Class A Rankings 12-2-12

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

How many teams would you like to see ranked this season?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:04 am

35%
26%
39%

Total votes: 31

HShockeywatcher

Class A Rankings 12-2-12

Post by HShockeywatcher » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:04 am

Looking forward to another great year of hockey and discussion. As always, I start the year going off of LPH's rankings and tweak from there going forward. I can't see every team play so the vast majority of what goes into my rankings are score comparisons.

There seems to be a lot of question marks beyond the Top 10 after a little over a week of play. I will stick with ranking 10 teams until either there is demand for more, or a handful of solid teams show themselves in the next few weeks.

Also, as always, I enjoy pointing out teams we might otherwise not make note of. If you think there is someone I missed, or someone who might be worth pointing out, let me know.

Enjoy!

1. Saint Thomas Academy (1-0)
The Cadets start the season with a hat trick from sophomore Christiano Versich, with both he and Tommy Novak notching 4 points, against #8 Rochester Lourdes. It will be interesting to see what people think about the possibility of dropping the Cadets early in the season, as they play 2 Class A teams in their first 10 games. This week will be a great test AA #17 Holy Family, last year they played the Fire without Shane Gersich, and in their yearly battle with AA #4 Minnetonka who was off their schedule for one year.
This week: Tues @ Holy Family Catholic, Thurs @ Minnetonka

2. Breck (1-0)
The Mustangs start the season with a close win at Duluth Marshall in which they were outshot 36-33. Ending the year as LPH's #3 team, losing to St Thomas 1-0 in the semi's and ending up with the 3rd place trophy last year, it will be interesting to see how the Mustangs fair this year without Keegan Iverson.
This week: Tues @ #6 St Cloud Cathedral, Thurs vs #15 Mahtomedi, Sat vs Delano

3. Hermantown (2-0)
The Hawks start off the season, in similar fashion to last year, with two home shutouts by a combined score of 21-0. Can they make it 4 shutouts to start the season as they host Hopkins and TRF this week? The Hawks definitely lost team from last year, as 4 of their top 5 scorers graduated, but they return four 20 points scorers from last year and a total of six with 10 or more points from last year. The biggest question mark this year will likely be between the pipes as both goalies last year were seniors. Each of their two junior goalies this year have started one of the two games and gotten a shut out; so far so good.
This week: Fri vs Hopkins, Sat @ #7 Thief River Falls

4. Duluth Marshall (2-1)
The Hilltoppers started the season with two home wins, followed by a close loss to Breck in which they outshot the Mustangs showing how close the top teams are to start the season. Their next three games will be on the road where they will be tested against both Hibbing and Grand Rapids.
This week: Tues @ #11 Hibbing, Sat @ Blake

5. Totino-Grace (1-0-1)
The Eagles start the season with a two goal will over the Prowlers and a tie the following day with the Green Wave. The Eagles will have plenty of opportunity to prove themselves this season with a solid schedule.
This week: Thurs @ Blake, Sat vs Irondale

6. East Grand Forks (2-0-1)
The Green Wave are the first team to make a jump this season and maybe it's not a big enough jump. Their first three games were on the road, with the first two being shut outs over Park Rapids and #7 Cathedral, and a tie to Totino-Grace. While they lost their leading scorer, they did return three of their top 5 scorers from last year. I have the same issue with the Green wave as last year; with their geographic location, they don't play many top teams, so they could theoretically run the table and not crack the Top 5. It'll be interesting to watch them develop through out the season in the 8A race as well as state wide.
This week: Tues @ Bemidji

7. St. Cloud Cathedral (2-1)
The Crusaders were shut out at home by a team most would've predicted them to beat. I have seen talk in different threads about them having a shot at beating Hermantown to go to state. They will be tested twice this week playing two top 10 teams, then will likely not be tested again until the new year. Can they travel to Rochester and win?
This week: Tues vs #2 Breck, Sat @ #9 Lourdes

8. Thief River Falls (1-2)
The Prowlers started the season with three roads games; two close losses and a shut out over Blake. After that bit of traveling, their next 9 games are at home, which should be good for them, and it appears they only have 8 away games this season. Last year they lost to Hermantown twice by scores of 3-1 and 3-2, can this week's home game be different?
This week: Fri vs Tartan, Sat vs #3 Hermantown

