Section 3A

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

CornontheCobb

Post by CornontheCobb » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:44 am

Grocery_Stick wrote:Alright another season is right around the corner, and we are looking at some BIG changes in the section this year.

1. Luvurne - Returning a huge amount of raw talent. key word is RAW, high power offense, solid defense, and I believe this is the tender's third year starting? Luvurne should be looking a great season.

2. New Ulm - Having a down year. Tough to replace an all-star like Brody Peterson. Kid put up big stats but never failed to show an even bigger ego. Bringing back Wyatt Peterson, and Blake Neumann is big for this team. They are looking at a down year, but can never be counted out.

3. Hutchinson - Hutch is another team that can never be counted out. Bringing back some good talent up front but still not too convinced by the defense or goalie. Hutch should be very competitive with the top teams in the section.

4. LDC - Litch is coming of a huge disappointment of a season. It would be hard for them to do worse than what they did last year. Bringing some talent back home from up north should be huge in helping them out, but like hutch not the best goalies. This team should be looking much better than they did last year in a down section.

5. Marshall - The Tigers lost huge talent from last year. Lost some strong forwards, and if I'm correct (not 100% positive) they also lost all of their d-men. With a different coach and lacking the wall of defense they have shown in the past in front of the net, Tigers will have a down year with a tender that is barely past shaky in the net.

6. Windom - Windom looked very good last season and can hopefully build on it for a strong season this year. Personally, I feel that Windom and Redwood are neck and neck but neither will be strong contenders with the top five. Returning an okay goalie and Janssen up front, windom could have a great year. Should be interesting to see what Janssen can do without teams focusing on the other two all-stars.

7. Redwood Valley - Horrible season last year. only won a couple of games and just plain couldn't keep up with the competition. Redwood should be able to improve this season, bringing back Kretsch up front and Ortega and Sandgren on D, they are looking to attempt to make a name for themselves. This team has a huge question mark in the net. A Huge factor for this team will be Jacob Prouty, started hot last season as a freshman and cooled down as the year went on. This team lost a log of the little fire power they had, but with a new coach walking in they have a chance to be a surprise. Besides, they probably pulled foreign kids like almost every other year.

8. Worthington - Played better than most seasons last year, for all its worth. Lost their big goal scorer and a very solid tender, should be the same worthington we've all come to love.

9. Fairmont - Lost 10 guys from last season, looking to be another down year for them, especially compared to last season when won a solid five games

Should be a great season overall, but the section seems like it will have another down year talent-wise. Hoping to see some strong games played and maybe even a few upsets in the playoffs!

i agree completely with a lot of what you said, but the one thing i would have to disagree on is Marshall.. they will not be very good. first off The new "coach" they have is hardly a coach. The guy never played high school hockey, but played in a bar league. his experience is coaching bantams for 2 years at B level in Marshall. no accomplishment there. this guy lacks a lot of coaching skills. however marshall's assistant coach Mike Weiss i believe will be very good. He played College hockey and knows a lot about hockey. hopefully he can offset the "Head Coach" and his lack of experience. Marshall returns 1 D-man and he is a solid D-man,but that is it for them. the other 4 or 5 will be very shaky. The forwards are good. they return Mikel, Zerr, Horvath, Clark, McVey. Not many big names that people will know but i expect Horvath to have an outstanding year as he will be the best forward. and i think everyone underestimates the goalie. Granted Marshall had a really good d-core last year, but you have to have a good goalie too and campion did do a solid job last year. the other goalie however is a different story, barely played last year and was shaky when he played. this year could be different though because the D will be weak and it will make both goalies look bad. if they win any big games it will be by a slim margin. probably 1 goal and because the goalies will have played out of their minds. simple as that.

Plain and simple Marshall will at most get a 5 or 6 seed. at most. i wouldn't be surprised if they lost to Windom this year. will definitely not win the conference.

Grocery_Stick

Post by Grocery_Stick » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:59 am

CornontheCobb wrote:
Grocery_Stick wrote:Alright another season is right around the corner, and we are looking at some BIG changes in the section this year.

1. Luvurne - Returning a huge amount of raw talent. key word is RAW, high power offense, solid defense, and I believe this is the tender's third year starting? Luvurne should be looking a great season.

