point in the year, and Reilly has shown some promising things on the Powerplay.

Our third line has been our most consistent line this year! Bjugstad and Rau particularly need to pick things back up for the Gophers to be a handful for opposing defenses. If these forward lines continue to struggle things need to get shaken up. Ryan Reilly, Horn and Michaelson ought to be rotating regularly through the fourth and third lines until they establish themselves.

Wilcox is the clear choice for netminder, no doubt about it. I've got a feeling it may take a weekend sweep of the Gophers by a "lesser" WCHA opponent to really wake the guys up, hopefully I'm wrong.

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:51 am

My take on the gophers and I am a die hard rodent fan. Last year's team probably over-achieved by most, correct? They werent necessarily considered to be that good, and really surprised a lot of people. Kent Patterson had to have been the MVP of the team. For most of the season he was lights out, and was a main reason for their success.

Another big loss was Taylor Matson. Most do not know, but he was a major reason their work ethic picked up in the off season. He was the blue collar captain that team needed. The kid worked his tail each and every shift which provided a spark for the team that had been lacking.

Let's not forget about Jake Hansen. That kid each and every day had is motor running at full throttle. He provided more spark, but also provided the boom with some scoring on the second line.

Rau - Bjugstad - Budish = Budish has to pick it up! It's a must that the captain does more than what he has been doing.

Haula - Warning - Isaacson = Isaacson is no where near the player Hansen was. Isaacson rarely played last year, and now we are supposed to think he can play on the top line or 2nd line. If you think cause he scored a bunch during the exhibition game than you havent been watching close enough. Warning has been hurt for that guy that says he needs to pick it up. I thought he was providing some good speed early until he got banged up.

Boyd - Ambroz - Condon = Maybe the most consistent line. Ambroz scored two goals in one game. I think he got drafted in the 6th round. What more you want from him? He is only a sophmore too. Not saying he is great, but he is who he is.

4th line = was better than average last year. This year its garbage...No offense, but Reilly probably shouldnt be playing right now. Michaelson, what happened? Thought you were a top recruit at one time. Serratore...love it! The kid knows his role and plays it well. Horn...obviously a defenseman is better, so thats not saying much.

And now to the D. To many!! Alt and Helgy = barf. Skjei or Shay or whatever...1st round draft pick. Really?

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:21 am

Agree 100% with Tigers33 on the loss of Matson and Hansen. Neither one has the God-given natural talent to make it big in the NHL, but both of them always gave what they had, and then some. You could see where it was contagious, whereas this year we seem to be missing that extra adrenaline that seemed to spread through the whole team.

Hopefully one or more veterans will soon step up to provide that little extra spark that's been missing since they opened the season against Michigan State.

OldTimePuck00

Post by OldTimePuck00 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:15 pm

I feel like Helgy & Alt are both trying to provide that adrenaline by being big bad defenseman who lay the body. It's not working. Everyone seems to be looking around for who is gonna step up and be the spark that the second and third lines had last season in Hansen and Mattson. If Condon was a more intense, vocal guy. he'd be the ticket. I think he's the most improved player from last year but he's just not contagious like Mattson.

That being said the only people I feel have played consistently to their potential this season have been Wilcox and Parenteau. Everyone else seems like they're missing something, not clicking with their line. Just....off.

oldschoolpuckster

Post by oldschoolpuckster » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Another thought might be that this coaching staff always tries to pick " the best players" instead of "the right players".......(Herbie quote)

To me, they look like an All-Star team playing like a bunch of individules trying to play a little College game before they leave early for their pro career. It is a very ugly game to watch right now (all but the first period of the first game of the season)

I would like to see a big "shake-up' to the roster to get things going.

DrGaf

Post by DrGaf » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:33 am

oldschoolpuckster wrote:Another thought might be that this coaching staff always tries to pick " the best players" instead of "the right players".......(Herbie quote)

To me, they look like an All-Star team playing like a bunch of individules trying to play a little College game before they leave early for their pro career. It is a very ugly game to watch right now (all but the first period of the first game of the season)

The frickin' Gopher's have been my only real local team I care for since Norm Green ruined my formative teenage years. I still can't look at the Dallas Stars jerseys with out feeling a needle of ange jabbing through my eye ... and then these kids nowadays with their "retro" N-stars snap back with the flow, drive me nuts!

ANYWAYS, back to the point. The Gophers have always had tons of talent, and that's the problem. Too much talent, too many stars, not enough grinders. White collar players sell the tickets, blue collar boys win the games.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:46 am

DrGaf wrote:
oldschoolpuckster wrote:Another thought might be that this coaching staff always tries to pick " the best players" instead of "the right players".......(Herbie quote)

The frickin' Gopher's have been my only real local team I care for since Norm Green ruined my formative teenage years. I still can't look at the Dallas Stars jerseys with out feeling a needle of ange jabbing through my eye ... and then these kids nowadays with their "retro" N-stars snap back with the flow, drive me nuts!

ANYWAYS, back to the point. The Gophers have always had tons of talent, and that's the problem. Too much talent, too many stars, not enough grinders. White collar players sell the tickets, blue collar boys win the games.
If a bunch of guys on here can figure it out, why can't Don? Or can he and can't get white collar kids to play like blue collar kids?