7AA will be very competitive this year....

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

kniven
Posts: 1828
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:40 pm
Location: Esko

7AA will be very competitive this year....

Post by kniven » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:33 pm

There are going to be some very good hockey games between Cloquet, East, and Grand Rapids this year. I can't wait! =)

rainier
Posts: 1586
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:30 am
Location: Earth

Re: 7AA will be very competitive this year....

Post by rainier » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:39 pm

kniven wrote:There are going to be some very good hockey games between Cloquet, East, and Grand Rapids this year. I can't wait! =)
For sure, I'm hoping Cloquet wins some of them and breaks through to state. It would be fun to watch the Kuhlman-Michaud bros. line go crazy at the X.

John McClain
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:38 am

Post by John McClain » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:25 pm

Let's remember that whoever comes out of the North will still need to get by Andover.

Andover has almost everyone back from last year's sectional finalist team. Supposedly the one of the best goalies in the State, their 4 top D as well as two top lines all return. Solid depth will be enough to offset one line of superstars. These guys come to play each and every night. Top to bottom, the lunch pail mentality of this group makes this team one to keep your eyes on.

Come late February 2013, the Huskies will be extremely tough to beat, mark my words.

old goalie85
Posts: 3695
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:37 am

Post by old goalie85 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:35 pm

Didn't they have one of the top BA last year as well ?? How good will SMA be this year. After graduation FL looks to rebuild. Goalie and two top forwards return. I'm picking Rapids.

TheHockeyDJ
Posts: 2125
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:41 pm
Location: Orange County, California
Contact:

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:50 pm

John McClain wrote:Let's remember that whoever comes out of the North will still need to get by Andover.

Andover has almost everyone back from last year's sectional finalist team. Supposedly the one of the best goalies in the State, their 4 top D as well as two top lines all return. Solid depth will be enough to offset one line of superstars. These guys come to play each and every night. Top to bottom, the lunch pail mentality of this group makes this team one to keep your eyes on.

Come late February 2013, the Huskies will be extremely tough to beat, mark my words.
They'll be tough, it's not news, but so will East, Cloquet, Rapids, and Elk River. This is gonna be a helluva 5 team race. I wouldn't be surprised to see at Andover/Rapids final because they have the two best goalies in the section. I wish Shepard would have got the nod in the playoffs last year, he could have been the difference between 1-and-out and a deep run at state. I hope Rapids can stay healthy up front so they can leave Bischoff at defense. It's huge when a team can have that level of defensemen control the game from the back and is a scoring threat anywhere on the ice like an Alex Goligoski.
StartingStrength.com, BarbellMedicine.com

karl(east)
Posts: 5868
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:03 am
Contact:

Post by karl(east) » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:55 pm

I like not only the depth of the teams in this section, but the variety of what they bring to the table.

Grand Rapids will be very strong defensively but will need to develop some offense.
Cloquet has one fantastic line of forwards and some depth, but also some real questions on defense and in goal.
Andover is very deep, but doesn't really have the star power of the other teams (at least among their upperclassmen).
Duluth East has pretty good balance and a lot of experience, but depth may be a real issue.
Elk River is inexperienced, but they have a few standouts (both at forward and D), and have a very deep program.

I think it'll be the best 5-team section race in my memory.

MNhockey29
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:06 pm

Post by MNhockey29 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:13 am

Forest Lake has one varsity goalie returning and a few forwards and D returning also. Defiantly a rebuild year.Should be solid defensively with the offense being a question.

old goalie85
Posts: 3695
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:37 am

Post by old goalie85 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:24 am

Gravelle/Parker/Kipela on O should be good, Jack Schmidt [out 1/2 of Jr yr w/football injury] is a top player on D. Garcia played 50% of the games last year as soph. This group went to regions as pee-wees.[got beat by Nanne/Fidler/Edina. They may surprise. J.V. had a very good season last year[I know that doesn't mean what it used to].We play a tough conference so end of the year anything can happen!!! Remeber last year ?? I still would think Rapids is the team to beat.

EHSHack
Posts: 717
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:09 am

Post by EHSHack » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:23 pm

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
John McClain wrote:Let's remember that whoever comes out of the North will still need to get by Andover.