2. New Ulm - Having a down year. Tough to replace an all-star like Brody Peterson. Kid put up big stats but never failed to show an even bigger ego. Bringing back Wyatt Peterson, and Blake Neumann is big for this team. They are looking at a down year, but can never be counted out.

3. Hutchinson - Hutch is another team that can never be counted out. Bringing back some good talent up front but still not too convinced by the defense or goalie. Hutch should be very competitive with the top teams in the section.

4. LDC - Litch is coming of a huge disappointment of a season. It would be hard for them to do worse than what they did last year. Bringing some talent back home from up north should be huge in helping them out, but like hutch not the best goalies. This team should be looking much better than they did last year in a down section.

5. Marshall - The Tigers lost huge talent from last year. Lost some strong forwards, and if I'm correct (not 100% positive) they also lost all of their d-men. With a different coach and lacking the wall of defense they have shown in the past in front of the net, Tigers will have a down year with a tender that is barely past shaky in the net.

6. Windom - Windom looked very good last season and can hopefully build on it for a strong season this year. Personally, I feel that Windom and Redwood are neck and neck but neither will be strong contenders with the top five. Returning an okay goalie and Janssen up front, windom could have a great year. Should be interesting to see what Janssen can do without teams focusing on the other two all-stars.

7. Redwood Valley - Horrible season last year. only won a couple of games and just plain couldn't keep up with the competition. Redwood should be able to improve this season, bringing back Kretsch up front and Ortega and Sandgren on D, they are looking to attempt to make a name for themselves. This team has a huge question mark in the net. A Huge factor for this team will be Jacob Prouty, started hot last season as a freshman and cooled down as the year went on. This team lost a log of the little fire power they had, but with a new coach walking in they have a chance to be a surprise. Besides, they probably pulled foreign kids like almost every other year.

8. Worthington - Played better than most seasons last year, for all its worth. Lost their big goal scorer and a very solid tender, should be the same worthington we've all come to love.

9. Fairmont - Lost 10 guys from last season, looking to be another down year for them, especially compared to last season when won a solid five games

Should be a great season overall, but the section seems like it will have another down year talent-wise. Hoping to see some strong games played and maybe even a few upsets in the playoffs!

i agree completely with a lot of what you said, but the one thing i would have to disagree on is Marshall.. they will not be very good. first off The new "coach" they have is hardly a coach. The guy never played high school hockey, but played in a bar league. his experience is coaching bantams for 2 years at B level in Marshall. no accomplishment there. this guy lacks a lot of coaching skills. however marshall's assistant coach Mike Weiss i believe will be very good. He played College hockey and knows a lot about hockey. hopefully he can offset the "Head Coach" and his lack of experience. Marshall returns 1 D-man and he is a solid D-man,but that is it for them. the other 4 or 5 will be very shaky. The forwards are good. they return Mikel, Zerr, Horvath, Clark, McVey. Not many big names that people will know but i expect Horvath to have an outstanding year as he will be the best forward. and i think everyone underestimates the goalie. Granted Marshall had a really good d-core last year, but you have to have a good goalie too and campion did do a solid job last year. the other goalie however is a different story, barely played last year and was shaky when he played. this year could be different though because the D will be weak and it will make both goalies look bad. if they win any big games it will be by a slim margin. probably 1 goal and because the goalies will have played out of their minds. simple as that.

Plain and simple Marshall will at most get a 5 or 6 seed. at most. i wouldn't be surprised if they lost to Windom this year. will definitely not win the conference.
Great insight! i wasn't sure about how marshall would be doing. It will be a real test for the goalies because they are used to the huge d holding them down. Should be a competitive season and anything could happen with the looks of this season!

StanleyYelnats

Post by StanleyYelnats » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:59 am

Practices around the section start today.

Should be an interesting year, section is overall down from the past few years. Litch returns from a disappointing season. Redwood could possibly get some suprising wins. With a few returning upperclassmen that led their team in points. Wouldn't be suprised. Luverne people once again talking as if they are on their way to the X already(just like every year). :roll: New Ulm loses key player Peterson. Marshall loses Schaeffer as part of an important decision in his early career. New coaches, key players gone, new season. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

no5hole

Post by no5hole » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:55 pm

Coach Scott has been with the tigers a long time and is an excellent coach. He will get the d ready. Nothing but respect for him. Don't count them out yet.