9. Rochester Lourdes (0-1)
The Eagles started their season losing to the #1 team, so no worries yet. They play most of the top Class A teams in the state this season, so they will have plenty of opportunity to prove themselves throughout this season. They will get two opportunities this week hosting a good Chanhassen team and then Cathedral this coming weekend.
This week: Tues @ New Prague, Thurs vs Chanhassen, Sat vs #7 Cathedral

10. Little Falls (3-0)
The Flyers start their season with 3 road games, and 3 wins, with one shut out and allowing 1 goal in each of the other two. This is a very promising start, but looking over their schedule, there doesn't seem to be much opportunity to rise without serious stumbles from those above them. It'd be interesting to see them make a nice run this season as they generally have quality teams.
This week: Fri vs Fergus Falls

Some teams to watch:
Hibbing/Chisholm (2-3)
This week: Tues vs #4 Duluth Marshall, Sat vs Roseau

Warroad (2-0)
This week: Tues @ LOW, Fri @ Virginia, Sat @ Grand Rapids

Delano (4-0)
This week: Sat @ #2 Breck

Mankato West (3-0)
This week: Tues @ Albert Lea, Thurs vs Mayo, Sat @ Century

Chisago Lakes Area (3-1)
This week: Mon vs Princeton, Fri @ Minnehaha Academy

mnmouth

Post by mnmouth » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:54 am

Due to the ongoing debate on your STA club's validity as a Class A team, and the disregard of Class A, generally, I was wondering if you had it in you for another run. Though I would not have faulted you for bagging it entirely, I, for one, am happy to see you back at it.

That stated, go _______ (insert any club beside the Cadets)! :wink:

slicedsenior

Post by slicedsenior » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:51 pm

Why bring up Iverson? His HS hockey career is over. (and college)
Breck will be just fine this year.
They have Colford and Lindstrom (D1 prospects),
a bunch of very solid underclassmen and an under rated goalie.

TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:13 pm

Well watcher, here we go again.

I believe, although I am biased, that EGF will be in the top 3 or 4 this year.

All the feedback I am getting is that they are much more balanced this year.

In fact, against SCC, they had 3 majors for 5 minutes each, and still managed to outshoot Cathedral by quite a bit and shut them out, at Cathedral.

Last year, EGF lost to Edina in the championship game of the Bantam A state tournament, and these players are starting to show up on the varsity.

Maybe they can be the team that finally gives your club a run for their money. :D

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:20 pm

mnmouth wrote:Due to the ongoing debate on your STA club's validity as a Class A team, and the disregard of Class A, generally, I was wondering if you had it in you for another run. Though I would not have faulted you for bagging it entirely, I, for one, am happy to see you back at it.

That stated, go _______ (insert any club beside the Cadets)! :wink:
Eh, it's all good for discussion. I obviously started this because of the class of my alma mater, but it wasn't to talk them up, simply to rank the teams in their class. All of last season, most people claimed they'd likely lose the title. Looking back on it, they were only one goal better than Breck twice, Totino twice and Marshall once, with three of them going into overtime.

They are the favorite, as are BSM and Edina in AA, but there are many good teams this year and 25 games or so left; anything can happen.

Looking forward to a good season again and much [respectful] discussion 8)
TTpuckster wrote:Well watcher, here we go again.

I hope you're right; it would be great to see it. I'm still not sure how, with their schedule, they could get much higher without a serious stumble above them, but it would be great to see it happen. 8A is always tough, but it would be great to see them in March and a small number in their L column.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:42 pm

Lourdes just finished playing football last Saturday and had some really key members of their squad on that football team. They could drop a couple early on while they get those kids up to speed, a 1-3 start wouldn't suprise me but I don't think that will be a true gauge of how Lourdes will be either.

northern_guy

Post by northern_guy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:22 am

In fact, against SCC, they had 3 majors for 5 minutes each, and still managed to outshoot Cathedral by quite a bit and shut them out, at Cathedral.

Last year, EGF lost to Edina in the championship game of the Bantam A state tournament, and these players are starting to show up on the varsity.

Maybe they can be the team that finally gives your club a run for their money. :D
After watching EGF play SCC...they will go as high as ranked 4th i believe...they are a well balanced club and skate well...SCC will have a tough time being ranked higher than 8th all season after what i saw and whAt i think will happen in their remaining games against any ranked team...the only ranked team they will beat all year is LF which isnt saying much.

DKS1962

Post by DKS1962 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:33 pm

Didn't LF win the Consolation Bracket last year "which isn't,t saying much"

Nice slam to a small A program.