Andover has almost everyone back from last year's sectional finalist team. Supposedly the one of the best goalies in the State, their 4 top D as well as two top lines all return. Solid depth will be enough to offset one line of superstars. These guys come to play each and every night. Top to bottom, the lunch pail mentality of this group makes this team one to keep your eyes on.

Come late February 2013, the Huskies will be extremely tough to beat, mark my words.
They'll be tough, it's not news, but so will East, Cloquet, Rapids, and Elk River. This is gonna be a helluva 5 team race. I wouldn't be surprised to see at Andover/Rapids final because they have the two best goalies in the section. I wish Shepard would have got the nod in the playoffs last year, he could have been the difference between 1-and-out and a deep run at state. I hope Rapids can stay healthy up front so they can leave Bischoff at defense. It's huge when a team can have that level of defensemen control the game from the back and is a scoring threat anywhere on the ice like an Alex Goligoski.
I didnt realize Parker from DE graduated...
Go Hounds.

old goalie85
Posts: 3695
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:37 am

Post by old goalie85 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:07 am

Good point. I think Parker is the best in 7AA.

Topcheese08
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:19 am

Post by Topcheese08 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:51 am

Andover may have depth but the one thing they lack is the decades of playoff experience that East, Cloquet, Rapids, and Elk River have had. When those 4 teams are having a good year (which they will this year) good luck getting by all four of them in the section.

TheHockeyDJ
Posts: 2125
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:41 pm
Location: Orange County, California
Contact:

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:33 pm

My preseason seedings predictions:

1. Duluth East - Solid core of players, very good goaltending and D.
2. Grand Rapids - Elite players and better depth than they are getting credit for.
3. Elk River - Zerban and Jaremko will lead them to the semi-finals
4. Cloquet - Great top line, but defense and depth are question marks.
5. Forest Lake - This will be the best 5th seed in the state.
6. Andover
7. St. Michael-Albertville
8. St. Francis
9. Cambridge
StartingStrength.com, BarbellMedicine.com

green4
Posts: 1407
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:02 am
Location: Edina

Post by green4 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:51 pm

TheHockeyDJ wrote:My preseason seedings predictions:

1. Duluth East - Solid core of players, very good goaltending and D.
2. Grand Rapids - Elite players and better depth than they are getting credit for.
3. Elk River - Zerban and Jaremko will lead them to the semi-finals
4. Cloquet - Great top line, but defense and depth are question marks.
5. Forest Lake - This will be the best 5th seed in the state.
6. Andover
7. St. Michael-Albertville
8. St. Francis
9. Cambridge
im assuming then andover will be one of the best 6 seeds of all time...
they really lost nobody from a team that went to the section finals and not to mention a top 3 goalie in the the state. i realize its gonna be a competitive section and could end up 6 but if your gonna give the first 5 seeds reasons to there order and not andover i think your whole point of the post was to say you don't think there that good, at least thats how i'm reading it.

MNpuckBlog
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:53 am
Contact:

Post by MNpuckBlog » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:53 pm

Although I don't think Andover will be the #1 seed, I do think they will be at least top 4. They return much of their team up front, as well as one of the state's best goaltenders. They lack big game experience in their program, but they did finish as section 7AA runner-up last season and return enough to be in the running, IMO.
TheHockeyDJ wrote:My preseason seedings predictions:

1. Duluth East - Solid core of players, very good goaltending and D.
2. Grand Rapids - Elite players and better depth than they are getting credit for.
3. Elk River - Zerban and Jaremko will lead them to the semi-finals
4. Cloquet - Great top line, but defense and depth are question marks.
5. Forest Lake - This will be the best 5th seed in the state.
6. Andover
7. St. Michael-Albertville
8. St. Francis
9. Cambridge

TheHockeyDJ
Posts: 2125
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:41 pm
Location: Orange County, California
Contact:

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:06 pm

I think Andover reached the final only as a result of Rapids playing their worst game of the year and w/o their top scorer in the quarterfinals. I think they are decent, but people are going overboard on a team that relies too heavily on their goalie. It won't be long into the season and people will realize East, Rapids, Cloquet, and Elk River are playing at a higher level. Andover lacks an elite scorer and it will show this year. Andover snuck up on a lot of teams last year, this year they will prove to be frauds.
StartingStrength.com, BarbellMedicine.com