CornontheCobb

Post by CornontheCobb » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:09 am

no5hole wrote:Coach Scott has been with the tigers a long time and is an excellent coach. He will get the d ready. Nothing but respect for him. Don't count them out yet.
he is an excellent coach and has been with Marshall a long time.. But he also had Coach Pearson who was an excellent D-man to help and Scott was always blessed with a good core of D-man. this year will be a test for Scott to see what he can do. he has one returning D and the rest have probably played a combined period or two of varsity......on that note though, from what i have heard is that since the hiring of the new coach Scott has almost been non existent and that the head coach doesn't like to do anything unless its his way. i wouldn't be surprised if this was his last year.

hopefully that's wrong because Marshall will need all the help they can get due to the lack of experience of the new head coach.

StanleyYelnats

Post by StanleyYelnats » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:59 pm

Coach Mellentin I know has been with Marshall through Pearson and another previous coach. He's always got the D on track. Gonna be tough with not as many strong players. Marshall looking to be a sleeper in the section. Pearson is going to be hard to replace.

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:54 pm

So, just curious, how much stock are we going to put into this weekend? I have a feeling how these scrimmages go, will matter to the winners, and be blown off by the losers. Personally, i think they matter... While obviously they don't count, they will show us a clear picture of where those teams set up for the season...

Everyone thoughts??

notSoFast

What were the results today

Post by notSoFast » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:25 pm

Were the cards rollin today?

notSoFast

Re: What were the results today

Post by notSoFast » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:00 pm

Any thoughts from this past weekend?

Southwest13

Post by Southwest13 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:44 am

[quote="StanleyYelnats"]Practices around the section start today.

Should be an interesting year, section is overall down from the past few years. Litch returns from a disappointing season. Redwood could possibly get some suprising wins. With a few returning upperclassmen that led their team in points. Wouldn't be suprised. Luverne people once again talking as if they are on their way to the X already(just like every year). :roll: New Ulm loses key player Peterson. Marshall loses Schaeffer as part of an important decision in his early career. New coaches, key players gone, new season. Can't wait to see how it turns out.[/quote]

Luverne, New Ulm, and Litchfield will be pretty equal. New Ulm and Litchfield play better competition BUT I still dont see any of them beating Luverne after how close they were to making it to the EX last season. The returners from Luverne will do anything to win. Marshall will be better then what people think. Marshall will always be a contender. Marshall being the chaser team. You talk about Redwood!? They have no returning upperclassmen that led their team in points. 3 Seniors (Verdoes, Bailey, Skeie)led there team in points last season. Theyll need to count on foreigns. Windom has a big scorer and they could do some nice things this year. Worthington will be the same Worthington.

StanleyYelnats

Post by StanleyYelnats » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:54 am

Well, here's some scores from last night.

Northfield over New Ulm 4-1
Marshall beats Worthington 7-0
Willmar over Morris 10-7.

Thursday night games:
Luverne vs. Worthington
Windom vs. Marshall.

BP

Post by BP » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:56 pm

I thought Hutch would be pretty good? They lost 7-3 to Chaska tonight?

bardown27

Post by bardown27 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:01 pm

scores from tonight:

chaska over hutch 7-3
windom over marshall 5-4
litch over river lakes 6-4

last i heard worthington was tied with luverne 2-2. anyone have the final from that game?

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:02 pm

Heard that Luverne won the game in Worthington 9-2, and that the officials were the real story. Worthington had it all tied up until Scholtes, the goalie from Worthington was called for check from behind. Then the flood gates opened, and Luverne overcame them. Also, Luverne lost their leading scorer from last year in Wenninger, and another top 9 forward frankenhoff for Marshall on tuesday. According to the reports I heard from both sides, this film needs to be reviewed by the MSHSL. Really a shame when officials try to make such an impact on a game. Makes everyone look bad.
Sounds like Sengvongxay had four goals. Kid can play

bardown27

Post by bardown27 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:04 pm

so a goalie got a checking from behind penalty?

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:47 pm

bardown27 wrote:so a goalie got a checking from behind penalty?
Can't emphasize enough, the need for this officiating crew/ game to be reviewed, sounds like it was a complete abomonation.
And yes, goalie called for check from behind.
Several equipment calls, and all around failed effort by stripes.

