Happy's Rankings Week #2

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

HappyHockeyFan

Happy's Rankings Week #2

Post by HappyHockeyFan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:44 am

Ok so here we go, week #2, I have ranked teams in groups of 5 again this week. Next week most team will have between 4 and 7 games under their breezers so I will have a good feel for where to rank them positionally. And like last week, teams are listed alphabetically. Enjoy!!

Group 1
BSM
Duluth East
Eden Prairie
Edina
Minnetonka

Group 2
Burnsville
Eagan
Grand Rapids
Hillmurray
Wayzata

Group 3
Blaine
Cloquet
Elk River
Moorhead
Roseau

Group 4
Andover
Centennial
Holy Angels
Holy Family
Maple Grove

5 Teams to Watch

East Ridge
EastView
Forest Lake
Jefferson
Woodbury
It's not the Best players, it's the Right players! HB

mnmouth

Re: Happy's Rankings Week #2

Post by mnmouth » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:19 am

HappyHockeyFan wrote:Ok so here we go, week #2, I have ranked teams in groups of 5 again this week. Next week most team will have between 4 and 7 games under their breezers so I will have a good feel for where to rank them positionally. And like last week, teams are listed alphabetically. Enjoy!!

Group 1
BSM
Duluth East
Eden Prairie
Edina
Minnetonka

Group 2
Burnsville
Eagan
Grand Rapids
Hillmurray
Wayzata

Group 3
Blaine
Cloquet
Elk River
Moorhead
Roseau

Group 4
Andover
Centennial
Holy Angels
Holy Family
Maple Grove

5 Teams to Watch

East Ridge
EastView
Forest Lake
Jefferson
Woodbury
What are your reasons for Grand Rapids in Group 2? Seems a little high, based on what's going on right now.

HappyHockeyFan

Re: Happy's Rankings Week #2

Post by HappyHockeyFan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:09 pm

mnmouth wrote:
HappyHockeyFan wrote:Ok so here we go, week #2, I have ranked teams in groups of 5 again this week. Next week most team will have between 4 and 7 games under their breezers so I will have a good feel for where to rank them positionally. And like last week, teams are listed alphabetically. Enjoy!!

Group 1
BSM
Duluth East
Eden Prairie
Edina
Minnetonka

Group 2
Burnsville
Eagan
Grand Rapids
Hillmurray
Wayzata

Group 3
Blaine
Cloquet
Elk River
Moorhead
Roseau

Group 4
Andover
Centennial
Holy Angels
Holy Family
Maple Grove

5 Teams to Watch

East Ridge
EastView
Forest Lake
Jefferson
Woodbury
What are your reasons for Grand Rapids in Group 2? Seems a little high, based on what's going on right now.
Just not enough games yet to determine if they should be moved, I only moved two teams this week and that was Wayzata up from group 4 to group 2 due to their many games played, competition and overall results. I moved Andover out of group 2 to group 4 to make room for Wayzata and it was based partially on the 2 losses but the move really had more to do with making room for Wayzata. Next week after a couple more game to judge by I will rank the team positionally.

green4

Post by green4 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:40 pm

i really have enjoyed these groups of 5 to start this season off, my one tiny problem is Maple grove in group 4? they have not won and have looked ugly in the process

HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:14 am

green4 wrote:i really have enjoyed these groups of 5 to start this season off, my one tiny problem is Maple grove in group 4? they have not won and have looked ugly in the process
Ok I will try to explain as best I can. To start with I use the grouping process because I dont agree with placing teams positionally at the beginning of the season with no or very few games to evaluate them. All I have to base my projections on are last years results, loss of key players and returning key players. I have no knowledge of incoming players from JV or Bantam teams and transfers which can be an important part of any team. So I group them according to what I do know because I think you can make some fairly reasonable assumptions based on those things listed above to put them into groups but not to seperate them #1 from #2 and #2 from #3 and so forth. In using this system I try not to do much moving around from group to group until I have a solid 4 to 6 games to evaluate the teams. This week I only moved two teams and it was primarily because I felt strongly that Wayzata deserved to move up based on their results thus far, and with Andovers 2 losses they were the most logical team to move down. Although their 2 losses in themselves would not have been enough for me to move them down without the need to move Wayzata up, if that makes sense. As for Maple Grove specifically, 2 of their losses came against teams in their group and the other against a team from the top group. Losing to a team above them is never cause to move them down because they would have been an under dog going in so when they lose its expected. The 2 losses in their own group does suggest that they dont belong in that group and should move down but I did not see any teams below them that neccesarily deserved to move up. The possible exceptions would be Jefferson because of their win over Cloquet or Forest Lake with their win over Grand Rapids. However, I am not one to place too much emphasis on 1 win or 1 loss rather a trend of 2 or 3 wins or losses. After another week of games I will feel confident in placing the teams positionally for the rest of the season. I hope this answered your question. Sorry, I know it was a bit long winded.

D3Referee

Post by D3Referee » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:12 pm

HappyHockeyFan wrote:I only moved two teams and it was primarily because I felt strongly that Wayzata deserved to move up based on their results thus far.
Good read. Keep your eye on this team. I believe we have the best overall coaching in the State from mite-to-varsity and you can see that in each individual player as well as the team unit. Expect a lot of close wins based on the character of this team. They will find a way most of the time.

green4

Post by green4 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:06 pm

HappyHockeyFan wrote:
green4 wrote:i really have enjoyed these groups of 5 to start this season off, my one tiny problem is Maple grove in group 4? they have not won and have looked ugly in the process
Ok I will try to explain as best I can. To start with I use the grouping process because I dont agree with placing teams positionally at the beginning of the season with no or very few games to evaluate them. All I have to base my projections on are last years results, loss of key players and returning key players. I have no knowledge of incoming players from JV or Bantam teams and transfers which can be an important part of any team. So I group them according to what I do know because I think you can make some fairly reasonable assumptions based on those things listed above to put them into groups but not to seperate them #1 from #2 and #2 from #3 and so forth. In using this system I try not to do much moving around from group to group until I have a solid 4 to 6 games to evaluate the teams. This week I only moved two teams and it was primarily because I felt strongly that Wayzata deserved to move up based on their results thus far, and with Andovers 2 losses they were the most logical team to move down. Although their 2 losses in themselves would not have been enough for me to move them down without the need to move Wayzata up, if that makes sense. As for Maple Grove specifically, 2 of their losses came against teams in their group and the other against a team from the top group. Losing to a team above them is never cause to move them down because they would have been an under dog going in so when they lose its expected. The 2 losses in their own group does suggest that they dont belong in that group and should move down but I did not see any teams below them that neccesarily deserved to move up. The possible exceptions would be Jefferson because of their win over Cloquet or Forest Lake with their win over Grand Rapids. However, I am not one to place too much emphasis on 1 win or 1 loss rather a trend of 2 or 3 wins or losses. After another week of games I will feel confident in placing the teams positionally for the rest of the season. I hope this answered your question. Sorry, I know it was a bit long winded.
no no i liked the grouping idea you were doing, i was not wondering why you did it just saying that i enjoyed it.