Kevin Hartzell

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Reggie

Kevin Hartzell

Post by Reggie » Tue May 08, 2012 8:35 pm

Contract was not renewed. Who next in SF?

demongoed

Post by demongoed » Wed May 09, 2012 12:32 pm

It will be interesting to see. With the appointment of Garrity as CEO, and the way the Stampede website announcement focuses almost exclusively on his revenue-generating accomplishments for NHL teams as his greatest qualification, it should concern any player thinking of playing with the Stampede.

http://www.sfstampede.com/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=57

Hartzell was highly respected for many things, including how well he prepared and advocated for his players to top college programs. It doesn't seem like this is something the new owners care about. Everyone knows that at the end of the day, the USHL is a business, but with an additional mission of moving kids to the next level. Time will tell if the new ownership values this or not. From what I've read so far, they don't.

observer

Post by observer » Wed May 09, 2012 1:50 pm

Why would growing revenue be a concern for players? More money sounds like a good thing to me.

demongoed

Post by demongoed » Wed May 09, 2012 2:46 pm

More money is a good thing. I was just commenting on the lack of any mention of the new owners' interest in player development. These kids are not professionals, and this is not the NHL. These kids have a limited time in this league to make an impact. If all the new owners are interested in is profits, little time will be spent on helping these kids make the next step to college hockey, which the players are told is one of the main values and goals of this league.

fastncrash

Hartzell/Eades

Post by fastncrash » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:09 pm

Hartzell was an excellent Coach and you can't question any of his achievements with what he had to work with. With a NEW $120 Million Dollar Arena being built, It was simply time for a change and a focus on additional revenue creation was a large factor as it took a small "Act of God" to get the Arena approved by the tax-payers in Sioux Falls.

mulefarm

Re: Hartzell/Eades

Post by mulefarm » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:35 am

fastncrash wrote:Hartzell was an excellent Coach and you can't question any of his achievements with what he had to work with. With a NEW $120 Million Dollar Arena being built, It was simply time for a change and a focus on additional revenue creation was a large factor as it took a small "Act of God" to get the Arena approved by the tax-payers in Sioux Falls.
Sounds like a great reason to get rid of an excellent coach. Not sure that there is a big difference between Hartzell and Eades when it comes to the creation of new revenue. My guess that Hartzell probably helped getting the new arena and then was shown the door?

fastncrash

Re: Hartzell/Eades

Post by fastncrash » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:56 am

mulefarm wrote:
fastncrash wrote:Hartzell was an excellent Coach and you can't question any of his achievements with what he had to work with. With a NEW $120 Million Dollar Arena being built, It was simply time for a change and a focus on additional revenue creation was a large factor as it took a small "Act of God" to get the Arena approved by the tax-payers in Sioux Falls.
Sounds like a great reason to get rid of an excellent coach. Not sure that there is a big difference between Hartzell and Eades when it comes to the creation of new revenue. My guess that Hartzell probably helped getting the new arena and then was shown the door?
AS I said, he's a great Coach in my mind... However finishing LAST in the League the year before, and close to the bottom the previous two... doesn't protect the investment.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:18 pm

In that league the bottom line is winning, no problem seeing him fired for that reason. He holds the tryouts, picks the team and is responsible for the on ice product, which hasn't be good.