Suburban East

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

FL 4 Stillwater 3.. Rangers 3 -0.
joehockey

Post by joehockey »

Roseville 2 Woodbury 2 tie
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

How good is this Hastings team?
sportsguy29

Post by sportsguy29 »

Hastings defeats Park 7-3 tonight, and have scored 14 goals in their last two games. Now 4-1 overall, 3-0 in the SEC, with their other conference wins against Stillwater and White Bear. Not bad.
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

The last few years there has been a SEC day where all the SEC games were held at 1 venue. does anyone know if that is happening this year?
sportsguy29

Post by sportsguy29 »

Not happening this year...
inthetwine wrote:The last few years there has been a SEC day where all the SEC games were held at 1 venue. does anyone know if that is happening this year?
SECBLUES

Post by SECBLUES »

sportsguy29 wrote:Hastings defeats Park 7-3 tonight, and have scored 14 goals in their last two games. Now 4-1 overall, 3-0 in the SEC, with their other conference wins against Stillwater and White Bear. Not bad.
Sportsguy29, are we going to expect some better teams for a while from Hastings, or in your opinion is this just early season success? Either way, I hope Hastings is on their game for the Christmas tourney. It looks like a good line up of teams this year. Woodbury and Hastings face off in the firts round this year. =D> =D>
sportsguy29

Post by sportsguy29 »

They have really played well. More balance this year than the program has had in years. And it isn't JUST the Boys Hockey Program, it's all across the board, more kids, more talent out for sports the last two years, and you are seeing that start to pay off. Good depth, they can skate, and they have a young goalie that can steal you a game too. Should be fun to watch.
SECBLUES wrote:
sportsguy29 wrote:Hastings defeats Park 7-3 tonight, and have scored 14 goals in their last two games. Now 4-1 overall, 3-0 in the SEC, with their other conference wins against Stillwater and White Bear. Not bad.
Sportsguy29, are we going to expect some better teams for a while from Hastings, or in your opinion is this just early season success? Either way, I hope Hastings is on their game for the Christmas tourney. It looks like a good line up of teams this year. Woodbury and Hastings face off in the firts round this year. =D> =D>
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

White Bear has looked much better in their last 2 games with wins over Cloquet and Eastridge. Maybe there is hope yet!
2legit2quitguy

Post by 2legit2quitguy »

inthetwine wrote:White Bear has looked much better in their last 2 games with wins over Cloquet and Eastridge. Maybe there is hope yet!
Regardless of the outcome of next week's game with HM, those 2 will play for a section title and it will be a 1-2 goal game .
joris016

Post by joris016 »

@2legit2quitguy

Don't count out Mounds View yet, or even Stillwater to meet up with Hill in the section final. MV has yet to lose. WBL and MV play tomorrow night so we will see how they match up.
meridian90

Post by meridian90 »

joris016 wrote:@2legit2quitguy

Don't count out Mounds View yet, or even Stillwater to meet up with Hill in the section final. MV has yet to lose. WBL and MV play tomorrow night so we will see how they match up.
Mounds View tops WB in OT 6-5 tonight.

Here's my take. WB is really young, and some of the younger guys are really learning on the fly. Again, a senior Assistant captain takes a major CFB and game misconduct, forcing a freshman into the top 4 on D.

too many turnovers in their own zone cost WB 3 of the 6 goals. Whalin is carrying them right now, with 17 points in 5 games. Giller seems to be starting to figure out how to put the puck in the net and I expect him to start to help Whalin out. Also, #21 (don't know the name) looks like he can score as well.

Their problem is their D. Its not that the goalies are playing poor, its that the D are turning it over in their own zone or the neutral zone and giving up breakaways and odd man rushes. If the D improves, i think that the team will steadily improve and be significantly better by the end of the year.