SimplyPut

Post by SimplyPut » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:47 pm

seems to have a lot of private schools in the mix. maybe they should be in a seperate classification?

Teak

Post by Teak » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Normally, I would say "show 10" for a ranking, but with so many privates clogging up the upper part of the ranking, we have to go to 15 or 20 to see some of the out-state public schools.

truehockeyfan

Post by truehockeyfan » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:23 pm

northern_guy wrote:

After watching EGF play SCC...they will go as high as ranked 4th i believe...they are a well balanced club and skate well...SCC will have a tough time being ranked higher than 8th all season after what i saw and whAt i think will happen in their remaining games against any ranked team...the only ranked team they will beat all year is LF which isnt saying much.
:) :lol:

defense

Post by defense » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:30 pm

My question is: will any of the good guys be able to knock off the all stars this year?

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:56 pm

defense wrote:My question is: will any of the good guys be able to knock off the all stars this year?
Who are the "good guys?" Public schools or anyone else?
Cathedral topped Breck, EGF is playing well, TG, DM and Breck all played them to five 1 goal games last year, 3 that went to OT.
So, I see opportunity. Will they? Probably not? 8)

rainier

Post by rainier » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:15 pm

defense wrote:My question is: will any of the good guys be able to knock off the all stars this year?
I think TG is the only team in A with even a whisper of a chance to beat STA this season. Not that they're the good guys, but I don't see anyone else doing it. Hermantown was outstanding last season (four D1 caliber defensemen) yet STA destroyed them at state.

I hope somebody knocks them off, but I wouldn't bet on it. Part of me wants them to win because it may motivate the school officials to finally show they have souls and opt up. I wouldn't bet on that either.

thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:48 pm

rainier wrote:I hope somebody knocks them off, but I wouldn't bet on it. Part of me wants them to win because it may motivate the school officials to finally show they have souls and opt up. I wouldn't bet on that either.
If they get one for the thumb and still don't opt up they never will.

spectatorfun

Post by spectatorfun » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:22 pm

The reason schools like Breck and TG can't beat St Thomas is because they get out coached. Breck has talent every year but no coaching. TG has coaching but not that much talent. St Thomas has talent and coaching They will win every year until the other schools either get better coaching or more talent.

St Thomas another State Championship...............

rainier

Post by rainier » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:44 pm

Wow, the latest LPH/Hub Class A rankings are terrible. TRF is still ahead of EGF?? SCC is ahead of EGF??? Breck is still #2??? Based on the latest results, it should be:

1. STA
2. Hermantown
3. EGF
4. T-G
5. Breck
6. D-Marshall
7. SCC
8. LF
9. Warroad
10. TRF

defense

Post by defense » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:51 pm

HShockeywatcher wrote:
Who are the "good guys?" Public schools or anyone else?
Cathedral topped Breck, EGF is playing well, TG, DM and Breck all played them to five 1 goal games last year, 3 that went to OT.
So, I see opportunity. Will they? Probably not? 8)
It adds spice to the talk... I don't discriminate or judge, I hate all the private schools equally;)

BobSaget

Post by BobSaget » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:12 pm

rainier wrote:Wow, the latest LPH/Hub Class A rankings are terrible. TRF is still ahead of EGF?? SCC is ahead of EGF??? Breck is still #2??? Based on the latest results, it should be:

1. STA
2. Hermantown
3. EGF
4. T-G
5. Breck
6. D-Marshall
7. SCC
8. LF
9. Warroad
10. TRF
I don't see the logic in putting Breck and DM ahead of SCC after SCC just beat Breck and Breck beat DM. However, it doesn't really matter.

rainier

Post by rainier » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:18 pm

BobSaget wrote:
rainier wrote:Wow, the latest LPH/Hub Class A rankings are terrible. TRF is still ahead of EGF?? SCC is ahead of EGF??? Breck is still #2??? Based on the latest results, it should be:

1. STA
2. Hermantown
3. EGF
4. T-G
5. Breck
6. D-Marshall
7. SCC
8. LF
9. Warroad
10. TRF
I don't see the logic in putting Breck and DM ahead of SCC after SCC just beat Breck and Breck beat DM. However, it doesn't really matter.
Yeah, its kind of convoluted. My real point was that it was insane to have EGF behind TRF & SCC. Putting SCC at 5 or 6 makes sense.