Influx of kids to Osseo HS Program

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

D3 Fan

Influx of kids to Osseo HS Program

Post by D3 Fan »

Rumor has it that Osseo will have twice the number of kids at tryouts this year compared to last. A handfull are from Park Center (due to that program being shutdown), but I would have to assume that most of the others are Maple Grove 10th graders who are deciding to open enroll to Osseo. Does anyone have any additional information?

It seems like it should really stengthen the Osseo program, which would be a good thing for the long run.
almostashappy

Re: Influx of kids to Osseo HS Program

Post by almostashappy »

D3 Fan wrote:Rumor has it that Osseo will have twice the number of kids at tryouts this year compared to last. A handfull are from Park Center (due to that program being shutdown), but I would have to assume that most of the others are Maple Grove 10th graders who are deciding to open enroll to Osseo. Does anyone have any additional information?

It seems like it should really stengthen the Osseo program, which would be a good thing for the long run.
Open enrolling within a school district doesn't get you around MSHSL transfer rules. If they're MG 10th graders, they'll have to play JV for a year (unless they move or lawyer up).
Bluewhitefan

Re: Influx of kids to Osseo HS Program

Post by Bluewhitefan »

almostashappy wrote:
D3 Fan wrote:Rumor has it that Osseo will have twice the number of kids at tryouts this year compared to last. A handfull are from Park Center (due to that program being shutdown), but I would have to assume that most of the others are Maple Grove 10th graders who are deciding to open enroll to Osseo. Does anyone have any additional information?

Open enrolling within a school district doesn't get you around MSHSL transfer rules. If they're MG 10th graders, they'll have to play JV for a year (unless they move or lawyer up).
Yeah, cuz that rule is so closely enforced. Witness BSM.
VicKevlar

Post by VicKevlar »

When North Metro went bye bye....the three high schools made decisons. Park Center and Fridley are now going to Osseo. I'm not sure where the Columbia Heights skaters went (Irondale?).

There will be about 50 kids for Osseo tryouts (from summer program totals and signups for captain's practices starting today). Enough to have Varsity, JV and a Junior Gold team again.
MNhockey15443

Great to hear!

Post by MNhockey15443 »

Good to see Osseo get a few more numbers, coming from an old osseo grad. Hopefully they can compete a little better with the top teams in the state instead of getting beat up really bad.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

It may be to Osseso's immediate benefit. But in general, if your neighbor is having numbers troubles or outright closes down, it's not a good omen for you.

I really don't have any specific dope on youth program numbers or demographics for any of those communities. But weak numbers tend to be contagious, for a lot of reasons. Even for good programs, it's better to have healthy neighbors.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:It may be to Osseso's immediate benefit. But in general, if your neighbor is having numbers troubles or outright closes down, it's not a good omen for you.

I really don't have any specific dope on youth program numbers or demographics for any of those communities. But weak numbers tend to be contagious, for a lot of reasons. Even for good programs, it's better to have healthy neighbors.
This couldn't have been said any better, from a Private backer.... [-o<
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

BodyShots wrote:
East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:It may be to Osseso's immediate benefit. But in general, if your neighbor is having numbers troubles or outright closes down, it's not a good omen for you.

This couldn't have been said any better, from a Private backer.... [-o<
Just wondering if you see everything through the public-private lens. Because someone would almost have to be trying to see my comments in that light.
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

I was talking to a longtime MN Hockey official and heard some interesting things about demographics. I was told these NW suburbs are often cheaper for young families to get started with first homes, and once they hit their financial stride, they usually move down to Wayzata, Tonka and Edina. But with tougher economic times, they may not make that move, and the hockey players stay and make the older levels (esp. bantam and high school) more competitive. Witness Maple Grove's FIRST trip to state last year. (And remember that we're like 6 years into this recession.)

I'm not surprised that MG's success is beginning to spill over into Osseo, and good luck to the Orioles this year!

Doesn't Zach Parise live out there somewhere now too??? Orono, I think.