Lastly, I think that with another season under their belt, next year they could be an extremely talented team and have a really good shot to get back to the tourney. the key will be if Whalin stays (I really don't understand guys leaving early from high school to play juniors. I would give anything to go back and get another shot at high school)

I don't have any info whether whalin has thought about next year anyway, but they look to have a young team that could really challenge in the coming years.
WBLHockeyfan04

Post by WBLHockeyfan04 »

meridian90 wrote:

Here's my take. WB is really young, and some of the younger guys are really learning on the fly. Again, a senior Assistant captain takes a major CFB and game misconduct, forcing a freshman into the top 4 on D.

too many turnovers in their own zone cost WB 3 of the 6 goals. Whalin is carrying them right now, with 17 points in 5 games. Giller seems to be starting to figure out how to put the puck in the net and I expect him to start to help Whalin out. Also, #21 (don't know the name) looks like he can score as well.

Their problem is their D. Its not that the goalies are playing poor, its that the D are turning it over in their own zone or the neutral zone and giving up breakaways and odd man rushes. If the D improves, i think that the team will steadily improve and be significantly better by the end of the year.

Lastly, I think that with another season under their belt, next year they could be an extremely talented team and have a really good shot to get back to the tourney. the key will be if Whalin stays (I really don't understand guys leaving early from high school to play juniors. I would give anything to go back and get another shot at high school)

I don't have any info whether whalin has thought about next year anyway, but they look to have a young team that could really challenge in the coming years.

That about sums it up. The defense is really lacking, and this is nothing new here. Other than Delaney, this unit really lacks speed, size, and experience. I'm not sure how many times you need to skate the puck in front of your own net before you realize you're NOT SUPPOSE TO DO THAT! How many times 20, 50, 100? This has been the theme for these White Bear teams for years now, and with a lack of talent it's going to cost them more games later in the year if they can't ever correct it. They don't have the horses on offense to overcome their mishaps on defense as in years past.

On a side not, Jake Wahlin has been so impressive. I sure hope he sticks around, because he has a chance to be put up some gaudy numbers over a four year career as a Bear. What a start to the year for that young man!
meridian90

Post by meridian90 »

WBLHockeyfan04 wrote: On a side not, Jake Wahlin has been so impressive. I sure hope he sticks around, because he has a chance to be put up some gaudy numbers over a four year career as a Bear. What a start to the year for that young man!
Its worth it for anyone to go to the games just to watch him skate.

If he sticks it out four years (again, I don't see a reason he shouldn't. kloos will be headed to the gophers next year, and he played all four years just fine) he may end up being one of those guys that we still talk about 20 years later (like we do with bonin)

again, i hope he sticks it out. Greer and Anderson are good coaches that can help prepare him for the next level, so I hope he is listening and learning from them
WBLHockeyfan04

Post by WBLHockeyfan04 »

2legit2quitguy wrote:
inthetwine wrote:White Bear has looked much better in their last 2 games with wins over Cloquet and Eastridge. Maybe there is hope yet!
Regardless of the outcome of next week's game with HM, those 2 will play for a section title and it will be a 1-2 goal game .

I would say it's less likely they won't. Even if they did, I find it hard to believe that WBL would keep it that close. It could be a slaughtering next Tuesday... I'm going to say Hill Murray 7-2 right now. :shock:
meridian90

Post by meridian90 »

WBLHockeyfan04 wrote:
2legit2quitguy wrote:

I would say it's less likely they won't. Even if they did, I find it hard to believe that WBL would keep it that close. It could be a slaughtering next Tuesday... I'm going to say Hill Murray 7-2 right now. :shock:
I don't doubt it could be a rough one. It will be interesting to see how well the WB offense is. I could still see them scoring 5-6 goals, but I could also see them giving up 7-8...

Reminds me of the of the 2001 Hill Murray team. Score in bunches... give up bunches +1.
Orty

Post by Orty »

WBLHockeyfan04 wrote:
meridian90 wrote:

That about sums it up. The defense is really lacking, and this is nothing new here. Other than Delaney, this unit really lacks speed, size, and experience. I'm not sure how many times you need to skate the puck in front of your own net before you realize you're NOT SUPPOSE TO DO THAT! How many times 20, 50, 100? This has been the theme for these White Bear teams for years now, and with a lack of talent it's going to cost them more games later in the year if they can't ever correct it. They don't have the horses on offense to overcome their mishaps on defense as in years past.