BodyShots
Posts: 1724
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:44 pm

Post by BodyShots » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:10 pm

TheHockeyDJ wrote:I think Andover reached the final only as a result of Rapids playing their worst game of the year and w/o their top scorer in the quarterfinals. I think they are decent, but people are going overboard on a team that relies too heavily on their goalie. It won't be long into the season and people will realize East, Rapids, Cloquet, and Elk River are playing at a higher level. Andover lacks an elite scorer and it will show this year. Andover snuck up on a lot of teams last year, this year they will prove to be frauds.
Kind of like GR did last year.... :wink:

TheHockeyDJ
Posts: 2125
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:41 pm
Location: Orange County, California
Contact:

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:15 pm

And Eden Prairie
StartingStrength.com, BarbellMedicine.com

MNpuckBlog
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:53 am
Contact:

Post by MNpuckBlog » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:46 pm

In no way am I saying Andover will be a team to make it to St. Paul in March, I am just saying I think they are above a #6 seed and could squeak out at least a #4. They should do well within their conference and are starting to add better nonconference games to strengthen their schedule. I hope they do well, as they've only been a program for 9-10 years and are starting to be a consistently decent squad, but am not saying they will be a frontrunner this year

blueblood
Posts: 2079
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 2:36 pm
Location: Tonka

best 5th seed

Post by blueblood » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:57 pm

Best 5th seed in playoffs will not be FLAKE. It will be the 5th seed from section 6AA:

1) BSM
2) EP
3, 4 & 5) Tonka, Wayzata and Holy Family

One of those 3 teams will be the best 5-seed...

Sorry HockeyDJ :cry:

northwoods oldtimer
Posts: 2131
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:01 pm

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:18 am

TheHockeyDJ wrote:My preseason seedings predictions:

1. Duluth East - Solid core of players, very good goaltending and D.
2. Grand Rapids - Elite players and better depth than they are getting credit for. :shock: :? :roll: 15???
3. Elk River - Zerban and Jaremko will lead them to the semi-finals
4. Cloquet - Great top line, but defense and depth are question marks.
5. Forest Lake - This will be the best 5th seed in the state.
6. Andover
7. St. Michael-Albertville
8. St. Francis
9. Cambridge

TheHockeyDJ
Posts: 2125
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:41 pm
Location: Orange County, California
Contact:

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:53 am

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:My preseason seedings predictions:

1. Duluth East - Solid core of players, very good goaltending and D.
2. Grand Rapids - Elite players and better depth than they are getting credit for. :shock: :? :roll: 15???
3. Elk River - Zerban and Jaremko will lead them to the semi-finals
4. Cloquet - Great top line, but defense and depth are question marks.
5. Forest Lake - This will be the best 5th seed in the state.
6. Andover
7. St. Michael-Albertville
8. St. Francis
9. Cambridge
I don't follow
StartingStrength.com, BarbellMedicine.com

TennJed
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:54 pm

Post by TennJed » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:43 am

may be in reference to a jersey #

Sparky58
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:42 pm

Post by Sparky58 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:53 pm

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:My preseason seedings predictions:

1. Duluth East - Solid core of players, very good goaltending and D.
2. Grand Rapids - Elite players and better depth than they are getting credit for. :shock: :? :roll: 15???
3. Elk River - Zerban and Jaremko will lead them to the semi-finals
4. Cloquet - Great top line, but defense and depth are question marks.
5. Forest Lake - This will be the best 5th seed in the state.
6. Andover
7. St. Michael-Albertville
8. St. Francis
9. Cambridge
I don't follow
Maybe you need to take a drive south b/4 you rank. Obviously you haven't watched any games and don't have a clue regarding players on the team.

The Enlightened One
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:39 pm
Location: Some place cold

Post by The Enlightened One » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:28 am

old goalie85 wrote:Good point. I think Parker is the best in 7AA.
Best goalie in 7AA? Nope. Shepard frm gr is hands down. Both are great athletes and are well trained but Shepard is quicker and more disiplined than Parker. Parker counts on his athletic ability and his agility to come throu for him and Shepard doesn't need to.

old goalie85
Posts: 3695
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:37 am

Post by old goalie85 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:01 am

OK we will find out soon !!!

Post Reply