CornontheCobb

Post by CornontheCobb » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:00 pm

notTONIGHT wrote:
Can't emphasize enough, the need for this officiating crew/ game to be reviewed, sounds like it was a complete abomonation.
several equipment calls??? what equipment calls were called? it sounds like there was an odd officiating crew to say the least

p_cku

Post by p_cku » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:37 pm

CornontheCobb wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote:
several equipment calls??? what equipment calls were called? it sounds like there was an odd officiating crew to say the least

Mouth Guards. You would have had to been there to believe how bad it was for both teams. The refs were a complete embarrassment to their profession.

StanleyYelnats

Post by StanleyYelnats » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:01 pm

hmm. That's why Worthington lost 9-2 is because of one penalty by a goalie. Don't kid yourself people. Luverne could've got all the penalties and still win.

And I agree, sounds like an odd group of officials!

And what happened to Marshall? Heard they let the prodigy from Windom walk all over them.

:lol: :lol:

Grocery_Stick

Post by Grocery_Stick » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:04 am

we have a few big games coming up this week! here are my predictions:

Redwood Valley @ Worthington - Should be a tough match up, maybe not the best quality games but most likely a close one. Going to give it to Redwood with a season opening and a few tragedies happening in the school recently, they should be playing with some sort of passion.

Marshall @ Luvurne Going to be a really interesting game, but against Windom, Marshall proved that losing all that defense is really costly. Should be a very good game with a solid chance for Marshall but i have to give it to Luvurne, high powered offense with a solid defense, they should be able to take this game by a couple.

LDC and Luvurne Another good game, Luvurne should be able to take it, but LDC is a dangerous team.

Should be some good games being played, Luvurne is being tested very early and they are looking to Prove themselves. Marshall also a tough early schedule, losing to Windom but beating Hutch, starting to show a little bit of surprise with their offense. Should be a good, and possibly early-defining week for the section

timcorbin21

Post by timcorbin21 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:25 pm

Hutch will get stronger in a couple of weeks. Doing so well in football takes a toll at the beginning of hockey season.Marshall played well in Hutch. Offensively they look the best they've been in a while. Defense this year is doing a better job of defending leaving the forwards to do the job on offense. They have a good shot at winning in Luverne with Wenninger and company sitting out.

Luverne with a full bench should take Litch unless they dont.

hutchtostate

Post by hutchtostate » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:50 pm

Hutch will get better yes. Too much talent on the team in Nielsen, Cowger and Adams. Kids have to get back into skating after a great football season. However, if the goalie situation doesn't improve it will be tough on the team. Too many easy goals went in the net as Hutch outshot Marshall. Hutch was better than Marshall, but when the goalie gives up the easy goals, it is difficult for the team to continue to play. Hutch dangled Marshall defense. Forwards worked hard, but the defense is a huge weak spot for Marshall - looked a little lost out there. Hutch will improve...goalie situation must improve.

CornontheCobb

Post by CornontheCobb » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:57 pm

timcorbin21 wrote:Hutch will get stronger in a couple of weeks. Doing so well in football takes a toll at the beginning of hockey season.Marshall played well in Hutch. Offensively they look the best they've been in a while. Defense this year is doing a better job of defending leaving the forwards to do the job on offense. They have a good shot at winning in Luverne with Wenninger and company sitting out.

Luverne with a full bench should take Litch unless they dont.

Marshall's defense must only show up sometimes then...where were they in Windom? they let a kid get 4 goals? not much for defense there. i think marshall's defense will be on and off throughout the year. more off than on

rollCARDSroll

Post by rollCARDSroll » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:26 pm

Would not be a Marshall v Luverne tilt without some chirping, Luverne is without their top scoring forward, Marshall is without a quality player....lLETS PLAY will be a good one tonight! BUCKLE UP !!!

ROLL CARDS ROLL!!!!!

fastncrash

BEST CHIRP!

Post by fastncrash » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:33 am

rollCARDSroll wrote:Would not be a Marshall v Luverne tilt without some chirping, Luverne is without their top scoring forward, Marshall is without a quality player....lLETS PLAY will be a good one tonight! BUCKLE UP !!!

ROLL CARDS ROLL!!!!!
The best CHIRP I overheard last weekend between two players ON the ice getting ready for a faceoff. "Your Hockey Bag has better wheels than you do!" :)