On a side not, Jake Wahlin has been so impressive. I sure hope he sticks around, because he has a chance to be put up some gaudy numbers over a four year career as a Bear. What a start to the year for that young man!
How did Mounds View look?
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

meridian90 wrote:
WBLHockeyfan04 wrote:
2legit2quitguy wrote: Regardless of the outcome of next week's game with HM, those 2 will play for a section title and it will be a 1-2 goal game .

I don't doubt it could be a rough one. It will be interesting to see how well the WB offense is. I could still see them scoring 5-6 goals, but I could also see them giving up 7-8...

Reminds me of the of the 2001 Hill Murray team. Score in bunches... give up bunches +1.
You're nuts if you think HM will give up 5-6 goals to the Bears. :roll:

As for the game last night..... It's a game of penalties. This checking from behind thing is way out of hand. Both teams received one, and I didnt' think either was that bad. The worst hit of the night was when the MV player takes off from center ice and drills the WBL kid in front of the MV bench. By far the most dangerous play of the night and he only gets a 5 minute boarding call, when the CFB guys get 5 + game misconducts.

Like said before, the WBL defense really gave this game away. I counted 4 of the 6 goals were due to give - aways in the defensive zone. Although, I think a center might have been responsible for 1 or 2 of them. This banging the puck around the boards and having the wing chip it out to the middle is not a good thing, when its the opponents sitting in the middle of the zone receiving the puck. You also got to love that no pressure penalty kill. :roll: Sit back and block shots, or have the goalie not see anything coming his way.
meridian90

Post by meridian90 »

Orty wrote: How did Mounds View look?
They looked better than when I have seen them in the past. None of their lines really stood out, but none of them looked super vulnerable either.

Like BodyShots said, it really was the story of the WB D doing 2 things:

1. Turning over the puck (handing over might be a better term) in the dead center of the zone or the slot or..
2. Defensemen jumping into the offensive zone and not getting back, thus giving up odd man rushes.

and Bodyshots, your probably right, 5-6 might be a huge pie in the sky guess, but I would hope they could at least get 3-4. A lot will depend on how chippy/penalty laden the game gets.

One positive note, there has been extremely noticeable improvements in the young forwards, specifically welch and giller in their backchecking after there was literally none against woodbury/hastings.
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

Orty wrote:
WBLHockeyfan04 wrote:
meridian90 wrote: Mounds View tops WB in OT 6-5 tonight.

WBL's defense did play poorly, but this is the best MV team I have seen in quite awhile. They have size, speed and work reallly hard.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

It's a wide open race to the SEC championship this year. If there ever was a year for MV to win it, I think this is their year.

Just when Hastings looks like they have something going, they lose to East Ridge. Flake beats a supposed top 15 team in Grand Rapids, and then loses last night to Roseville. The Bears are young and will have an up and down season, and Stillwater right now doesn't look like they are going to be a top team.
SimplyPut

Post by SimplyPut »

I agree. not alot of consistancy so far. seems like the teams that have started to struggle are struggling on Goaltending as well as maybe inexperience at D.

this will make every game day in the SEC exciting. so sit back and enjoy. next week their may be a new team where talking about (Top and bottom)
WBLHockeyfan04

Post by WBLHockeyfan04 »

inthetwine wrote:
Orty wrote:
WBLHockeyfan04 wrote:

WBL's defense did play poorly, but this is the best MV team I have seen in quite awhile. They have size, speed and work reallly hard.

I agree. No one specific player stood out to me, but they have pretty good speed, size, and they capitilized on the opportunities presented to them. I can definitely see them winning the SEC, making a deep run in section 4AA.